Derecho

nrenter

Derecho
« on: 4 Oct 2015, 11:17 pm »
First time poster in the Vapor Audio circle...

I was browsing the Vapor Audio website...absolutely stunning speakers!!

I have a question about the Derecho...I noticed in the specifications that the Derecho has "Time aligned shallow slope networks with crossover points of 350hz and 2300hz". Can someone elaborate on this? I'm assuming this means first order, but are they balanced first order (such that both the high-pass and low-pass are -3dB at 350hz and 2300hz)? Also, are these both time and phase aligned (like a Vandersteen, old Thiel or Green Mountain Audio)?

I love the high sensitivity...would love to hear a pair sometime.

Thanks!!!

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Derecho
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2015, 08:07 am »
First time poster in the Vapor Audio circle...

I was browsing the Vapor Audio website...absolutely stunning speakers!!

I have a question about the Derecho...I noticed in the specifications that the Derecho has "Time aligned shallow slope networks with crossover points of 350hz and 2300hz". Can someone elaborate on this? I'm assuming this means first order, but are they balanced first order (such that both the high-pass and low-pass are -3dB at 350hz and 2300hz)? Also, are these both time and phase aligned (like a Vandersteen, old Thiel or Green Mountain Audio)?

I love the high sensitivity...would love to hear a pair sometime.

Thanks!!!

The tilt of the system pushes the acoustic centers of the tweeter and midrange closer to the same value with respect to the design axis.  Because of the extended response of both the mid and tweeter in the crossover region and the close time alignment, shallower than "normal" slopes are possible.  In this case we use a single capacitor for the RAAL crossover which when added to the 2nd order acoustic slope of the mid results in a LR2 acoustic alignment.  More typical slopes for such an arrangement would be LR4.  The 2 slope options both result in a flat response but the crossovers have subtle differences in their presentation.  LR2 systems have less overall phase shift. 

But just because something is time aligned does not mean that it is suitable for shallower slopes.  One example is our Joule model.  The Black version employs LR2 slopes throughout while the White version uses LR4 between the mid and tweeter.  The drivers will tell you how they will work best together.

nrenter

Re: Derecho
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:20 pm »
Thanks! Just curious.