DAC-9

kevb

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #100 on: 19 May 2016, 06:53 pm »
What if you replace them with newer models? Do maintenance costs go down?  :o

It's like buying a brand new car with high payments, while still making the monthly payments on your old one that is long gone.  :lol:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #101 on: 19 May 2016, 08:15 pm »
I have kept my model for 25 years, and look forward to the next 25 years. This allows me to spend more on audio in the long run. :thumb:

kevb

« Reply #102 on: 19 May 2016, 08:50 pm »
If you want the ESS DAC more neutral sound, wait for the NuPrime Omnia server+player, target to ship in October.

Or buy both and put them in different systems.   :thumb:

kevb

« Reply #103 on: 19 May 2016, 08:53 pm »
I have kept my model for 25 years, and look forward to the next 25 years. This allows me to spend more on audio in the long run. :thumb:

I've had mine for 21.  I have to do "covert" purchases if only because the basement looks like a used audio shop.   :D

Tauko

« Reply #104 on: 29 May 2016, 07:13 pm »

John Casler

« Reply #105 on: 30 May 2016, 06:05 am »

Yes, and I can say that Michael is a LUCKY MAN.  I have met Melody, and she is more than the Model Wife, but she is a wonderful person and friend.

I could tell this the moment I met her.  She even sat in the Casler LISTENING CHAMBER and actually seemed to "like" it.

Yes, Michael, you are a LUCKY MAN  :thumb:

mresseguie

« Reply #106 on: 30 May 2016, 06:17 am »
Thanks, John!

I just showed Melody what you wrote (and explained what led up to this). She laughed and asked me to thank you for the compliment, but also wanted me to correct you. She said she is not a model wife; she is a TROPHY wife!  :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #107 on: 30 May 2016, 01:11 pm »
Thanks, John!

I just showed Melody what you wrote (and explained what led up to this). She laughed and asked me to thank you for the compliment, but also wanted me to correct you. She said she is not a model wife; she is a TROPHY wife!  :thumb:

Please tell her that I AGREE and still wish she had an older sister.  8)

What happened to the pictures we took at my house at the listening session?

mresseguie

« Reply #108 on: 30 May 2016, 06:27 pm »
As this is way OT, I will delete this post after I'm sure you have seen it.

Deleted...... :thumb:
« Last Edit: 1 Jun 2016, 07:03 am by mresseguie »

Tauko

« Reply #109 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:22 pm »
I bought a dac-9 but i have 2 problem. The constant hum from the toroid and an interesting distortion/crackling noise with male voices. :(

larsg

« Reply #110 on: 19 Jun 2016, 05:26 pm »
Also have a DAC-9 with constant hum buth the sound is allright.

rustydoglim

« Reply #111 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:43 pm »
You should contact support@nuprimeaudio.com and provide the serial number with problem description. Sounds like a defective power supply.

Tubegem

« Reply #112 on: 23 Jun 2016, 09:31 pm »
DAC-9 preamp is very high-end using switch resistor design so it won't affect your performance and if you want to "bypass" it because you have a preamp, then just fix its volume. I bet you can get rid of your external preamp.

Shipping December 7 from factory so take about 5 days to reach USA.
Does this mean, you can fix the volume on the analogue input and use the DAC-9 in an HT bypass mode.  I believe the DAC-10 also is capable of this.

I have split my HT and 2 channel to two different rooms/floors. However, I'm not happy to the occasional 2 channel listening in the HT room in which I'm using a pre-pro + multi channel amp. So if I want the ability to play digital music files by going from the DAC-9 or DAC-10 directly to the front channels of the amp, and than use the HT bypass mode when viewing movies, or do I need a full integrated to do this? Thank you in advance.

rustydoglim

« Reply #113 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:53 pm »
So if I want the ability to play digital music files by going from the DAC-9 or DAC-10 directly to the front channels of the amp, and than use the HT bypass mode when viewing movies, or do I need a full integrated to do this? Thank you in advance.

Normally this is the setup:
HT-pre-pro main L and R pre-out goes to DAC-9 analog inputs. Use the remote volume control to memorise the volume (it will remember the switch resistor level setting). Digital music source (CDP, computer) goes into DAC-9. DAC-9 outputs go to the amp.
So when watching movies, you select the DAC-9 analog input (where the volume is already memorised) and adjust the volume from your HT pre-pro.

