All VMPS 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

TAFKA Steve

Re: All VMPS 5.1 or 7.1 setup?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2014, 08:45 pm »

Strangely enough, I have been searching for a speaker line to replace VMPS (virtually impossible task) and I have come across one here that has the same design as you used.

They use a driver similar to the HEIL Air Motion Transformer (only bigger and with a horn) in a two way.  Haven't heard them yet, but they might have a chance.

John, I hope you're referring to the AtmaTec BRASS speakers.

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2014, 08:50 pm »
I do believe that is what they are called, yes.

Haven't heard them so I have no sonic frame of reference.

John Casler

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2014, 08:55 pm »

ST86

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2014, 10:04 pm »

John,

The two L-pads control the tweeter.  One sets the overall volume of everything going to the tweeter, the other controls only the higher frequencies.

Ed

PMAT

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2014, 04:04 pm »
 :(. Blasphemy. Put other speakers in a different thread of non VMPS.  :duh:

Stimpy

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jul 2014, 04:57 pm »
Strangely enough, I have been searching for a speaker line to replace VMPS (virtually impossible task) and I have come across one here that has the same design as you used.

Hi John,

I've been wondering the same thing too; is there a contemporary speaker brand, that is capable of VMPS performance & VALUE?
Unfortunately, I really don't think there is.  But, at least for technology and sound quality, I wonder if BG Radia would be a possibility?

http://www.bgcorp.com/products/

BG Corp offers some very interesting models, freestanding and in-wall, with most using planar based drivers.  Even in-wall line-source models. 
Probably not a company that needs a Rep.  I'm just mainly thinking out loud, I guess!

Good luck with the search.

Hemy

« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2014, 07:59 pm »
For surrounds on a 7.1 system would you go with a VMPS dipole for the side surrounds and 626's for the rears or just 626's for all 4 surrounds?

Stimpy

« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2014, 12:39 am »
For surrounds on a 7.1 system would you go with a VMPS dipole for the side surrounds and 626's for the rears or just 626's for all 4 surrounds?

That depends on your own musical preferences, more than anything.  Plus, if the system is more for movies (use dipoles), or music (626's)?

When I put together my 1st modest surround sound system, (an all NHT setup), dipole surrounds were just starting to become really popular.  But, I was still more of a 2-channel music guy at heart (still am).  So even though I listened to some dipole speakers, I ended up using conventional 2 way speakers for surrounds.  I'm glad that I did too.  The small bookshelf surround speakers worked for me, as they had a more direct sound, that worked better for discrete 'hard' pans and effects.  Direct effects had more impact.  A dipole speaker sounded more diffuse, which to me, somewhat lessened the impact of that type of surround effect.  Plus, multichannel audio sounded better too, with a normal bookshelf surround speaker.  Especially SACD.   Though, if you have a very large long room, dipoles might work better on the sides, with 626 rears.  Otherwise, personally, I'd go for 2 pair of 626's!

Good luck!

« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2014, 12:33 pm by Stimpy »

Hemy

« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep 2014, 11:56 am »
2 pair of 626's for sure then! Thanks Stimpy!!

SleeperSupra

« Reply #29 on: 13 Feb 2015, 07:32 pm »
The original ESS AMT-1 design uses a 12" flat passive disk, rear mounted.  I decided to change that and emulate the Supertowers by moving it to the bottom and slot loading.  Made the base tall enough to get my hand in there and add or remove putty. 

The woofer is 4 ohms to match the original design.  This is also to stay in line with the crossover which is designed for a 4 ohm woofer.  The intended crossover to the Heil is around 800 Hz.

I have not done any putty pinching so haven't tuned the bass but so far things sound pretty good.  One of my main goals for this center channel was very clean midrange and vocals and the Heil has already achieved it.

Ed

Any updates on the HEIL center channel speaker? How does it compare to the VMPS mains as far as coherence and overall sound quality?

Brax

« Reply #30 on: 14 Feb 2015, 05:15 pm »
I have an all VMPS 5.1 system (well almost) and it sounds incredible for both movies and music. I have RM40s for both fronts and surrounds and am using a single RM2 for the center. I do run dual DIY 18" sealed subs that are not VMPS. The plan is to replace the RM2 with another RM40 but I will need to split a set with someone or build a clone of my own. I already have the 4 Neo Panels for this but that's all right now.

For movies, I think 5 RM2s would be very hard to beat, 5 RM40s would be for the music side of the system.