If we were to offer mods for a DAC....

modwright

If we were to offer mods for a DAC....
« on: 6 Mar 2018, 05:23 pm »
Which DAC would you want a mod for?

It does not necessarily have to be a tube mod and could be more reasonably priced.

I am simply looking for a product that is popular and that could be improved.

If there is a product that enough people agree on, then I would be very interested in developing mod(s) for it!

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2018, 05:05 pm by modwright »

Rusty Jefferson

Re: If we were to offer mods for a DAC....
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:43 pm »
May sound crazy, but the little iFi Micro DSD DAC is 1/2 of the way to being great right out of the box. I've heard one used in several systems, and the only thing it really lacks (which is an important 1/2 to me) is an ability to create a lifelike 3 dimensional soundstage as a top tier DAC can. Perhaps you could get it closer?

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2018, 07:23 pm »
Thanks, I will check it out!

Dan

cheehpogi

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2018, 10:40 pm »
 :D How about Sony ubp X800 or x1000 es?

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2018, 06:51 pm »
Very small form factor unit.  What is the level of interest in this unit from everyone else?

Thanks,

Dan

dznutz

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2018, 03:50 am »
Bryston BDA3... it is already great, would be interesting to see what you could do

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2018, 12:08 pm »
Hey Dan,

I initially thought about modding one of the fairy inexpensive Chinese DACs with a tube output stage, upgrades to power supplies, etc. However they are in the same relative price point as the Sonica DAC so I'm not sure that makes much sense. How about going in the opposite direction and putting a tube output mod on a Schiit Yggy?

Todd

rbbert

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2018, 03:30 pm »
Hey Dan,

I initially thought about modding one of the fairy inexpensive Chinese DACs with a tube output stage, upgrades to power supplies, etc. However they are in the same relative price point as the Sonica DAC so I'm not sure that makes much sense. How about going in the opposite direction and putting a tube output mod on a Schiit Yggy?

Todd

The Sonica has been out of production for several months now, so I don’t think it’s something to consider going forward.
As far as Schitt, my personal opinion would be that Dan’s time is better spent on modding something from a mass-market manufacturer, rather than another small specialty manufacturer like he is.  If you want a better Schitt, ask Schitt to build you one; they probably would.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2018, 05:21 pm »
Very small form factor unit.  What is the level of interest in this unit from everyone else?

Thanks,

Dan
Sorry to dominate this thread, but personally I don't have interest in modded disc players, only dacs. I used to have one of your modded Sonys but wasn't using it after I got a server going.

.......my personal opinion would be that Dan’s time is better spent on modding something from a mass-market manufacturer, ......
Agreed.  Don't know if a $500 dac can get a $500 mod and be more than a $1k dac, or if that's enough to be worth your efforts?  I've been at a couple meet ups where the iFi dac bested some Sabre chip dacs that sell for $2k +.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2018, 05:38 pm »
The Project S2 Digital DAC. Hits sweet spot of known brand, decent performance, well reviewed, modest price, and just the marketing of a modded Pro-ject anything would get typical audiophiles excited.

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2018, 07:04 pm »
Thank you!  Indeed the Project products are reasonably priced and I agree that this could have potential. As always, I am looking for good quality products that represent very good value to start with.  My goal then is to simply elevate their performance significantly, to the point that the modified unit ALSO represents exceptional value AND World Class performance.

I will look into it and post my thoughts!

Take care,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2018, 07:06 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I will look into the Bryston also.  Agreed about the Schiit products.  I am looking for something mass produced and inexpensive that I can make great and uniquely ours.

Dan

fredgarvin

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2018, 07:23 pm »
Ditto for the Pro-ject S2.

modwright

« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2018, 07:24 pm »
The project DAC or something in that $500 price range is very interesting. To do what I would want to do, the mod would be in the $1K range.  Now the question would be of course, at $1500 net investment, how good would it be?

Well, our $2500 mod to the $1300 Oppo UDP-205 blows people away with a net $3800 price tag.  People telling us that it CLEARLY betters standalone sources at over $7600+!

So, the question is then, is a $1K tube mod for a $500 DAC of interest?

I am thinking of a mod that would include a completely separate box, including power supply and tube stage, ideally even an improved 5V digital supply for the DAC.  I would expect there to be a simple 'bypass' mod to the DAC that would route the simplest and cleanest signal directly from the DAC to our new design, in a separate enclosure.  Given the size of the Project DAC (small), I would anticipate a secondary enclosure that the DAC could sit directly ON, so as to not require extra shelf space.  No outboard high voltage supply either.  The mod enclosure would have RCA inputs (low level) from DAC and RCA/XLR outputs (line level) out from the mod stage. AC power cord in and a 5V supply output connector to match the stock project supply cable.

Ideally very short RCA cables would connect the DAC to our mod stage and these cables could be ANY design type.  I.e. you could have your favorite cable mfr. make very short custom cables for you.

This concept is very interesting to me and, could be applied, in theory, to a number of different DACs of small form factor, with similar power needs.  I.e. a minor change made to the DAC itself (possibly could be switched on/off - i.e. stock to modified output) and the bulk of the work would reside in the separate mod enclosure.  In fact, in an ideal world, this DAC-Mod module, would be designed such that it could be inter-changed with other DACs...again in theory.

Let me know what you think of this idea! The possibilities here are endless, as is the sonic potential!

Thanks,

Dan

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2018, 07:43 pm »
How about something different like upgrading phono preamps?  There are quite a bit of inexpensive phono preamps in the $200-$500 range.  I would love to see what my Bellari VP-129 phono pre could do with upgraded power supply, caps and resistors.

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2018, 07:54 pm »
That is also a possibility.  To be honest, however, it doesn't make good business sense for us to do mods that are less than $500.  A $500 mod for a $250 phono stage may not make a lot of sense.  If I am wrong, please let me know.  If there are other phono stages that are popular also, that people are interested in mods for, I am all about it!

I would rather do more than just cap and resistors upgrades. That is easy and does make a difference! However, the REAL magic comes when we re-engineer what are clearly weaknesses in the stock design.  Often this does not require the cost of fancy parts alone and makes a MUCH bigger difference!  Combine the two of course and then you really have something!

If there is a phono stage or stages that people are interested in, please let me know!

Thanks,

Dan

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2018, 08:14 pm »
There are plenty of nice Phono pre's in the $400 to $1K range from Pro-ject, Rega, Clear Audio, Vincent and Jolida that may be worth a look.  It would be worth it if they could be modded to compete with $1500K and up  gear.  Although DAC's make more sense.

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2018, 08:16 pm »
Well, this is true.  I am also planning to release a phono of our own design, in the $1250-$1500 price range after our < $3K design is released.

Thanks,

Dan

jhm731

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2018, 09:46 pm »
Mytek Brooklyn
Gustard X20u

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2018, 11:01 pm »
Mytek is on my radar also! I have an idea that may allow for a ‘universal’ tube mod to different DACs.

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2018, 06:06 pm by modwright »