Cornwall Crossover

gfxmla

Cornwall Crossover
« on: 3 Mar 2016, 01:08 am »
hi Sonic Craft,
I'm looking for some advice. My Klipsch Cornwalls need a cap refresh as they are passing high frequencies and turning into ear bleeders. I found a diagram of the crossovers and it looks like I just have three caps to replace. I haven't done X-Over work in a speaker yet so my n00b question is should I replace the inductors at the same time as the caps or can I let the originals stay? Is there a way to test their value?

Regarding the caps, I'm looking at  the Mcap EVO oils you carry. Are these overkill, or Sonic Nirvana?

Attached is the crossover diagram.

Thanks for any insight.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: Cornwall Crossover
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:18 am »
Hello,

The speakers are definitely worth an investment.  The coils do not need to be replaced.  The 2uF and 5uF is where you will want to focus your efforts.

Regarding the caps, I'm looking at  the Mcap EVO oils you carry. Are these overkill, or Sonic Nirvana?

IMO, neither.  It would be better than what you have.  I consider them a budget consideration.

My recommendation on a budget would be a new cap I have coming out.  I would use them for your 5uF and 2uF.  The cost for both speakers would be around $120.  For the low pass shunt: http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/mundorf-cap-plain-68uf-50vdc-35vac-p-4082

It goes up from there...

gfxmla

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2016, 06:09 am »
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the info.

So what would you recommend for the 2 & 5 uf? Something else in the Mundorf family or a different brand altogether?  I'm open to suggestions right now as I'm collecting data for budgeting purposes.

Thanks-Geoff.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2016, 07:32 pm »
Geoff,

I would give you a link to the new cap (a Sonicap), but it is not up on our site yet.  It is, however, in stock.  If you were to stick to Mundorf, you would need to start with the supreme series.  The best cap out there for that speaker is Jupiter (i.e. $).  My recommendation is sound, but based on a presumed budget (~$133 for all the caps).  My top recommendation would set you back ~$865.

gfxmla

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:07 pm »
I gotcha.

I have a pair of the Jupiter HTs in my SET rig and they do sound nice and smooth.  I only ask about the Mundorfs because I read such rave reviews about them,  but it is hard to drop serious coin on some of these without hearing them first  :D . I am familiar with the Jupiters and also the sonic characteristics of Audience Auricap (they are in my push pull rig).  Perhaps I should stick with what I already know.

I'll keep checking yr site for the updates to Sonicaps. I'm assuming these are a different line then the G1, G2, and Platinum lines you have currently posted?

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:23 pm »
Geoff,

Both the Jupiter, and the old Auricap would take you in the right direction.  The Mundorf EVO/Oil would as well.  It is a matter of how far do you need to go, and how refined.  This has to be leveraged with the budget as well.  Correct, the cap I am referring to is not the G1, G2, or Plat.  When/if you are interested, send us an email through our site, and I'll make them available.  They will likely not be released for another month or two.