Megaschino amp advice

sugbob21

Megaschino amp advice
« on: 22 Oct 2017, 03:49 pm »
Hi all
I am exploring the purchase of a new amplifier.Currently using a Rogue
 Sphynx with Wharfedale speakers. Megaschino amps have been one option I have been looking into. Would ILM mono amps with 48 volt power supply be the best way to go or the STM King with 60 volt ? I have to Tube headphone amps that have pre outs to use as preamps. The STM can also be used as an amp with volume pot turned up all the way which can give me the option of using as an integrated or amp I think ? I have balanced outs on my DAC also.

Comments/advice welcome
Thanks all.

uncola

Re: Megaschino amp advice
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2017, 05:40 am »
i Think you didn’t get much response because people couldn’t tell what kind of listening space you have.  But since you mention using headphone amps as your preamp I’m going to assume you have a near field or desk setup with wharf dale bookshelf speakers.  For a near field setup you really don’t need much power.  I recently transitioned from being a headphone guy to a speaker guy and at first I started with big power amps because I heard you need that for bass to sound powerful but over time I’ve realized power headroom isn’t a eq it’s really just for max volume headroom.  At least unless you have crazy giant or panel speakers.  At first I went for max power monoblocks but after trying tons of gear I realized for a desk setup it’s better to have something small with less wires etc.  class d is great for small size and low heat on a desk.  For you I’d actually recommend the stereo maraschino with the 36V power supply.  And maybe ask if they can leave out the volume pot so you can use your tube headphone amp as the preamp.  The reason I recommend the 36V power supply is that for a near field setup you really only use like 10 watts of the amps power and the 36V psu will have the lowest noise floor and stuff like tweeter hiss is more noticeable close up

sugbob21

Re: Megaschino amp advice
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2017, 11:45 am »
Thanks for that reply. My speakers are actually small floor standers and are setup around 8 feet away. I do not listen at extremely loud levels. There is some pretty noticeable hiss through the Sphynx amplifier. My main goal is to have dynamic sound at moderate listening levels with a low noise floor. That's one of the irritating problems with the Sphynx the noticeable hiss. I have a few headphone amps that can be used as preamps . MIcro Zotl tube amp, Schiit Jotenheim, Decware CSP.