Any Omega owners have experience with Vandersteen speakers?

tdogzthmn

I have a Vandersteen Model 1C and really enjoy the way it sounds.  I'm curious if the Omega Super 3XRS will compete with the Vandy.  On paper the 1C will go down to 38Hz and the 3XRS to 40Hz.  I do have an external Sub but I find that I dont need it turned up much with the 1C to get a decent bass response.  The treble dial is set at 0BD and has plenty of sparkle when needed.  The bi polar nature of the Vandy also gives it a bipolar and open sound similar Magnepans which his another benefit.  If you have experience with both makes I would enjoy hearing you opinion.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Re: Any Omega owners have experience with Vandersteen speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2017, 04:20 am »
Very different speakers in tone and speed, not to mention power requirement.
Hibuck...

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2017, 04:38 am »
I've heard the Vandy 1C at a friend's house and owned the 3XRS for awhile. Overall they're very different animals. The Vandy's more easily hold their own in terms of bass and midbass, which simply boils down to them having 8" drivers. It's physics. As brilliant as the RS5 driver is (I love it), it just cannot fully escape this fact (in my personal experience). With that said, as you already have a sub, I suggest looking at the Omega Super 3i as a lower cost and perhaps simpler entry to trying Omegas.....which I hope you'll do. You'll quickly understand why I say they're different animals ; Better in some ways, maybe not in others. It boils down to what floats your boat. Even the most expensive speakers in the world are comprised of compromises decided by the designer based on technical limitations. If you haven't heard single driver speakers, the 3i is the perfect entry. Regardless of how much you like your Vandy's (which are wonderful speakers) I can guarantee you'll be blown away by the combination of things the Omegas excell at that your Vandy's don't.
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2017, 03:44 am by RDavidson »

Slam

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2017, 01:32 am »
Rdavidson's post is right on. I happily lived with a pair of Vandy 2c for more than a decade and sold them because they were too big for me now. Also I got interested in open baffle speakers.

Vandys are great speakers but they don't sound like a single driver speaker without a crossover. Personally I like my Omegas better than my Vandys but you really can't go wrong either way.

You may want to experiment with a DIY single driver speaker to see if you like the sound.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2017, 03:27 am »
I would take to a good look at one of Louis's various "omni" designs.....be it based on twin RS-5's or one of his larger drivers in a twin configuration. My RS-5 Omni's pretty much mimic what you're looking for in regard to an extremely open presentation.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2017, 04:39 am »
I'm familiar with open Baffle speakers and single drivers, both of which I own and have built.

I have some 8" and 3" full range speakers in bass reflex enclosures and both do many things very well.  I also built some large open baffle speakers with 10" full range drivers which were also quite nice.

The Vandy 1C seems to get more things right and has a greater sense of presence than my other speakers.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2017, 03:03 am »
Note, Louis's drivers aren't off-the-shelf and compare favorably with the absolute best available. Unless you were experimenting with Lowther, Voxativ, and other world class "full range" drivers I still think you owe it to yourself to at least give the 3i a try. I still think you'd be surprised. The RS5 drivers ARE that good. I didn't enjoy my KEF LS50's so much after trying the 3xrs. I know they're very different, but that was also part of the appeal. The KEF's sound thin and sterile unless you juice them with power to get their diaphragms moving....which was too loud for me and my room. The RS5's light up without the need to be cranked. They're also faster, more resolving, more pure, and image better than the KEFs.