Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

low.pfile

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #1200 on: 27 Apr 2015, 08:01 pm »
Built to Spill at the Bunkhouse Saloon, Las Vegas 4-20-15.  Terrible phone pictures, but a great show in a small dive bar.

That's my kind of place and you were able to get up nice and close, even better!

MttBsh

« Reply #1201 on: 1 May 2015, 06:40 pm »
Saw Al DiMeola last night at Jazz Alley in Seattle. I hadn't seen him since the 70s because, frankly, I wasn't wild about his musical direction the last 30 years. But he's currently on his "Elegant Gypsy" tour, playing almost exclusively material from his best selling albums of the 70s. He was as good or better than I've seen him before - his guitar tone and volume were crushing, and his fingers were all over the neck playing riffs that were out of this world, stopping on a dime.  His band was excellent, our table was just a few feet from the conga player who has been with Al forever. I haven't seen a show like this in many years, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the one hour forty five minute set, including a couple of pieces from a new album due out in a couple of weeks called Elysium that rocked as hard as any of his older material. Al is one of the best guitarists on the planet, go see him if you can on this tour.

mvwine

« Reply #1202 on: 11 May 2015, 07:21 pm »
Rush in Tulsa Friday. The first show of their (possibly) farewell tour. Excellent show! Geddy's voice was surprisingly good. Hit all but the very highest screaming notes (which he did not attempt). Playing was as good as ever, even Neil's drum solo. They worked backward through their albums, beginning with selections from "Clockwork Angels" and ending with the one that started it all - "Working Man". It sure felt like a final bow, but if it was, it was nearly perfect.

stlrman

« Reply #1203 on: 12 May 2015, 12:45 pm »
The Antlers at Mr. Smalls Funhouse , Pittsburgh.
Mutual Benefit opening . Great shows!

rockadanny

« Reply #1204 on: 26 May 2015, 09:03 pm »
Thursday night had a blast with the Jessie Brown Band at the Hog's Breath Saloon in Key West, FL. Country-Rock, with an emphasis on the Rock. So much fun we closed the place down, then went further down Duval St. in search of even more fun. But that is subject for a different type of thread  :lol:

low.pfile

« Reply #1205 on: 28 May 2015, 10:34 pm »
Last week, I saw The Jesus and Mary Chain doing the entire Psycho Candy album live at The Warfield, SF. From the first balcony the sound was not great to me. I think I need to stay out of the balcony, especially for amplified Rock music. But they played really tight and sounded like classic TJAMC!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #1206 on: 29 May 2015, 08:00 pm »
Todd Rundgren at the House of Blues (Houston) - 28 May 15.

Todd played way too much of his disappointing new album "Global" and turned all of his classic songs into techno versions. Sigh....

SlushPuppy

« Reply #1207 on: 29 May 2015, 08:01 pm »
Last week, I saw The Jesus and Mary Chain doing the entire Psycho Candy album live at The Warfield, SF. From the first balcony the sound was not great to me. I think I need to stay out of the balcony, especially for amplified Rock music. But they played really tight and sounded like classic TJAMC!

Awesome!  :thumb:

low.pfile

« Reply #1208 on: 30 May 2015, 05:04 pm »
I was fortunate to finally see Frazey Ford in my favorite venue in SF. Typically iThe Independent is a general admission standing floor venue, but last night they had seats and tables set up, which. I have never experienced there in all of my visits, so it was a very different experience. The setup didn't stop a few from couples dancing for a song or two. But I had to wall lean as the seats were full.

She sounded amazing! Great music. Unique voice! With only two solo albums she covered a lot of her music. The sound mix was perfect.

low.pfile

« Reply #1209 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:15 am »
Well, Nneka was great, and full of passion. The audience had some lameness...so many people where chatting during the music, even she noticed and grimaced. The sound at The New Parish, Oakland is passible, but the room acoustics is not ideal. too many low ceilings? Nice performance by Nneka and her band nonetheless.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1210 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:46 am »
Just got home from Shelby Lynne at the Soiled Dove Underground, good stuff, as usual.  Some real music for sure.
Full band this time, nice!

SlushPuppy

« Reply #1211 on: 12 Jun 2015, 03:42 pm »
The Helio Sequence at Fitzgerald's in downtown Houston - 10 June 15

The opening band 'Lost Lander' was really good. I'd never heard of them before but was very impressed. The drummer and lead singer/guitar player were fantastic. I bought their "Medallion" album from their booth after the show.

I had high expectations for The Helio Sequence and they performed admirably! My daughter and I talked about them during the entire drive home and even chatted about them again last night. I've seen at least a hundred large and small concerts in my lifetime and this was easily one of the best I've seen. They connected with me in a way that few live bands ever have. We were about 8 feet from them the entire show and the crowd was super cool.

sandbagger

« Reply #1212 on: 12 Jun 2015, 04:57 pm »
Got to see Flogging Molly last night with Gogol Bordello, talk about high energy show!!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1213 on: 13 Jun 2015, 05:25 pm »
U2 at the Pepsi Center, Denver CO, June 6

Scott F.

