Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1120 on: 2 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm »
All:
 In response to the DB loading issue posted above, Chris says large album art ( file size ) can slow down the DB loading process.  Once the DB is loaded the first time any future loads ( new music ) will be fast.  Guess I should have had a few more cups of coffee.
  Rich

I'm still not sure why it didn't display the percentage complete though  :scratch:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1121 on: 2 Oct 2015, 03:58 pm »
HI Chris,

Ive recently reinstalled my Plex server on the Sinology Nas. On it is my backup of my music connected to the BDP on its usb drives.
The utter easy with which that works is stunning, the result is even better. Pure eye candy, and all extra functionality like background info, art, related artists, reviews etc etc. Even extra (user selectable) media channels are shown.

Adding to that, the interface dispenses with things like .flac and all other computer reminiscing feedback. Updating works automatically. All album art shows beautifully and if not provided, is fetched in the internet.

I know Plex doesn't work on the MPD / BDP. But given the fact that my Synology ds1512+ only has 1 gb memory, i thought it comparable to the relative weak processor power of the BDP(1), and still have these tons of features work effortlessly.

Has Bryston ever checked the Plex interface? I thought it appropriate to post here, as an inspiration and maybe guide to solutions with the Album art issues and interfacing of the MM software.

( i do have a so called Plex-pass which cost me 79 $ for lifetime registration, and gives extra functionality )

Artist overview

Related media

Individual Album

Cheers,
Marius

The issue isn't processing power and we have talked about implementing similar features in the Media Player, the issue is time and human resources.  I only have so much and i only get to spend so much time developing the firmware.  I think the revised Artist View back end (Bryston DB) shows that we are putting an effort into adding value added features and more will come.

Cheers

Marius

« Reply #1122 on: 2 Oct 2015, 04:53 pm »

HI Chris,
Sure, and much appreciated!

I must admit the new artist view Backend hasn't shown itself here, only thing i witness are the little dots (without a progress indication). You mentioned it has to do with the library, which depending on the BDP1 or 2 has a larger capacity of processing.

I merely wanted to show what another machine (NAS in  this case) with rather limited resources itself, is able to do with the same library, or even bigger one, since it hosts videos also, and a full library of mp3 files, together with a
iTunes db server.

Maybe we ought to convince your boss Bryston needs to spice up its developing power and give you more slack, company even.. :thumb:

Anyways,
Thanks, and cheerio,
Marius

The issue isn't processing power and we have talked about implementing similar features in the Media Player, the issue is time and human resources.  I only have so much and i only get to spend so much time developing the firmware.  I think the revised Artist View back end (Bryston DB) shows that we are putting an effort into adding value added features and more will come.

Cheers

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1123 on: 2 Oct 2015, 08:35 pm »
All:
 In response to the DB loading issue posted above, Chris says large album art ( file size ) can slow down the DB loading process.  Once the DB is loaded the first time any future loads ( new music ) will be fast.  Guess I should have had a few more cups of coffee.
  Rich

So, how many kb is "large"?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1124 on: 2 Oct 2015, 08:43 pm »
So, how many kb is "large"?

a contribution to how long it was taking had to do with the drive being formatted as ntfs (windows file system), again its only done once per album, the changes are saved to seperate pictures files with the music files so it doesn't need to be done again.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1125 on: 4 Oct 2015, 07:23 pm »
Just installed S2.18 2015-09-29. Unfortunately Artist View search feature is still not working for me. Am I missing something?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1126 on: 4 Oct 2015, 07:48 pm »
Just installed S2.18 2015-09-29. Unfortunately Artist View search feature is still not working for me. Am I missing something?

Make sure you click on the GEAR and then click as below and also click reset database.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1127 on: 4 Oct 2015, 08:00 pm »
I did this all, Artist View rendered correctly, but search is not working at all. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1128 on: 4 Oct 2015, 09:51 pm »
I did this all, Artist View rendered correctly, but search is not working at all.

What phrase are you entering to perform the search?

Rod_S

« Reply #1129 on: 5 Oct 2015, 12:17 pm »

Cheers

What is the Artists View back end you speak of? What does it do?

Marius

« Reply #1130 on: 5 Oct 2015, 02:41 pm »
HI Chris,

Does the new Bryston db  build several new image files in each folder?
Suddenly I've come across bryston_db_disable.jpg and crossfade.jpg i never noticed before. Also, in many folders bdp_front_44.jpg and bdp_front_250.jpg are found. Is this correct behavior?

Btw, yesterday for the first time I've seen the new DB in action i guess: clicking artist view resulted in a page loaded with albums, and starting to look good!
Not all albums are shown, and many false tag-results confusing the interface i suppose. Lots of work checking those tags ......

Question: Is there a way to sort this albums in artist view by folder? That way all would be sorted per style also (classic, jazz, pop etc) and in those classes by artist (pop, jazz) composer (classical)
Now I've several entries for Frank Sinatra, with every artist cooperation mentioned and found separately, while they should be listed all under Frank Sinatra, since they're are organized like that in the file manager.

