NFL Football '16-17

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: NFL Football '16-17
« Reply #220 on: 9 Jan 2017, 01:11 am »
I hope Brady takes the Super Bowl win and rubs Goodell's nose in it. Receiving a 4 game suspension over allegedly tampering with air pressure in footballs while wife-beaters, drunk drivers, drug abusers and molesters of every stripe face lesser punishment or none at all causes me to root for the Pats this year. Jolly Roger reminds me of another orange jackass silver spoon incompetent.

+1  :thumb:

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #221 on: 9 Jan 2017, 01:22 am »
The Giants got much further than I thought they would when I first started this years thread.  I think they had gotten killed in every preseason game back then.
Congratulations to the Packers, it took them a while to get going.  Shame on the Giants wide receivers for going down to Florida instead of practicing, the idiots.

Next weekend's games should be good ones.

Steve,

The Giants loss today had nothing to do with a few receivers spending their day off in Miami.  Shame on you for suggesting so.

We are in agreement that the Giants' season was a pleasant surprise.

They need to bolster their offensive line and get Eli back on track if they are to improve next year.  It can't all be on the Defense and Beckham.

At this point, I hope the Pack continues to run the table and win it all.

George

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #222 on: 9 Jan 2017, 02:33 am »
I like the Cowboy's chances.  GB will have to stop the run, and I don't think they can. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #223 on: 9 Jan 2017, 10:12 am »
I suppose you're right about their trip and they did better than I thought they would.
I can't imagine playing in those temperatures.
I like the Packers and they got hot right when they needed to.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #224 on: 9 Jan 2017, 11:41 am »
All the division winning home teams won this weekend and all by large margins.  Noting that last year's all the Wildcard teams won, including this year's winners the Packers, Seahawks, and Steelers, with Kansas City being the other winner.  So all of last year's Wildcard teams came back and won their division this year.  I wonder how many times that has happened, if ever.

GO STEELERS!!!

Doublej

« Reply #225 on: 9 Jan 2017, 02:36 pm »
Steve,

The Giants loss today had nothing to do with a few receivers spending their day off in Miami.  Shame on you for suggesting so.

We are in agreement that the Giants' season was a pleasant surprise.

They need to bolster their offensive line and get Eli back on track if they are to improve next year.  It can't all be on the Defense and Beckham.

George

I am not so sure. At one point in the game the commentators made a remark about the balls being dropped by the receivers that went to Miami and the caught balls being by those who stayed home.

Who knows what would have happened if a few of those early drops were instead TDs.

chip

« Reply #226 on: 9 Jan 2017, 03:32 pm »
Anyone think we can have a Super Bowl XLV rematch?

Like mentioned this weekends game were all won by home teams and by a margin.

I believe next weekend games will be a  lot more interesting and closer in score.

charmerci

« Reply #227 on: 9 Jan 2017, 04:33 pm »
Anyone think we can have a Super Bowl XLV rematch?

Meh - I'd rather see KC vs. Atlanta. Something different.

randytsuch

« Reply #228 on: 9 Jan 2017, 07:16 pm »
Next weekend HAS to be better, no real exciting games this weekend.

Dallas GB should be good.  GB's secondary is banged up, but they have Rogers.  Overall, Dallas is the better team, but if you get hot at the right time ...

Think all the games could be close, except NE.  Don't give Houston much of a chance in NE.

twitch54

« Reply #229 on: 9 Jan 2017, 08:14 pm »
It can't all be on the Defense and Beckham.

Beckman certainly had the 'big choke' yesterday !

George

ditto ...........

twitch54

« Reply #230 on: 9 Jan 2017, 08:15 pm »
Meh - I'd rather see KC vs. Atlanta. Something different.

agreed .............

cujobob

« Reply #231 on: 9 Jan 2017, 08:56 pm »
I keep getting sucked into football each year only to see Detroit deal with ridiculous calls. Apparently a ball 4 feet from a fast WR going full speed is uncatchable even though he was being held back... then Russell Wilson with an obvious block to the back on a key play...not catching any of the holds or shoves of the Seattle OL, and of course...the TD facemask. There is no way someone can convince me that the official can see a WR held by a defender and not call a flag because a ball is just out of his reach. Does he not understand the rules? You cannot be that biased toward one team in a playoff game. I particularly enjoyed seeing an immediate whistle when a defender got near Wilson but they allowed Stafford to be picked up by his shoulders and feet by two defenders for a second before blowing the whistle.

Just needed to vent. I know it's all 'entertainment' and not an actual sport, but it's all we got.

fredgarvin

« Reply #232 on: 9 Jan 2017, 09:36 pm »
I keep getting sucked into football each year only to see Detroit deal with ridiculous calls. Apparently a ball 4 feet from a fast WR going full speed is uncatchable even though he was being held back... then Russell Wilson with an obvious block to the back on a key play...not catching any of the holds or shoves of the Seattle OL, and of course...the TD facemask. There is no way someone can convince me that the official can see a WR held by a defender and not call a flag because a ball is just out of his reach. Does he not understand the rules? You cannot be that biased toward one team in a playoff game. I particularly enjoyed seeing an immediate whistle when a defender got near Wilson but they allowed Stafford to be picked up by his shoulders and feet by two defenders for a second before blowing the whistle.

Just needed to vent. I know it's all 'entertainment' and not an actual sport, but it's all we got.

Both QB's were sacked three times.

Detroit- 7 penalties. Seattle- 6 penalties

Not much disparity there.

Detroit 3rd down efficiency 18%‘  Seattle- 56%

Net yards- Detroit 231.  Seattle 387

Detroit 4th downs-0-2  0%   Seattle 2 for 2 100%

Time of possession. Detroit- 23:21   Seattle- 36:39

That's why you lost 26-06.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #233 on: 9 Jan 2017, 11:28 pm »
Not a fan of either team, and the better team won, but to my eye test, there was lots of grabbing by the Seattle db that went uncalled (surprise, surprise).  Just because flags were about equal doesn't mean the officiating was equitable. 

finsup

« Reply #234 on: 10 Jan 2017, 01:09 am »
Some really bad non-calls but if Detroit had not gone 0 for 5 in their last 5 games, I'd feel badly for them.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #235 on: 12 Jan 2017, 10:14 am »
The Los Angeles Chargers?

charmerci

« Reply #236 on: 12 Jan 2017, 10:29 am »
The Los Angeles Chargers?

Anaheim Chargers?

Crazy, ain't it? No team for decades after losing a team twice and suddenly LA might have two mediocre/bad teams. How long before they move out again?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #237 on: 12 Jan 2017, 02:20 pm »
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking, where's the fan base.  There's enough population, witness basketball and baseball, but LA was never a rabid football town.  Maybe the new mega stadium will bring them in.  A sad day for all San Diego fans.  I lived there in the fifties and sixties as a kid and was a fan of the Chargers and the Rams (two different leagues then, no conflict), so I was glad to see the Rams go back, however I view it as a tragedy that the Chargers are leaving San Diego.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #238 on: 12 Jan 2017, 02:38 pm »
Tis a fool's errand to look anywhere outside the NFL's boundless greed for explanations about their behavior.

My question is: "Who will buy tickets and memorabilia from these sharks once the next great taking occurs?" I haven't attended a game in many years but my read is that contact sports depend heavily on working class support. Workers are unlikely to see their expendable income increase as time passes, given the signs being posted everywhere.

Maybe we will use the new stadiums for public executions on reality TV.

randytsuch

« Reply #239 on: 12 Jan 2017, 04:10 pm »
LA won't support bad teams, can't see Chargers drawing well.

But San Diego voted against paying for a new stadium, or this would not be happening.