New Sheriff In Town

dminches

New Sheriff In Town
« on: 5 Jun 2015, 02:43 am »
Ha.  The last thing I want to do as the new facilitator is police.

What I do hope I will be able to do is generate interest among Vandersteen owners, past, current and future, to discuss their experiences with Richard's wonderful creations. 

My main speakers have been Vandersteens since 1985.  I purchased a pair of 2Cs from Chestnut Hill audio in Philadelphia.  I upgraded to 3A Sigs about 10 years. ago  I kept them for 4 years and then purchased a pair of lightly used 5As.  2 months ago I traded in the 5As and bought a new pair of Model 7 MKIs.  Needless to say, I am in audio heaven.

Anyway, enough about me.  Please share your stories and let's keep this thread active.  I will try to seed different topics on a regular basis, but you guys (and gals) need to be active to keep it interesting.

David

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: New Sheriff In Town
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2015, 02:51 am »
Congratulations as the new facilitator... :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2015, 03:42 am »
Thanks for stepping up and keeping the Circle around, David.  :beer:

Have fun,

Jerry

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2015, 05:06 am »
Congrats - I remember listening to 2Cs at Chestnut Hill Audio in Philly many moons ago too.

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2015, 08:28 am »
Cool beans!  Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Vandersteens are one of my favorite cone speakers.  I have owned the 2C & 2Ci.  Been lusting for a pair of 3A Sigs recently but haven't stumbled across a pair that are close.  Don't really want to deal with shipping them.

I'll be poking my nose in occasionally.

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2015, 03:02 pm »
dminches, thanks for taking over the forum. I have read your comments before here on AC and you always have some good info to share. I think what I like about AC is that regardless of what kind of system one can afford to put together, we all share in the enjoyment of listening to great sound. Some of us, myself included, have modest systems. I have the 2CE Sig II speakers that were a big step up from what I had before that. So I think one can enjoy a step up in a smaller budget system, as much as one can enjoy a step up in a luxury system. It's all fun, it's all an education too.
BTW I was a fan of Vandersteen speakers the first time I heard them. I think Mr. Vandersteen has a great mind for speaker design. That being said, there are many good minds out there in audioworld designing wonderful speakers. The list would be long.... I like Volti audio and Magnepan. There are some here that many people like- Salk, GR and others. So there is flavor and sound for all.

jupiterboy

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2015, 03:10 pm »
Posted here previously and noted the echo. I just rehomed my 1Cs with a nice young guy in town. He's looking for an inexpensive integrated or such to drive them. His old Emerson proved unfit when I delivered the speakers, unfortunately.

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2015, 03:18 pm »
dminches, thanks for taking over the forum. I have read your comments before here on AC and you always have some good info to share. I think what I like about AC is that regardless of what kind of system one can afford to put together, we all share in the enjoyment of listening to great sound. Some of us, myself included, have modest systems. I have the 2CE Sig II speakers that were a big step up from what I had before that. So I think one can enjoy a step up in a smaller budget system, as much as one can enjoy a step up in a luxury system. It's all fun, it's all an education too.
BTW I was a fan of Vandersteen speakers the first time I heard them. I think Mr. Vandersteen has a great mind for speaker design. That being said, there are many good minds out there in audioworld designing wonderful speakers. The list would be long.... I like Volti audio and Magnepan. There are some here that many people like- Salk, GR and others. So there is flavor and sound for all.

I still think that the 2CE Sigs are the best value in speakers.  I liked them better than my 3A Sigs.

There are tons of speakers out there that fit the category of "musical" to me.  Most of what you mentioned I have listened to and enjoyed.

geowak

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2015, 03:34 pm »
You are correct, the 2CE Sig is a great bargain! I guess I would just add this- "Party on, Wayne" ...Excellant!
Added note; Pop this CD in and listen to the bass these speakers should not have. I bet the 7's would really shine.
http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=70

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2015, 07:19 pm »
There's a new sheriff in town...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2015, 03:54 pm »
David,

Thanks for volunteering.   :thumb:

You won't need to worry to much about policing us...we are a pretty tame group.