Question2: could you have a popup window display the file location of a track please? In the screen you see some files i have to correct, but first locate. Having that popup would be a great help.

Bug? The left artist bar slides along with scrolling the album window, while i think it should be scrolling independently? Other way round is working correctly.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1131 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:38 pm »
What is the Artists View back end you speak of? What does it do?

Its the artist view in manic moose media player, it organizes your music by artist

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1132 on: 5 Oct 2015, 04:15 pm »
HI Chris,

Does the new Bryston db  build several new image files in each folder?
Suddenly I've come across bryston_db_disable.jpg and crossfade.jpg i never noticed before. Also, in many folders bdp_front_44.jpg and bdp_front_250.jpg are found. Is this correct behavior?

Btw, yesterday for the first time I've seen the new DB in action i guess: clicking artist view resulted in a page loaded with albums, and starting to look good!
Not all albums are shown, and many false tag-results confusing the interface i suppose. Lots of work checking those tags ......

Question: Is there a way to sort this albums in artist view by folder? That way all would be sorted per style also (classic, jazz, pop etc) and in those classes by artist (pop, jazz) composer (classical)
Now I've several entries for Frank Sinatra, with every artist cooperation mentioned and found separately, while they should be listed all under Frank Sinatra, since they're are organized like that in the file manager.

Question2: could you have a popup window display the file location of a track please? In the screen you see some files i have to correct, but first locate. Having that popup would be a great help.

Bug? The left artist bar slides along with scrolling the album window, while i think it should be scrolling independently? Other way round is working correctly.

Cheers,
Marius

I thought you made those files, I guess I better go back and check the firmware. 

The songs file path is suppose to (admittedly doesn't always) be shown in the song info window and scroll along the blue title bar. 

my near future strategy for the bryston db is to maintain existing performance, but to come up with a system that doesn't require the entire database to be stored in system memory at once.  This should resolve the problem you have with your BDP-1 and 150,000+ songs, just like to point out that although the 5 year warranty on BDP-1's begin to end we are still putting serious development time into the firmware.  Then resurrect the album view, which will include a "filter" menu, the "filter" menu will allow the user to narrow whats currently being shown.  Drop down menu for genre, an alphabet drop down menu (artists begin with) and a search.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1133 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:05 pm »
What phrase are you entering to perform the search?
I tried different artist names and album names. Nothing is searched. I tested this via Safari and Chrome on Mac

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1134 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:25 pm »
I tried different artist names and album names. Nothing is searched. I tested this via Safari and Chrome on Mac

Are you clicking on ARTIST in the right hand list before you search?

james

vklyushnikov

« Reply #1135 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:31 pm »
Are you clicking on ARTIST in the right hand list before you search?

james
It does not work either with clicking or without it. I believe that it should work by simply entering text in search field and pressing Enter.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1136 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:40 pm »
It does not work either with clicking or without it. I believe that it should work by simply entering text in search field and pressing Enter.

Gee that is strange as it works fine for me - will let Chris get it touch.

James

Marius

« Reply #1137 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:50 pm »
ditto here, clicking enter-key or the loupe seem not to have any effect, no visual feedback a search is going on either.
Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #1138 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:54 pm »
Lol, no i didn't make up any files of that sort, only collect cover.jpg, back.jpg, cd.jpg etc.

File info: you mean after clicking play and pressing the info wheel? Doesn't work yet in my situation, i get all the -1's again, and can't play for now, maybe after a reboot. Would make sense though to be able to see file-info in the artist view via a popup, and not having to play the file first.

Any thoughts on the scrolling issue?

Thanks,
Marius

I thought you made those files, I guess I better go back and check the firmware. 

The songs file path is suppose to (admittedly doesn't always) be shown in the song info window and scroll along the blue title bar. 

my near future strategy for the bryston db is to maintain existing performance, but to come up with a system that doesn't require the entire database to be stored in system memory at once.  This should resolve the problem you have with your BDP-1 and 150,000+ songs, just like to point out that although the 5 year warranty on BDP-1's begin to end we are still putting serious development time into the firmware.  Then resurrect the album view, which will include a "filter" menu, the "filter" menu will allow the user to narrow whats currently being shown.  Drop down menu for genre, an alphabet drop down menu (artists begin with) and a search.

keithjacksontucson

« Reply #1139 on: 5 Oct 2015, 10:33 pm »
Helo gentlemen,

I'm using MM 2.18 2015-29-9
Overall interface is getting better. One thing , in 2.18
when I was on another tab in Safari and came back to MM tab, the menu refreshed
in a second or so. Now there is no auto-refresh , so you cna't use the menu unless
you click on the browser refresh button

Future request: I love the Tidal capability. When going from Playlist to Queue, the Playlist
always goes to the first album . Is there a possiblity of making it quicker to scoll to the bottom?
Slow on an IPAD
Thanks