New ModWright Custom Mod Umbilical!

Ern Dog

Re: New ModWright Custom Mod Umbilical!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2011, 05:22 pm »
I've been listening to the new MW umbilical for a week now and wanted to share my thoughts about it.

Out of all the tweaks that I've done with my MW tube Oppo 83, including rolling tubes, power cords, vibration footers, etc- the upgraded umbilical is by far the most significant improvement!  This is not a subtle change.  It improves EVERY quality of the musical reproduction.  I'd say the top 2 qualities that jump out at me are the increased resolution and separation.  This upgrade is a must if you want to squeeze out all the performance you can from your source.  It's a no brainer.  The stock umbilical is for the birds and is a weak point. 

I've got about 60 hours logged in with this umbilical, so I may get even more improvements as it burns in more, not sure.

Nice work Dan and the Modwright team!

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2011, 05:29 pm »
Thank you for the feedback!  I engineered the cable SPECIFICALLY with our circuits in mind.  This is why it works so well!

Take care and enjoy!

Dan

vinyl_lady

« Reply #22 on: 9 Mar 2011, 09:29 pm »
I've had the new ModWright Umbilical between my MW tube-modded Oppo 83SE and the PS 9 for about a month and agree whole-heartedly with the impressions noted above by Ern Dog. What I found stunning was the immediate improvement in detail and clarity, which only got better as I listened and the cable "burned in." The music has more body or fullness too. My CD collection has never sounded better--not as good as vinyl--but pretty darn good for a polycarbonate disc.

I highly recommend this umbilical. It truly is a no brainer given the improvement it provides. Good job Dan!
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm by vinyl_lady »

roboss38

« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2011, 12:03 am »
My first post on this forum. My Modwright tube modded 83 SE is arriving at my house tomorrow.  I went with upgraded umbilical right out the gate, and I think it sounds like my decision was a good one.  I'm really looking forward to getting the player burned in properly, and many years of enjoyable listening.

rfogel8

« Reply #24 on: 11 Mar 2011, 11:09 pm »
I've been using Dan's new umbilical with my 5400 for a couple weeks now and got the same results as the previous posts. The first thing I noticed was, the whole soundstage opened up and expanded. The noise floor dropped and little nuances and details came through more clearly. Transparency also improved with more weight and power to the music. It really didn't take long for the new cord to settle in and the improvements were immediately audible. WELL WORTH THE PRICE!!!

roboss38

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:19 pm »
I gave the Oppo and umbilical a listen this morning.  The Oppo is beautiful to listen too.  Dan's mod on this player is first rate, and I'm sure the sound will only improve with a couple hundred more hours of break-in.  Thank for the quality workmanship, and the care you put into this mod and umbilical.

audiodave33

« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:18 pm »
I just received the Custom Mod Umbilical cord.  I haven't done an extensive comparison to the original, plus new one is not broken in.  My initial impression that the sound is overall richer, but a bit unfocused.  Perhaps more break-in needs to happen.  I put some aluminum Symposium blocks under the power supply and the sound became more focused. 

Some other things I have experimented with that have had a positive influence on the CD player is having it on a Symposium Ultra shelf with roller blocks and one Stein Music E-Pad stuck on the tray.  If I hadn't tried it, I wouldn't of believed the difference the E-Pad makes.  I keep on removing it to see if it is my imagination and still has a positive effect, and it always does.  I have a few extra if anyone is interested in borrowing one.  Oh and currently using a Kaplan cable for the power supply and stock cable for the transport.

The combination of all these things has given me a clean, but warm and musical sound.  One test that I always do for sound-stage, clarity and warmth is play the Beatles Love album.  On the first track, about a 1:10 into it their is a fly that should sound like it is buzzing across the room.  First time I heard it with clarity is after I put direct lines in.  I was actually shocked it was their.

Thanks Dan for continuing to improve your products at a reasonable price point.