Nidri17

« Reply #114 on: 29 Jun 2016, 08:30 pm »

agdev01

« Reply #115 on: 29 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm »
DAC-9 review on Headfonics:

http://headfonics.com/2016/06/the-dac-9-by-nuprime/

Thanks for the link. Great review and I have to say his thoughts very much echo my own, especially in his comparison with the DAC-10H. 

Nidri17

« Reply #116 on: 30 Jun 2016, 03:56 pm »
Thanks for the link. Great review and I have to say his thoughts very much echo my own, especially in his comparison with the DAC-10H.

I haven't heard the DAC-10H to compare, but would agree with the review that the DAC-9 is very musical.
Not quite as detailed as e.g. Mytek DSD-192, but way more pleasant to listen to.

agdev01

« Reply #117 on: 1 Jul 2016, 12:07 am »
Using both the DAC10/ST10 and DAC9/2x STA-9 combos in the same system there are differences between the two but its really a matter of degrees imo rather than magnitudes. 

Speaking purely for sound reproduction if someone were to ask me which ones they should get, my response would be based on how well recorded the music they typically listen to is.  Classical and other genres where there is great production value to me the DAC-10 is the hands down winner.  The quote from the review that the DAC-10 is more detailed in the treble area but without any harshness is pretty much the best description ive seen for the DAC.  Most of the music i listen to is mid-80s to early 90s alternative, which certainly doesn't meet the threshold of well recorded and can easily come off as harsh. i never found that with the DAC-10 which is impressive where there is such detail, even if you don't necessarily want to hear all of the detail.  As you said the musicality of the DAC-9/STA-9 it great for that type of music where hi-fidelity was never the aim by the artist/producer/engineer.  Again not huge but noticeable differences.  For the albums I have that are well produced the DAC-10 really shines.   When it comes to sound reproduction i don't see either as the clear winner in all circumstances.  The DAC-10 is better all around but the DAC-9 certainly can shine in some cases.

I will say when it comes to other quality such as looks, build and the like I do think the DAC-10 is a step above.  I personally love the design and the thing just feels so solid (along with a remote that is probably considered a lethal weapon).  That isn't to knock the DAC-9 as at half the price does comes some compromises.  For their respective prices, and honestly compared to much higher price points, both are great in that regard, the DAC-10 ST-10 just offering a bit more in that area.

reillyzing

« Reply #118 on: 1 Jul 2016, 01:08 am »
Using both the DAC10/ST10 and DAC9/2x STA-9 combos in the same system there are differences between the two but its really a matter of degrees imo rather than magnitudes. 

Speaking purely for sound reproduction if someone were to ask me which ones they should get, my response would be based on how well recorded the music they typically listen to is.  Classical and other genres where there is great production value to me the DAC-10 is the hands down winner.  The quote from the review that the DAC-10 is more detailed in the treble area but without any harshness is pretty much the best description ive seen for the DAC.  Most of the music i listen to is mid-80s to early 90s alternative, which certainly doesn't meet the threshold of well recorded and can easily come off as harsh. i never found that with the DAC-10 which is impressive where there is such detail, even if you don't necessarily want to hear all of the detail.  As you said the musicality of the DAC-9/STA-9 it great for that type of music where hi-fidelity was never the aim by the artist/producer/engineer.  Again not huge but noticeable differences.  For the albums I have that are well produced the DAC-10 really shines.   When it comes to sound reproduction i don't see either as the clear winner in all circumstances.  The DAC-10 is better all around but the DAC-9 certainly can shine in some cases.

I will say when it comes to other quality such as looks, build and the like I do think the DAC-10 is a step above.  I personally love the design and the thing just feels so solid (along with a remote that is probably considered a lethal weapon).  That isn't to knock the DAC-9 as at half the price does comes some compromises.  For their respective prices, and honestly compared to much higher price points, both are great in that regard, the DAC-10 ST-10 just offering a bit more in that area.
Thanks for posting your thoughts and comparisons. I probably listen to a lot of the same music, and also 60s and 70s rock.
I wonder how the DAC-9 and two of the STA-9, both with TDSS mods would compare to an unmodified DAC-10 and ST-10.

Have you considered pairing the DAC-9 with ST-10 and DAC-10 with STA-9?

JackD

« Reply #119 on: 1 Jul 2016, 02:08 am »
I would think in your situation I would look at the DAC-9 and the ST-10. The DAC would be more friendly to your music choice paired with the superior amp.