HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server
« Reply #80 on: 4 Dec 2011, 05:17 am »
Showing my ignorance, what does the battery buss do?  I see why AC would need cleaning, but why batteries? 
Scott

HAL

« Reply #81 on: 4 Dec 2011, 12:44 pm »
Scott,
The Music Server setup needs 12VDC and 5VDC to run.  The BatteryBUSS does the DC regulation for 5VDC and provides the multiple DC outlets needed.  There is also filtering on the 12VDC high power connections to eliminate any power supply noise crossfeed to the different loads.

The one I had Dave build has two high power DC outlets for the MS-1 and Dodd Audio Battery Buffer.  There are four dual voltage (5VDC and 12VDC) low power DC outlets for peripherals like the external eSATA drive.   

Dave also provided the DC power cabling I needed for all the connections, as there are many different size coaxial DC connectors and Neutrik Powercon connectors in the setup.   

In the headphone setup that I am using at this time, I only need the MS-1 and eSATA on DC power.  In the future I can also run the DIY DAC on the same BatteryBUSS.

It also provides a power switch, breaker and reversed DC connection protection in case of a problem downstream from the battery.  Important operation and safety precautions needed for the battery.

S Clark

« Reply #82 on: 4 Dec 2011, 05:47 pm »
Ok, that clear up quite a bit.  If my buffer ever goes back into my main system with the MS-1, I may ask Dave to fix up something similar. 

Scott

HAL

« Reply #83 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:35 am »
Wishing everyone Happy Holiday's to you and yours!   :D

S Clark

« Reply #84 on: 20 Dec 2011, 02:02 am »
Thanks Rich.  The same to you and all the AC family. :xmas:

stu

« Reply #85 on: 21 Dec 2011, 03:41 pm »
Hi Rich,
Happy Holidays and happy new year to you too.  One of the highlights of 2012 for me was getting to meet and spend time with you and Danny at AXPONA.  It is always fun to meet new friends that share a common interest.

BTW, I spent last night at the BWI airport Marriot, and we are also scheduled to return late tonight.  Of course, that is always subject to change. 

Take care,
Mark

HAL

« Reply #86 on: 21 Dec 2011, 08:14 pm »
Mark,
There is a Duclaw's Microbrewery in BWI!  They have decent beers and very good food if you are in the mood.

It is about 2 hours from my place.

stu

« Reply #87 on: 21 Dec 2011, 11:23 pm »
Rich,

I am sitting in the airport lounge in PIT right now.  We brought a passenger here from BWI, and we take him back late tonight.  We get back about 11:00pm tonight.  Scheduled to leave BWI in the morning about 11:30 for Charlotte,N.C.  If it wasn't for the glamour, this job would suck! :lol:
 Maybe next ime.
Mark

HAL

« Reply #88 on: 26 Dec 2011, 09:11 pm »
MS-1 owners announcement:

I have heard via the grape vine (what else do you have when the woodworker has no phone?) that the wood tops should be available this week!  :D

Will be taking a trip to the shop mid week to collect the finished units.  Once I have them, will ship them to the owners!

Once I have them, will post an update with pictures!

Almost made it for Christmas.  Hopefully before New Years! 

S Clark

« Reply #89 on: 26 Dec 2011, 09:19 pm »
It's like it's Christmas again!   :xmas:

stu

« Reply #90 on: 27 Dec 2011, 02:30 pm »
Thanks Rich, I look forward to the "new look".

Happy New Year!!!
Mark

HAL

« Reply #91 on: 29 Dec 2011, 02:07 pm »
Will pick the tops up tonight and get them ready tomorrow to ship.  :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #92 on: 29 Dec 2011, 02:11 pm »
YES, pics please.   :green:

HAL

« Reply #93 on: 30 Dec 2011, 02:11 am »
Ok here is a picture of the raw tops from my woodworker.  Solid red oak with stain and gloss finish.

Next step is to install the copper mesh.  Hopefully it will be warm enough tomorrow for the epoxy to set.

S Clark

« Reply #94 on: 30 Dec 2011, 02:25 am »
Very nice.  :D

Tubeburner

« Reply #95 on: 30 Dec 2011, 04:43 pm »
Any news from owners how the MS-1 is working now that there is time on the server? Does the server benefit from more memory?

Thank you for your comments.

abernardi

« Reply #96 on: 31 Dec 2011, 03:33 am »
Hi Rich,
  I've been following this thread with great interest.  I have my entire music and movie collection on an old PC with LOTS of terabytes running unRAID (a very cool linux based server).  I've been using a SB touch to get at the music and a little HTPC for the movies (similar to yours, Atom 330/ION, power supply outside, windows 7).  But now you have me thinking about using the PC as the music server too.  Have you tried accessing the media over ethernet or wifi on your system, and if so, how does it compare to usb/esata?  I'm using wifi with the touch right now and it's been surprisingly solid and sounds pretty good, but I have nothing to compare it to.

HAL

« Reply #97 on: 31 Dec 2011, 06:10 am »
I have used the MS-1 to stream to my SB Touch with very good results.  I do not have that in my main audio setup, so have not compared the audio quality.

The main setup is MS-1, eSATA drive and USB2 DAC.  That setup has excellent audio quality.

I would say that as long as the RAID is available as shared data on your network, it should sound very good with the HTPC running an external DAC. 

My best results so far are with asynchronous USB DAC's or USB to S/PDIF converters like the Musiland Monitor 01USD or M2Tech hiFace or hiFace Evo.  Both do 24bit/192KHz with their special drivers and Windows 7 HP x64 OS.  I like the hiFace Evo more, but the hiFace and Musiland are very good.

What really sounds excellent is a DAC's running with USB to I2S Bus input from the MS-1.   :D

Hope this helps.

HAL

« Reply #98 on: 31 Dec 2011, 08:42 pm »
It hit 61 degrees today so was able to finish the tops. 

Once the epoxy sets, will be able to take a picture and then get them packed for shipment!

Happy New Year to everyone!

HAL

« Reply #99 on: 1 Jan 2012, 02:12 pm »
With the new year comes batch #1 of completed MS-1 tops! 

Will be packing them for shipment shortly and going out Tuesday to the owners.

:D