What equipment are you currently working on?

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: What equipment are you currently working on?
« Reply #80 on: 17 Jun 2009, 07:04 pm »
Mariesz,

Thanks for the invitation to hear your prototype bipoles but I'm on the other side of the country (Washington State) :icon_frown:.

My speakers use some sort of multicolored foam to control the backwave. It looks similar to carpet padding but much thicker.

AudioKinesis has an interesting bipole design, The Dream Weavers, that vertically offset the rear drivers from the front drivers. Hmmm... I wonder if tilting the box slightly backwards would perform the same function? I do that with my bipoles.

Well... maybe a thread could be devoted to bipole design. :idea:

Good luck with your prototype.

-Roy

Mariusz

« Reply #81 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:56 am »
Mariesz,

Thanks for the invitation to hear your prototype bipoles but I'm on the other side of the country (Washington State) :icon_frown:.

My speakers use some sort of multicolored foam to control the backwave. It looks similar to carpet padding but much thicker.

AudioKinesis has an interesting bipole design, The Dream Weavers, that vertically offset the rear drivers from the front drivers. Hmmm... I wonder if tilting the box slightly backwards would perform the same function? I do that with my bipoles.

Well... maybe a thread could be devoted to bipole design. :idea:

Good luck with your prototype.

-Roy

Sorry for late reply ( been a bit busy )

So you're in Washington State...  But hey, if you ever plan the trip to New York City my door is always open.

* the foam Louis uses is standard on all model (as far as I know) and its use might be related to ease of use as well as desire effect  (signature sound of Omega) it provides.
+ I use Acousta-Stuf Polyfill in my (lightly)

* AudioKinesis has reputation and well regarded designs under its belt, however my experience with his products is nonexistent. But I would like to hear them one day in the right system.

** vertically offset might be one way to go but it seems like farther modifications to my  design aren't necessary. Tilting the speakers helps a bit and should be done to suit individual taste and listening environment/listening position.
+ I found that slight tilt back works for me in my own setup.

Today I've spend the whole evening modifying new cabinet made out of Baltic Birch and thin layer of MDF.  Incorporating heavier base helped stabilizing the speaker and provide extra hight without extra long spikes. Some improvement were noticeable with new cabinet, especially the lower bass reproduction and dynamics.

(listening them sing right now)

Best
Mariusz

Scott F.

« Reply #82 on: 20 Jun 2009, 08:36 pm »
Chris (MerRev) and I have spent the last few weekends building him a pair of Lowther Open Baffles (similar to mine).

This morning I got up to the wood shop before it got too hot and made some more progress on them.

The first of the two bases nearly finished

Not too bad of a corner

The second base cut, fitted and ready for assembly

All clamped up and nowhere to go

The stanchions waiting to be assembled

Fitted and ready for gluing

...and this is what they will look like when they are completed (these are mine)

A quick pic of my wood shop

.....and of course, every shop needs tunes

...thats a Rotel RC 970BX pre, Rotel RB 981 amp, a SB2 driving the MHDT Constantine DAC and finally a pair of JBL 4410 Studio Monitors   :thumb:

With some luck we should have these finished off in a couple of weeks.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #83 on: 20 Jun 2009, 10:10 pm »
Learning the art of machining the hard way.

.jpg"

Scott F.

Mariusz

« Reply #85 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:10 am »

Wires
Bipolar prototypes driven with 2.5 watt amp

JoshK

« Reply #86 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:28 am »
Excellent!  I love seeing work in progress.   Nice shop Scott, I'm jealous of the space you have.  In my shop all the machines are on wheels and you have to wheel them one at a time into the work area.

Mariusz, I've been wanting to learn wood burner.  I have a project that needs some decaling.  Looks great.

Mariusz

« Reply #87 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:36 am »
Excellent!  I love seeing work in progress.   Nice shop Scott, I'm jealous of the space you have.  In my shop all the machines are on wheels and you have to wheel them one at a time into the work area.

Mariusz, I've been wanting to learn wood burner.  I have a project that needs some decaling.  Looks great.

I can loan you my to practice!

Mariusz :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #88 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:22 am »
Nice shop Scott, I'm jealous of the space you have.  In my shop all the machines are on wheels and you have to wheel them one at a time into the work area.

Thanks Josh. I know exactly how you feel. My old shop was the same way yours is now. A couple of years ago I decided to convert my barn (25x35) into a wood shop. Later this summer I'll get the Heat and AC installed. Then I'll get my air compressor moved up there and pipe both floors. I plan on using the hayloft as a spray booth. Since I'll be spraying finishes, I need some temperature and humidity control.

I'm trying to get Chris' speakers done fairly quick because we're planning on a pretty fair sized addition to our house later this year. Part of it is going to be a new kitchen. In turn I'm/we're going to build the kitchen and bathroom cabinets up there. That should save us at least 20-30k alone not to mention doing a fair amount of our own mill work.

It will be a fair amount of work but it should be fun.

MerRev

« Reply #89 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:13 pm »
I'll be the lucky recipient to all the pics Scott posted above and I have to say a huge public thank you to Scott Faller for all of his help on this time consuming project.  :thumb: His converted barn now serves as a workshop and his investment in quality tools and equipment really made this build considerably easier.  Also, having tunes that could blast over a router or running saw kept our spirits up. :drums: 
We're in the home stretch here and I think I owe it to Scott to really finish them with a nice stain.  Scott's meticulous attention to detail and patience throughout the build surprised me a bit but I'm so much happier we put in the time and effort and am really proud of the almost completed open baffle Lowther project.  I'm also glad Scott took a few pics to document the journey. 8)

The version we are working on will use the Alnico based Lowther PM6A which I know Scott likes as well and both Jon Ver Halen and Nelson Pass have really good things to say about it too.  The plan thus far includes driving them with a 2A3 amp and crossing them over to a pair of Altec Valencia's minus the horn loaded tweeter. 

