MicroZTOL + ZTOL10 + Omega CAM

Jorge

MicroZTOL + ZTOL10 + Omega CAM
« on: 15 Nov 2017, 03:31 pm »
Dear Friends,

I am new in this forum, writing from Spain. I would like to explain a bit my experience so far with Louis Chochos and the recent changes in my system.

I admit I was going a bit blind from the beginning, reading a lot and talking to people about how to improve or better said, how to go one step further with the classic, so to say, English sound or Germany sound or sound in general with the typical brands we have available in Europe. Looking for alternatives I decided to check single drivers options and manufacturers with some experience. After months, I ended with a company called Omega driven by Louis.

I do not know him personally, even after getting a pair of CAM. Everything has been done by email, cold media, I must say, but Louis, was always there and he replied my stupid questions every single time.

I went for a set of CAM, which I got in Barcelona, last July. Unfortunately, one of the drivers, had a damage on the paper cone due to transport and manipulation, most likely. I had informed Louis one Friday and next Wednesday following week I had already the spare driver already installed by me at home. Really fast an efficient.

So, I started to explore the single driver concept with lots of surprises and curiosity. First impressions while breaking in was that I had something special with a different sound in my hands. Breaking in period took July, August and September. Hooked to a Leben 300XS the CAM performed really well with detail, imagine and a clarity that I did not have with my PMCt24.

I really enjoyed and I still do those speakers. They bring something different although some people say they do not bring much bass. I honestly can stand too deep bass and I like smooth and low listening levels, even late at night. For such purpose, the CAM are simply perfect.

Following my curiosity I did ask Louis, which could be a perfect amp for the CAM and he suggested the   ZTOL10 together with the First Watt J2. I did check both alternatives and after reading as much as possible, I saw that the micro ZTOL as preamp and the ZTOL10 could be something to explore.

I did contacted Mark Schneider , a bit colder than Luis, but with a great business feeling. He gave me the chance to go for the micro and the new ZTOL10 Mark II which was about to be released in short.

So I got both pieces, I must be the first European running the ZTOL10 Mark II since September...

I mentioned before I was going blind because I trusted a couple of guys, without knowing them , some videos or photos in internet maybe..., selling from the US, so it is not easy to play with your money with people you do not know...

To make to long story short, I know now I am close to the Nirvana. The ZTOL and the micro are two special devices, really, that bring a sound so realistic and organic that is difficult to compare with any other. I do compare it with my Leben and a solid Cyrus Stero power, and the result is far away in clarity, 3D imagine, and absolute silence when music is not playing. Somethimes is really scaring how deep silent could be.

I want to thank here, Louis or course, for his incredible speakers, his advices and suggestions and for introducing me to these single driver wonders at a decent price.

I do not want to forget Mark, thank you very much for your extremely well made devices, german style...or sorry, fully American style....

The combination of Omega CAM and the microZTOL together with the ZTOL10, is a combination that I know I would have to spend double or triple amount of money in order to be close to. Simple as that.

Jorge

Re: MicroZTOL + ZTOL10 + Omega CAM
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2017, 03:46 pm »
Hi,

I will like to hear anybody with the same amp + preamp together with a set of Omegas if posible. I am running the MkII edition already.

Thank you for your contribution to this interesting combo.

sabocat

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2017, 03:25 pm »
I do not own the ZTOL10 amp but I am running the micozotl as a pre with a JWN 6V6 AMP at 8wpc and could not be happier. They drive the super 3 high output omegas.

Jorge

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2017, 11:37 am »
Thank you Sabocat,

Do you use the Micro with headphones? which ones if so? any recomendation? Did you ever tried to move your speakers only with the micro and its 2W???

sabocat

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2017, 03:30 pm »
Yes. I currently am using the Audio Technica ATH-R70x and AKG K7XX cans, and am awaiting delivery of the SENN HD6XX headphones. Massdrop has some great deals.

I tried running the microzotl directly and it sounded a bit thin.

sabocat

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2017, 05:12 pm »

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2017, 11:55 pm »
Sabocat - I have a pair of Super 3 HO Monitors as well.  I think the impedance might be a bit low to drive off a headphone amp.  I’ve found that even with my 4 wpc SET amp on the 8 ohm the sound thins out a bit.  I get the feeling a single driver might be a better match.

doggie

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2017, 02:25 pm »
Hi,

I will like to hear anybody with the same amp + preamp together with a set of Omegas if posible. I am running the MkII edition already.

Thank you for your contribution to this interesting combo.

I am running the MZ2+ and Z10 with Omega High Output Alnico floorstanders. I also have two SVS 12" subs doing the heavy lifting below 50hz. This combination is a match made in heaven.

These speakers easily handle big orchestral works and choral pieces without breaking up or loosing focus. I have found that using NOS tubes makes a huge difference although because of the unique circuit the break in time is lengthy. The only downside to these amps is that they sound very good when on for more than 1 hour but remarkable after 3 hours. Basically I turn the amps on early but try to plan focused listening sessions so that my I am ready and sitting with a glass of wine at about the three hour mark. It is worth it. This is not to say that they do not sound great before 3 hours, just that at that point they bloom into a really magical place.

I should add that they will not be embarrassed by the best front end you can assemble. Changes to my front end are easily heard and positive changes are very rewarding.

Jorge

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:51 pm »

[/img]

Hi, currently playing the Ztol10 with a pair of CAM. I do agree it takes  a while to get its best sound. Hard to believe i can improve the experience with the  Omega HO, but i am considering them as soon as i get rid of a pair of PMCt24.  Given the low hit produced by the ZTOL10, would anybody place it a normal rack? Which is exactly the height of the device by free air on the back and sides?

Jorge

« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:54 pm »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2017, 07:33 pm »
  We love the Micro however like the Audio Hungary Qualiton A20i with single driver speakers. If you are willing to spend more Border Patrol 300B. If you have no money issues then Lamm SET.

charles

doggie

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2017, 10:53 pm »
For those interested in LTA products I noticed on their site that they are having a 10% off Black Friday sale through Monday...

Louis O

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2017, 09:55 pm »
Hi Jorge,

Thanks and welcome to the forum. Many thanks for your great review and very kind words. It was great working with you and that you took a chance on trying out the CAMs and also buying on my recommendation the LTA electronics. More and more I'm hearing so many wonderful comments regarding the combo and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks everyone for the great posts.

Hi doggie,

Sounds like a great deal to me.

Thanks again,
Louis

doggie

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2017, 02:30 pm »
Hi Jorge,

Thanks and welcome to the forum. Many thanks for your great review and very kind words. It was great working with you and that you took a chance on trying out the CAMs and also buying on my recommendation the LTA electronics. More and more I'm hearing so many wonderful comments regarding the combo and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks everyone for the great posts.

Hi doggie,

Sounds like a great deal to me.

Thanks again,
Louis

Thanks Louis.

BTW I have been helping LTA to beta test a new amp. It is based on the Berning ZH-230 amp and uses a 17JN6 ultralinear output tube. It is called the "Ultralinear" and puts out about 20 watts.

I purchased one after having it in my system for a couple of months. It is more expensive than the Z10 but also a remarkable match for my HO Alnicos. More detail, better dynamics, and very musical. I do not want to derail this thread or break the rules for a review so I will let it settle in a bit more and then start a separate thread...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2017, 05:36 pm »
  We did the NY show with LTA. Great product period. Bang for buck as well.

charles

Jorge

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2017, 11:54 am »
Hi, difficult to imagine better sound than the ZTOL10MkII + microZtol....with NOS option like me. I must wait long until I see the opportunity to move forward. But thank you for the update and information.