I have had my 5A's for around 10 years now and still love them! 

I still vividly remember the first time I heard them at Audio Connection in NJ and was utterly blown away by them.  From that point until I owned them, they were my Holy Grail of speakers.

Wish I could make the jump to Model 7's...maybe one day.

George

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2015, 11:28 am »
dminches wrote "3A Sigs about 10 years. ago  I kept them for 4 years and then purchased a pair of lightly used 5As.  2 months ago I traded in the 5As and bought a new pair of Model 7 MKIs.  Needless to say, I am in audio heaven."
So can you describe for use the changes you heard when going from the
1) 2005 3A Sigs to the 2009 5A
2) 2009 5A to the 2012 7 MK1

dminches

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2015, 02:39 pm »
dminches wrote "3A Sigs about 10 years. ago  I kept them for 4 years and then purchased a pair of lightly used 5As.  2 months ago I traded in the 5As and bought a new pair of Model 7 MKIs.  Needless to say, I am in audio heaven."
So can you describe for use the changes you heard when going from the
1) 2005 3A Sigs to the 2009 5A
2) 2009 5A to the 2012 7 MK1

It is a little difficult to make straight comparisons because the electronics changed along the way, but the detail of the music changed dramatically going from the 3A sigs to the 5As.  Equally significant was the improvement in the low end with the introduction of the subwoofer in the 5As.  This not only covers the lower bass but it also frees up the woofer since it doesn't have to deal with a range of frequencies.

The model 7s take all this to a new level.  The tweeter and midrange performance are further enhanced in the 7s and the integration from one driver to the other is seemless.  As much as I loved my 5As, the 7s are on a completely different level in all aspects.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2015, 03:46 pm »
As much as I loved my 5As, the 7s are on a completely different level in all aspects.

Congratulations on the Facilitator gig, and moving up to the 7s. What amplifier(s) are you using?

dminches

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2015, 06:03 pm »
Congratulations on the Facilitator gig, and moving up to the 7s. What amplifier(s) are you using?

I am using a pair of Ayre MX-Rs.  They haven't been upgraded to the Twenties yet.  I have heard that is a pretty significant upgrade, soundwise.

kenreau

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2015, 09:26 pm »
David, thanks for taking this on.

I've had my 5As a little over a year now and absolutely love them.  I've gone through (several)Merlin VSMs, Joseph Audio RM33s, Harbeth 40.1s and feel I reached the end of the road with the 5As (as far as what I can afford).  If I ever come into some money, the 7s will be on my bucket list.

Ciao
Kenreau

The model 7s take all this to a new level.  The tweeter and midrange performance are further enhanced in the 7s and the integration from one driver to the other is seemless.  As much as I loved my 5As, the 7s are on a completely different level in all aspects.

ctsooner

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jun 2015, 03:19 pm »
Brand new to Vandersteen.  I listened to nearly everything out there over the last two years and I now have Vandersteen Treo's with Ayre AX5/Twenty, Empirical Audio OSDE/SE and a mac mini server with power supply..  Basis 1400 with Benz cart, Rhea phono with all AQ cables and an SR Powercell 10 mk II Tesla.  I love what Vandy's do.  They take things to another level with their lack of smearing.  That does everything for the sound.  His use of pistonic drivers cost more than others, but it's worth the cost to us as we get real sound, not just hi fi sound. You either get it or you don't. 

I recently heard the 7's with Ayre Ref Twenty series and WOW.  It's another league.  I've also enjoyed the new Vandy amp, but have heard the newest model is KILLER.  The sweet spot in the lineup are the Quatro's I think.  I will upgrade as soon as someone purchases my Treo's.  Great forum.  Thanks David

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2015, 12:06 am »
Indeed; congrats!.. 'Twas 'mine' once; now it's yours.   :D :green: :D :green:

Reggie

« Reply #18 on: 26 Sep 2015, 12:15 am »
Just found this forum thanks to dminches. Looking forward to reading about Vandersteens here and everyone's experiences.

dminches

« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2015, 12:41 pm »
Welcome Reggie.  There is a lot of good Vandersteen information shared here.