Newbie here...

mhorwood

Newbie here...
« on: 25 Nov 2014, 04:44 am »
Just starting out as we have a new home and turning two rooms into one music/theatre room. Got some pieces of the puzzle, but looking for all help and advice I can get. Thanks!

Equipment:

Denon AVR x4000
L/R Front: Paradigm Studio 60 v4's
Sub: Velodyne VX-10B
TV: Samsung un65h7150

happy to be here

charmerci

Re: Newbie here...
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2014, 04:02 pm »
Got some pieces of the puzzle, but looking for all help and advice I can get. Thanks!

Yeah sure, sell everything and spend a hell of a lot more on much better stuff!!!  :lol: (Which, of course will happen anyway!)

It's a good place here with good advice and good people. Welcome!

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2014, 05:05 pm »
Hello mhorwood, welcome to Audiocircle! 

You have some nice gear! I bet it already sounds great. Turning two rooms into one is good, bigger room is better for audio. 

You asked for advice. The best advice I can offer is ask a lot of questions, participate in the discussions, have fun here. You will make friends that can give you advice and suggestions that are very valuable. Find some local audiophiles to share your hobby and learn from them. Use the search function of the forum to find discussions about the following topics which might be of interest:

Speaker positioning
High value upgrade speaker cables
Using Direct Pure mode in receiver with the main speakers only.
Setup receiver's bass management correctly
Plug the speakers reflex ports for better sub blending
Use digital interconnects for your external digital sources like DVD/CD player, game console, etc.
Listen to lots and lots of music.
The most important advice is Never let audio hobby machinations get in the way of enjoying your music!

Welcome!
Rich

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2014, 11:18 am »
Welcome!

You didn't mention a source.  Oppo makes the best disc spinners.  If going the computer route, many prefer Apple mini, and check out Sterephile 2014 recommended components (many affordable DACs rated class A+, A, and B).

From 40+ years in audio:

Educate to music, audio, and gear - attend live (unamplified) music performances (to find out what it really sounds like), visit audio shows, join a local club (or two), audition gear, and read (eventually you'll learn to read between the lines of reviews and which reviewer you sync with)

Try to use spl (sound pressure level) meter/smart phone application with test tones to learn how loud/low you listen - the vast majority over-estimate both

Most underestimate the importance of the room - bigger is better (can do deeper bass, hear less of the room); shape is critical (reducing echo reinforcement); isolation essential (so you can listen when, what, how loud you want)

Experiment with speaker/listener positions - to reduce room effects near-field (like a 6 foot equilateral triangle) is ideal

Bass functions differently than higher frequencies - to achieve flat response you need a "swarm" (search Audio Circle) of subs (not treatments or EQ)

For my ear accessories have little sonic value - expensive interconnects, speaker cables, power cords; footers, platforms, racks; room treatments/EQ (in a "decent" room); power conditioners ( depending on how clean your power is)

What keeps audio alive as a pastime is how few definitive, black and white, answers exist.  It took decades for researchers to find out how good vinyl is (and why).  Digital sources are improving at a rate that most can't keep up (knowledge/money).  Heck there is still a tube versus solid state debate after 50 years.  And don't even start on speakers.  So enjoy the music, the hunt, and the ride.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2014, 10:13 am by JLM »

Ultralight

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2014, 02:27 am »
JLM gives you excellent advice.

Contentment is a great value. 

But if you are interested in upgrading, go and listen to a bunch of setups at the dealers.  Bring your own music that you are familiar with. If you are a musician that plays an acoustic instrument, even better as you can gauge how realistic an audio production is. The challenge of listening to a lot of other systems is that you may well be tempted to upgrade etc.   

I'm not that far ahead of you...and you may actually be further than I and still call yourself a newbie... :icon_lol:

UL

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2014, 02:36 am »
Mhorwood,

Awesome,  and Christmas is almost here.

Go buy yourself/family some new stereo equipment. ..... :thumb:

Enjoy the holidays. .....!