SST Ampzilla Monos / Ambrosia Pre SOLD

rooze

SST Ampzilla Monos / Ambrosia Pre SOLD
« on: 4 Aug 2015, 08:01 pm »
I'm putting my toe in the water here to see if anyone might be interested in acquiring this great pre/power amp setup.

On offer here is a pair of SST Ampzilla 2000 Monoblocks, along with the matching Ambrosia preamp.

These are all original version 1, not the V2.

At this moment I'm keen to sell the set, pre/power together. Of course they work great matched with other amps but there's a wonderful synergy when you keep it in the family, so to speak. The information on the current second edition amps can be found here http://www.sst.audio/ampzilla/

These amps have been reviewed alongside several highly regarded amplifiers, both pre and power, and according to certain well respected reviewers they hold their own alongside the very best.

Personally, these are the best amps I've had in my system over the 35 years or so of being involved in this madness. Yes, I've had a LOT of amps in my system!

I would consider the Ampzilla 2000 to be a significant improvement over amps such as the Sim Audio W10 which I've owned in the past and were favored among a plethora of other amps which passed through my hands. You know when something sounds 'right', because it really doesn't sound like anything at all. Where most amps add or subtract something, and that something either pleases you or does not, the Ampzilla just seems to do nothing other than 'amplify'.

The Ambrosia is also a formidable piece of kit and the MC phono stage is truly excellent IMHO. As a preamp it's a significant step up from the likes of the Aesthetix Calypso Linestage, for example, which is the next best preamp I've owned. With a Supratek Chenin driving the Ampzillas I thought I was getting the best of everything - Solid State power alongside the 'tube magic' that we hear about. But with the Ambrosia up-front, the whole soundscape opens up and you finally hear the recording in it's true and unfettered light. You really do not need tubes when you run this combo - it's so neutral that everything just sounds right. And if your source of choice is primarily digital, don't panic - the Ambrosia has a very sophisticated filter and 'tilt' function and system of tonal adjustment, so you can massage the sonic pasta into whatever shape of noodle you like - within reason of course.

Condition of amps is very, very good. The power amps were checked over at the factory a few years ago by JB himself and left following the inspection looking and sounding like new amps. I was fortunate enough to have a conversation with JB shortly before his passing and one could sense the passion he had for these, his flagship amplifiers.

The face-plates and chassis look like new to my eyes and they come with like-new shipping cartons and all of the factory packaging.

The Ambrosia looks just as good, though on the back of the amp some of the lettering is fading a touch. Also, the lettering on the remote is fading, as you can see from the image. The shipping carton of the Ambrosia is not as pristine as those of the Ampzillas.

These are glorious amps to behold, assuming you're OK with the Star-Trek emblems of course! They're quite compact in size yet heavy, so they work nicely if you want to set them out on the floor adjacent your speakers. They (both power and pre) offer balanced and single-ended options and have all of the inputs you'll ever need, including HT pass-through circuitry.

The Ampzilla provides excellent power and dynamics, far beyond that indicated by the on-paper specification, IMHO, yet at the same time they're capable of recreating more subtle and delicate passages with finesse.

I drive a pair of Carver Amazing (original woofers and 60" ribbons) with the Ampzilla and they handle the load without issue. Other amps have creaked and groaned under the load, including Odyssey Stratos Mono Extremes and a Sunfire 300, but the Ampzilla simply sits there getting louder as you crank the dial without exhibiting any outward sign of strain, reluctance or resentment.

They check all of the usual audiophile boxes on the list that you surely must own if you're still reading this - but to be honest, with these amps you'll quickly transcend the status of audio nitpicker when you find yourself engaged by the sheer musicality of this beautiful setup.

My asking price for the set is a mere $4700 excluding shipping, which I would estimate at somewhere around $150 including insurance. I will entertain listening to offers but since I'm in no real hurry to sell, it's unlikely that I'll budge more than a couple of shackles at this point. [I have no interest in trades and I don't care if she makes an awesome sammich and can handle a shovel).

Lastly, I was delighted to hear that SST are still going strong under the stewardship of Wyred 4 Sound - a great USA based company with a solid technical base. So your investment is safe and in good hands.

Thanks for visiting.

Rooze

PS - because I no longer use my system, thanks.

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2015, 06:01 pm by rooze »

bnut311

Re: SST Ampzilla Monos / Ambrosia Pre
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm »
Where are these shipping from?

rooze

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2015, 02:33 am »
Where are these shipping from?

Wisconsin 54209

rooze

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2015, 01:19 pm »
I should also add that for established Audiocircle members I can accept payment via check/PayPal/USPS Money Order/Visa/MC/Amex/Discover/JCB/ and even cash. (I'm not an audio dealer).

I reserve the right to limit payment options for members with little or no AC 'reputation'.

Thanks!

rooze

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2015, 12:28 pm »
BUMP.

I have these listed on Audiogon, so if you feel more comfortable using their system. I'll drop the price to $4500 for anyone using a USPS money order, otherwise I'll eat the paypal fees at $4700.

I have a long and unblemished trading history on Audiogon (rooze) and on eBay.

Great chance to snag maybe the last amp setup you'll ever own.