Daedalus Audio Isolation devices

jriggy

Re: Daedalus Audio Isolation devices
« Reply #120 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:22 pm »
I like them showing the way they are. and components are black.

OzarkTom

« Reply #121 on: 18 Jul 2016, 06:28 pm »
I make a lot of painted picture frames for ebay customers. Flat black krylon works the best, Rustolum runs too much. I spray metal, plastic, and wood frames. Take your time. Spray a thin coat of flat black and let dry for 20-30 minutes. Spray another thin coat and let that dry. Then if you want a glossier black, spray that on, but use flat black first.

Three fairly light coats shoulld do the job, and if the paint gets scratched up, steel wool and repaiint.

I think gold footers would also look cool with black, gold krylon is one of the easiest to use.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #122 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:03 am »
Before:

After:

DiD-B:

Would be much easier to do before they're assembled but now I don't have them starring at me anymore.  :nono:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #123 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:09 am »
I like the way that looks Jason.   :thumb:

That said, I am not willing to pay an extra 25% on the list price to get black.

Looks like I will try the paint route...

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #124 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:11 am »
OK, I need a show of hands...

Is it worth an extra $40 each to have them in black?

I'm guessing that is the minimum it will have to be (hopefully I can find a way to make it less).

I have to hear that enough people would pay that much extra to get them in black.....

thanks,
lou

Lou,

After thinking about this, I have decided that an extra $40/each is too much for me.

I would pay an extra $20/each max.

George

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #125 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:27 am »
I like before  :)

How do the Did's work? Is there some flex to the wood insert so that they are guaranteed flat against the chassis of components? I ask because not everything is perfect, ya know.....

audioguy213

« Reply #126 on: 19 Jul 2016, 12:58 am »

After:

Would be much easier to do before they're assembled but now I don't have them starring at me anymore.  :nono:

WAY better.
This looks much, much better.  good job.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #127 on: 19 Jul 2016, 02:27 am »
I like the way that looks Jason.   :thumb:

That said, I am not willing to pay an extra 25% on the list price to get black.

Looks like I will try the paint route...

George
agreed that looks great. 
The problem with before assembly is that we press fit epoxy the wood into the metal and then sand the bottom to get a perfect face, after that they go on the metal lathe for polishing and removing any stray epoxy etc.

I may look into an autopaint shop doing a lacquer finish?  I agree that it would have to be no more than $20 upcharge.
thanks,
lou

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 19 Jul 2016, 02:29 am »
I like before  :)

How do the Did's work? Is there some flex to the wood insert so that they are guaranteed flat against the chassis of components? I ask because not everything is perfect, ya know.....

the wood/brass top piece sits on three bearings so that provides enough flex for a "less than perfect" surface.

feel free to call with any questions

360 312 3604

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #129 on: 20 Jul 2016, 03:06 am »
Hey, Lou, I happened on this thread and followed along some of the questions about adding black color.

Am I reading the overview of your assembly process correctly in that the aluminum bases are as of now simply left polished raw aluminum?  I know these are meant to have probably a very minimal amount of handling, but even so it would probably still be a good idea in terms of protecting both the surface polish as well as the aluminum itself over time to seal them in some way, even a gloss clear anno would probably be better than raw.  I know you are an advocate of long-lasting products, so I thought I would toss in my $.02 worth.  :thumb:

As an aside, I know a few truly talented artists in aluminum anodizing if you need some references for getting crazy with colors.  Satin/dust or gloss finishes, solid colors, fades, splashes, acid washes, and all the above in combinations if someone wants to get really wild.  :green:

Folsom

« Reply #130 on: 20 Jul 2016, 05:43 am »
Anodizing might be the best option so that they have the least change in quality. Any clear coat will change them significantly by comparison; and wont turn out well since you can't coat the inside where the bearings touch meaning you can't make a seal.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #131 on: 20 Jul 2016, 05:53 pm »
Hey, Lou, I happened on this thread and followed along some of the questions about adding black color.

Am I reading the overview of your assembly process correctly in that the aluminum bases are as of now simply left polished raw aluminum?  I know these are meant to have probably a very minimal amount of handling, but even so it would probably still be a good idea in terms of protecting both the surface polish as well as the aluminum itself over time to seal them in some way, even a gloss clear anno would probably be better than raw.  I know you are an advocate of long-lasting products, so I thought I would toss in my $.02 worth.  :thumb:

As an aside, I know a few truly talented artists in aluminum anodizing if you need some references for getting crazy with colors.  Satin/dust or gloss finishes, solid colors, fades, splashes, acid washes, and all the above in combinations if someone wants to get really wild.  :green:
Actually the polished aluminum will do very well in the kind of environments they will be used. If they do begin to tarnish in ten years time then a quick polish with Mother's Polish will do the job.
I would love to do a black anodize but I don't know anyone that will do that after they are assembled, nor do I know what that would do to the wood? Anodizing before the press fitting and epoxying the wood, could be a nightmare as to keeping them clean and from being scratched.
Seems like it should be easy but....

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #132 on: 31 Jul 2016, 04:23 pm »
the wood/brass top piece sits on three bearings so that provides enough flex for a "less than perfect" surface.

feel free to call with any questions

360 312 3604

Thanks!!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #133 on: 9 Oct 2016, 04:37 am »
I just posted my thoughts on an isolation thread on audiogon

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/do-equipment-stands-have-an-impact-on-electronics#1358355

my comments - audiotomb

I have found two major products that have taken isolation to a great level in my system.

Silent Running Audio racks and isobases and Daedalus DIDs - Daedalus Isolation Devices footers. ....

another isolation device that is garnering great attention is Lou Hinkley at Daedalus DIDs - Daedalus Isolation Devices.  Lou who build's exceptionally crafted hardwood speakers has come up with isolation footers that work very effectively.

http://daedalusaudio.com/DiD.html

I have utilized these on my Billy Bags digital rack and they provide enhanced resolution, transparency and isolation with no changes in tonality.  Lou's comments -  Resonance control is crucial in the design of great speaker systems, and now we have applied that knowledge to isolation devices (footers) for components. These devices utilize dissimilar materials to dissipate resonance coupled with bearings to also isolate the electronic component from vibration. Precision made of highly polished billet Aluminum, solid Cherry and Brass with steel bearings.

Lou has been effectively bringing these to audio shows and demonstrating their impact by adding them component by component to the system. Then removing as well.  The sonic benefits are very apparent.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #134 on: 9 Oct 2016, 08:45 pm »
thanks!!!! :thumb:

btw, we have the first batch of speaker footers and will be sending some off for black anodize. I'll check on the possibility of doing that to the DiDs.
The speaker footers do not have any parts epoxied to them so it is an easy task to make them black.