SACD ripping using a PS3

ebag4

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #220 on: 19 Dec 2013, 12:30 am »
Hi Phil, we cross posted while I was editing my post.  I have asked that question and am waiting to hear back.  Is Rogero or Multiman an issue?

Thanks,
Ed

Phil A

« Reply #221 on: 19 Dec 2013, 12:54 am »
Hi Phil, we cross posted while I was editing my post.  I have asked that question and am waiting to hear back.  Is Rogero or Multiman an issue?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, don't know what those are for or what they do.  What I can tell you is with the right model and firmware, the firmware gets hacked and creates 'SACD Ripper' (and Ted has a great guide) which appears as a game on the PS3 menu.

JohnWalker

« Reply #222 on: 21 Dec 2013, 02:04 pm »
Please allow me first to introduce myself - John Walker, an audiophile for 40 years, and a fan of 'open' products and the burgeoning 'make' community.  I have finally obtained a PS3 (at the fourth attempt) that is the correct version and firmware to play and rip SACDs. Further, I have enough audio + software engineering background to be able to contribute to the group's activity perhaps by building new features into the code, but my main aim is to rip SACDs to hi-res PCM or DSD for storage and playback from my PC. My questions for the group are as follows:
1. The PS3 is on 3.15 OFW and actually plays SACDs through the optical out. This sounds rare, and potentially valuable Should I try to keep this capability? (I might be prepared to buy a second PS3 if necessary.)
2. Could someone please provide a compiled copy of sacd-ripper, for my own personal use?
3. I cannot get a working ps3toolchain. I've spent a couple of fruitless days trying to build the  toolchain under Ubuntu 13.10, but there are broken dependencies. Can anyone in the group advise on the best method to get a working copy? (CygWin or Linux? Which compiler version? How can I stop it from trying to build unwanted texinfo documentation?)
4. Finally, could I ask your forbearance if some of the answers have already appeared? I will trawl through the remaining posts in the next few hours.

JohnWalker

« Reply #223 on: 31 Dec 2013, 11:29 am »
OK, I've dug deeper, found the latest instructions and got the ripper working. Thanks to Ted for all his work making this incredibly useful software available.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #224 on: 31 Dec 2013, 01:18 pm »
John,
Welcome to AC.  Sorry I didn't see your Dec 21 post or I would have sent a PM with all the links.  I will now, just in case.

SACD cannot be played through optical, so what you are hearing is the redbook layer.  DSD is protected from anything but HDMI; hence the unique aspect of ripping DSD so our DSD-capable DACs (or PCM converted) can play it. 

jeff691

« Reply #225 on: 6 Feb 2014, 02:59 pm »
Hi ted_b,

Could you please send me a copy of your pdf guide?

Thank you very much!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #226 on: 8 Feb 2014, 09:42 pm »
PM sent.  Welcome to AC.

mattsf

« Reply #227 on: 25 Feb 2014, 07:56 pm »
Has anyone been able to compile sacd-ripper 0.3.7 for the mac? I've downloaded the source and attempted to compile (I have the OSX command line tools (GCC) installed). I got the error bellow while trying to configure. Contrary to the last line of output, it did not generate a config.log file.

Does the difference between 0.3.7 and 0.3.6 matter?

$ sh configure
configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for ppu-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for ppu-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #228 on: 26 Feb 2014, 02:55 pm »
Mattsf, the v.37 ripper is for the PS3 (I know you said "for the MAC" I assume you mean "on the MAC"), and available in a compiled form.  It is readily available in my guide.  See below.  (Note: if you meant the extractor for Mac, that is on Mr Wicked's google page, and also in my guide...but extraction should be done via Jesus's GUI now anyway).

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #229 on: 26 Feb 2014, 02:58 pm »
Gang, I wanted to announce that I have FINALLY updated the SACD Ripping Guide to Version 4.0. It has been rewritten with an emphasis on the new GUI way of ISO extraction (thanks again Jesus), more info on JRiver tips and links, and I've removed all the old manual extraction and early outdated DSD info.

It's on my public dropbox account and so that link is now sitting as the last entry on our DSD database.

DSD Database link

werd

« Reply #230 on: 4 Mar 2014, 07:21 pm »
Anybody try using a PS4 to do this? I have a ps4 and  would be mighty handy if it did.

rwdrey_009

« Reply #231 on: 7 Mar 2014, 07:12 am »
Hello Ted,

Was also wondering if you could please send me a copy of your pdf SACD ripping guide. Thankyou very much for all the work!

Rich Dreyer

audio.bill

« Reply #232 on: 7 Mar 2014, 02:10 pm »
Rich - please see Ted's post #229 above. A direct link to the guide is now provided in the DSD Database.  :thumb:

rwdrey_009

« Reply #233 on: 7 Mar 2014, 03:33 pm »
Thankyou very much AudioBill & Ted!

audio.bill

« Reply #234 on: 7 Mar 2014, 06:39 pm »
You're very welcome, but Ted did all the work and really deserves all of the credit!

oosek

« Reply #235 on: 4 Apr 2014, 04:08 am »
That's a great guide.

rlando

« Reply #236 on: 20 Apr 2014, 12:08 am »
Hi all,

Newbie here, just getting into SACD ripping.  I am about to purchase the appropriate PS3 with older firmware for upwards of $300, it makes sense given my collection of about 110 SACDS.  My question is, will I notice that much difference playing DSDs from my PC?  Sounds like I will, I just want assurance it is worth the $300...

Thanks in advance,

Bob

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #237 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:18 pm »
Hi all,

Newbie here, just getting into SACD ripping.  I am about to purchase the appropriate PS3 with older firmware for upwards of $300, it makes sense given my collection of about 110 SACDS.  My question is, will I notice that much difference playing DSDs from my PC?  Sounds like I will, I just want assurance it is worth the $300...

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob,
Welcome to AC.  If you don't own a DAC that is DSD-capable then no, not really; you will have to have your ripped DSD files converted to PCM.  The PS3 project is really only worth it if you have a plan to go to a DSD-capable DAC soon.  Your ripped DSD files will play today, once converted, but the lossy conversion to 24 bit will be a step back from the work involved to buy the PS3, rip them, etc.   

DanielF

« Reply #238 on: 20 Apr 2014, 01:40 pm »
Bob,

It's unlikely you'll hear any difference.  The primary advantage of ripping SACDs to a PC (IMHO) is the convenience of streaming them from a PC and never having to fiddle with loading a disc player ever again!  You can play all the tracks shuffled (if that's how you like to listen to music) - it's hard to do that otherwise, without a 110-disc changer!!  :lol:

Keep in mind there are members of this forum (and others) who offer to rip SACDs free.  Obviously it's much cheaper (for postage) if you're in the same country (I can do this, but I'm in Australia).

DanielF

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #239 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:23 pm »
And in most cases a smaller SACD collection does not need ripping (cuz myself, Tyson and others have thousands of rips...so the chance your 110 is in that collection is already pretty high).  When I rip folks personal collection I will likely need less than 10% of their discs.