« Reply #1214 on: 14 Jun 2015, 02:51 am »

Alison Krauss and Union Station at an amphitheater in Alton  Illinois

SlushPuppy

« Reply #1215 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:18 pm »
Greg Trooper at McGonigel's Mucky Duck in downtown Houston - 26 June 15

Small venue with a table just a few feet away from the stage. His songs have been covered by Steve Earle, Vince Gill and Billy Bragg.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #1216 on: 28 Jun 2015, 02:01 pm »
World Party at the House of Blues (Houston) - 28 June 15

Great show by Karl Wallinger last night even though the House of Blues had serious issues all around.

Captainhemo

« Reply #1217 on: 28 Jun 2015, 04:53 pm »
Prism Steps UP

Wow,    what an evening last night….
This post will be a bit different from the norm but bear with me, I think it's a great story.    My niece has been taking music lessons for a few years now at a local music school.  Twice a year the school puts  on a concert in our community theater (seats approx 1,000).  These concerts are usually themed (movie rock, Canadian rock,  hair bands vs southern rock etc etc,  you get the idea.  All the songs are covers performed by the students (vocals and  instruments) who typically range in age  from approximately 8 to 20.  All proceeds go to our local hospital’s pediatric ward.

At last summer’s show (the Canada Rock theme) the director  of the music program, arranged to have  Tad Goddard (bassist  from Prism) play alongside the kids in a few of the tracks including the  finale , Prism’s own Armageddon.  It was amazing  and Ab obviously  really enjoyed   the evening and must have been  impressed with what he heard

Discussions began to  take this up a notch.  Tonight’s show consisted entirely of Prism  songs and Prism was not only there, but they were performing  right alongside the kids in each and every track. 

The show  started with Prism playing  “Spaceship Superstar”  from the Armageddon album  and they  rocked  the place !!

After that, the kids took over the show but Prism stayed on stage  interacting  with the kids, encouraging, and  participation in all of the songs in some  fashion.   These guys  spent  2.5+ hrs  rocking alongside  all these students and  had a great time doing it.  The show was  stunning and you could  just  tell  the kids were  absolutely thrilled to be performing along side the band  . 

At the end of the show , Al Harlow (Prism's guitarist) came out to say a few words including how much fun  the evening was, how proud all of the parents /families should be,  and   especially how  overwhelmed  they (Prism) were with the hard work and effort  these kids put in to produce  such a great concert.  These kids  were really good,  AGAIN !.  I  really don’t think  Prism expected this  level of performance  from a group of students, who btw only have 3 full practice sessions as a group !! In many of the performances,  the kids were just beaming; loving  the  opportunity to play with a  "real" band... the interactions between  these kids and Prism was actually   somewhat emotional... guess you had to be there .

On top of everything, these guys took it a step further.  After the show, they invited all the families of   the students to come up on stage,  meet the  guys,   get some autographs and have pictures taken, it was really cool, a total class act!

Not only should all these students be extremely proud of what they’ve accomplished and the show they put on, but so should Prism. You guys went way out of your way to make this a very special night for so many  kids.  I’m sure it will be a special night  to many of them for years to come.  A huge thanks to Noel, the staff, all  the instructiors over at Wentwoth Music , and  of course to Prism for their efforts that made this such a great event  :beer:

Awesome

A couple videos,

First, one of Prism opening with "Spacehip Superstar"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqtRa8fBB_M

One of the stdents performing American Canadain Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3lXJAtqz7s

jay
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2015, 05:58 am by Captainhemo »

GentleBender

« Reply #1218 on: 13 Jul 2015, 09:16 am »

Colin Hay

My wife and I went to St. Augustine Amplitheater to see Colin Hay and Violent Femmes. I wasn't real familiar with Colin Hay's work other than the song "Down Under" but it didn't keep me from enjoying him playing. Violent Femmes were more than spectacular! They opened with "Blister in the Sun" and played many of their best songs and some new stuff. We got to meet bassist Brian Ritchie and current drummer Brian Viglione when they autographed their new record for us. They had so many talented musicians on stage with them playing everything including horns, banjo, cajón box, fiddle, accordion, slide, and even more.  :o

I could have listened to them all night, but Bare Naked Ladies were the headliner. Everyone I talked to said they were there for the Violent Femmes. We had to leave after meeting the Violent Femmes and even though I know the Bare Naked Ladies are talented, I don't feel like I missed much. I'm sure they are fun and put on a great show!

mjosef

« Reply #1219 on: 13 Jul 2015, 07:06 pm »
Sarah Jarosz/ Punch Brothers, a free concert @ Brooklyn Prospect Park Bandshell.

http://bricartsmedia.org/performing-arts/celebrate-brooklyn/2015-prospect-park-bandshell

The rain began after she performed, so I didn't take any pic of the Punch Brothers, but really liked their music.