Cheap Sony UDA1 DAC

GentleBender

Cheap Sony UDA1 DAC
« on: 4 Aug 2015, 10:07 am »
Right now Woot has Sony UDA1 in Black or Silver for $199! I grabbed one to try out Hi Rez digital audio. http://www.woot.com/plus/sony-high-res-audio-speaker-systems

Phil A

Re: Cheap Sony UDA1 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2015, 01:03 pm »
Wow - great deal!

GentleBender

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2015, 01:21 pm »
I found what seems to be an unbiased review of the Sony UDA1 DAC. http://hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/sony-uda-1-usb-dac-amplifier-review.html

Below is taken directly from the review and is not a problem since I don't plan on using the amp portion.  :thumb:

(Unfortunately, where the Sony UDA-1 falls short is with.. Hi-Res audio! When I A-B’d a 16bit/44.1kHz lossless version of John Williams’ Jurassic Park to the HDTracks release of the 20th Anniversary 24bit/192kHz version, I could barely tell a difference via the Audeze LCD-X and UDA-1 headphone out. There was a slight increase in dynamics, but the clarity and liveliness I have come to expect from that Hi-Res version remained about the same between the two. Via the Epos bookshelf speakers it was nearly impossible to tell which recording was 24/192. This is not meant as a slam against Hi-Res audio, because I know I have heard a difference in file formats. In fact, I ran the RCA line out from the UDA-1 to a high performance ALO Studio Six headphone amp in order to bypass some of the electronics within the Sony. In this test I was able to easily identify the hi-res version of track seven “Welcome to Jurassic Park.”

I used the DSD downloads of David Elias to test the UDA-1 with DSD files. In part due to a quality recording, the DSD clearly sounded better than your standard 256kbps MP3. David’s rich tonality played beautifully through the Audeze LCD-X headphones with wonderful clarity. As to what sounded better, the 88.2/24-bit FLAC or the original Pure DSD 2.8MHz recording, I did indeed prefer the DSD version. The bass had more depth and punch, and the acoustic guitars were a step more dynamic and tangible than the FLAC version. However, this review is not a debate about audio formats as I have heard plenty of wonderful FLAC recordings that aren’t even available on DSD. The real point here is that the Sony UDA-1 can handle anything and everything in your digital music collection.)

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2015, 04:49 pm »
Hey Now,

Just ordered a silver one. Hoping it sounds better than the iFI Nano for DSD, which is already pretty good.

--
Finest,
Chris

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2015, 06:14 pm »
Hey Now,

Just ordered a silver one. Hoping it sounds better than the iFI Nano for DSD, which is already pretty good.

--
Finest,
Chris

let us know when you get it

ksbruce

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2015, 10:02 pm »
Yeah I get the daily email from Woot and it was very tempting.... also have the nano dsd.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2015, 11:02 pm »
Sold out already... too bad, I would have bought one... they are several time the price on Sony's site.

GentleBender

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2015, 08:59 am »
I'll keep a look out for a deal in the future and post it again. I've missed a few myself.

ccklone

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2015, 02:33 am »
let us know when you get it

Hey Now,

That was quick, the UDA-1 arrived this morning. I set it up at my computer workstation and I am very pleased with it so far. I have a 5K iMac > Kimber USB cable > iFI Purifier > UDA-1 > Design Acoustics PS-10As in a near field environment. I used to have 5K iMac > Kimber USB cable > iFI Purifier > Meier Daccord via variable output > TPA3110 class 'D' amp w/ Astron 12v PS > DA PS10As. The Daccord is a very nice DAC and sounds terrific. The UDA-1 holds its own against the Daccord.

To play DSD on the Mac, you have to download a couple of files from Sony and use their Hi-Res Audio Player. It is a very rudimentary player. If you have lots of DSD files it would be a pain in the ass, but I only have a few DSD files and it wasn't too bad setting up playlists. The DSD files sounded very good. I have the usual free DSD downloads from Sony, 2L, Blue Coast, JLBFO, Native DSD, iFi Micro IDAC2 sampler and have only one DSD album so far, Shelby Lynn's "Just A Little Lovin'. The UDA-1 plays all my PCM Hi-Res files with no problem through Audirvana+, Fidelia and JRMC. Audirvana+ sounded best to my ears. The UDA-1 displayed the correct samples for the Hi-Res files I tested. Listening to a Pono download of "Kind of Blue" 192 kHz right now through Fidelia using the Goodhertz converter and it is quite nice.

I decided to hook up an old Hafler tuner I had laying around into the single analog inputs. Sweet, I can listen to Sunday morning jazz on our local NPR station (WFPK). The remote is a simple one - on/off, inputs, mute, volume and DSEE switch. The DSEE is Sony's way of making lossy files sound better.  I have a Sony ZX2 Walkman (which is just a fantastic bit of kit!!!!!) and wanted to try and stream some offline Tidal files via the Sony WM port via USB into the front USB port on the UDA-1, but for the life of me I can't find a USB A male to USB A male in the house. Will have to try that another day, don't know wit will work; it is supposed to be for USB memory sticks. Headphone output was very good. I tried it with a pair of lower impedance Shure SRH-1840s and a pair of 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT-880s. It drove the Beyers to high volumes with no problems.

All 'n' all, I am very happy with this purchase and the performance of this unit has surpassed my expectations for $199, it is well worth the 200 bucks. Would I buy it for $799, I dunno, probably not. I wanted a DSD DAC for the computer workstation, I probably would have bought an iFI Micro DSD and used that in the main system and used the Nano at the computer. I have some other speakers I want to try out as well. I am liking the UDA-1 so far and it is a very nice all in one unit. Cleaned up my bookshelf 8^).

--
Finest kind,
Chris

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2015, 03:14 am »
but for the life of me I can't find a USB A male to USB A male in the house.

A-A cables are forbidden by standard as there could be an issue with hooking up 2 devices that both have 5V power sources. They make them but they are dangerous and not used for standard USB applications.

ccklone

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2015, 03:27 am »
A-A cables are forbidden by standard as there could be an issue with hooking up 2 devices that both have 5V power sources. They make them but they are dangerous and not used for standard USB applications.

Hey Now Dave,

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

--
Finest kind,
Chris