-Chris

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #90 on: 24 Jun 2009, 05:34 am »
I'll be the lucky recipient to all the pics Scott posted above and I have to say a huge public thank you to Scott Faller for all of his help on this time consuming project.  :thumb: His converted barn now serves as a workshop and his investment in quality tools and equipment really made this build considerably easier.  Also, having tunes that could blast over a router or running saw kept our spirits up. :drums: 
We're in the home stretch here and I think I owe it to Scott to really finish them with a nice stain.  Scott's meticulous attention to detail and patience throughout the build surprised me a bit but I'm so much happier we put in the time and effort and am really proud of the almost completed open baffle Lowther project.  I'm also glad Scott took a few pics to document the journey. 8)

The version we are working on will use the Alnico based Lowther PM6A which I know Scott likes as well and both Jon Ver Halen and Nelson Pass have really good things to say about it too.  The plan thus far includes driving them with a 2A3 amp and crossing them over to a pair of Altec Valencia's minus the horn loaded tweeter. 

-Chris
Question....How thick is that Plexi-Glass ? Thanks.... :thumb:

MerRev

« Reply #91 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:38 pm »
Hi Chris!   

The panels are 3/4" plexi but seem to weigh a ton.  I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 20-25lbs per panel.  Here's a earlier post with the adhesive backing on them and cutout without drivers which helps a bit.
 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62786.msg567623#msg567623

Also, I've been meaning to share this with you for a while.
Kathleen Edwards song "The Lone Wolf":

He was the lone wolf you could see it in his eyes
The way he held his heart the way he held his lies
Sometimes he's just show up outside on the porch
And hour at a time like a lonely whore

She was a scarecrow the way she always looked around
For something she once had and never could be found
Time was on her side but she never kept track
All the hunters came and took her memories back

Once they met inside a dirty curtained room
And the rain fell down hard that day onto the tin roof
She said "I've seen you before, I've been looking for you
Better keep your heart close hunters are coming for you"
He said "I've seen them before and I always get away
Cuz you will never stop looking and I will never stay"

The lone wolf kissed her mouth like so many before
Scarecrow closed her eyes and then she closed the door
And the rain fell down on the tin roof when the hunters came that night
Stole all of her memories killed the wolf and all his lies.

-Chris

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #92 on: 25 Jun 2009, 03:00 am »
Thanks for the info Chris....good luck with the speakers...I'll watch for your listening comments. :thumb:

And....thanks for the tune.... :beer:

Chris

JoshK

« Reply #93 on: 12 Jul 2009, 01:05 am »
Making the baffles for my bass bins.  Whow buddy, they are big.  :o   Somehow 30" x 20" x 22" doesn't sound that big. 

Now I am thinking of flipping them so that they are 20" tall and 30" wide.  20" tall is much better for setting the abbey clone speakers on.  Otherwise the CD will be well above the listener's head.

Scott F.

« Reply #94 on: 12 Jul 2009, 03:43 am »
Well, today Chris (MerRev) finally finished up his Lowther PM6A open baffles. Chris took them back to his place to stain and do the final assembly. Here is a pic of the baffles completed. The acrylic panel still has the protective paper covering on it.

They turned out pretty good. After seeing how well the bases turned out, I wish I had done mine out of oak.

Mariusz

« Reply #95 on: 31 Jul 2009, 02:03 am »
Trying to build some full range (or almost) speakers for my listening room.
Upper limitation of these 15" drivers is about 15K. Not that everyone can hear beyond that point but just because I can, super-tweeter will be implemented and crossed/cut at 7-8K (8-33K)for extra air and resolution.(attenuator at the back of the ST housing).(30Hz-33KHz)
Drivers are quite nice and presentation is definitely different then most 8" drivers I've used.
Hard to go back to smaller drivers if I must be honest. 
Using this driver in OB was fun and it might be the solution for those on the budget, however. If you care about those information below 70Hz or despite using a sub in your system, OB might not float your boat. What you get tho is lock of box coloration and purity of the driver itself. I would imagine these 15 inchers in OB with quality OB subs for amazing bang for the buck system.
If not, ......... box is your only choice to get some earth shaking bass out of them.
There is some controversy about the proper box for these drivers so I decided to build what I feel is right for my taste and my ROOM.
Here is the scoop:

Cheers

Mariusz

« Reply #96 on: 2 Aug 2009, 12:44 am »
I'll upload "work in progress" pictures of this design and more in depth information and thoughts.

It should match my DIY Red Devil turntable.

« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2009, 03:15 am by Mariusz »

Berndt

« Reply #97 on: 2 Aug 2009, 05:42 am »
Learning the art of machining the hard way.

.jpg"

It is a drag when you just busted your last 250$ dataflute endmill and have to slow everything down to make a brand x cutter work.
Good luck Kevin, maybe we could consider a machining circle?

JoshK

« Reply #98 on: 26 Aug 2009, 01:49 am »
Started gluing up my bins today.  One is all clamped up.  Biscuit jointers rock!  It was SO much easier to put a big box together while keeping everything mutual orthogonal with the biscuit joints.  Not to mention they make the joints stronger.

The baffle hasn't been glued on, that will be after the driver hole is machined and the oak cross braces have been added.  Babies are going to be HEAVY!  Glad I used 1.5" baltic birch on all sides but the baffle (2.25" BB/MDF sandwich) as the BB is lighter, although still heavy.

Wife commented that she saw my boxes and they are huge.   :icon_lol:  Her reaction was better than I thought it would be.  It wasn't a "no well in hell." 

JoshK

« Reply #99 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:42 am »
Not very exciting, but work in progress...