BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

Yitshak

Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1080 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:05 pm »
Hello

Tried to install BDA 2 on my other system running Windows 10,
With no success.

I tried using both the driver key provided with the BDA-2 and the driver from the website (both 1.61 ver.)

It fails with "Preinstallation failed! Please run setup again. If you are asked to confirm the installation of software, please confirm."

I have tried the installation numerous times, as well as in safe mode but the same error appears.

* The user running the OS is an administrator.

I am assuming this is an issue with the OS's compatibility. With that said, is there another driver version more suited for this OS? Please assist.

Thanks in advance,
Yitshak

srb

« Reply #1081 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:18 pm »
Have you tried to install in Compatibility Mode?

Right-click on Setup.exe

Properties > Compatibility tab > Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7

Steve

Yitshak

« Reply #1082 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:25 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick answer.

Unfortunately I have already tried compatibility mode for Windows 7/8 but without success.

Any thoughts?

Yitshak

srb

« Reply #1083 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:30 pm »
Bryston Support - Windows 10 USB Drivers
http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=235

Yitshak

« Reply #1084 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:40 pm »
Thanks for the help!

I will try asking there.

Yitshak

« Reply #1085 on: 24 Feb 2016, 10:40 pm »
Thanks again Steve
For pointing me.

The answer was there.

Download the BDA3 driver and some how it
Create in JRiver audio options both BDA2 and BDA3
to choose from.

All is fine.

Yitshak

appdevman

« Reply #1086 on: 1 Mar 2016, 05:48 am »
Just ordered my BDA-3 from AA.   :thumb:

My home theater already has:
SP3
14BSST2
6BSST2

I'm getting the BDA-3 to be the heartbeat of a 2-channel listening room.

I can't wait to add more transparency and perfection, in a different room  :green:

Thanks for making such fine products!

Cheers

schmidtmike76

« Reply #1087 on: 4 Apr 2016, 10:54 am »
is there any difference going from bnc to coax vs rca to rca that anyone has noticed for sound quality.  My transport only has a coax out.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1088 on: 4 Apr 2016, 01:57 pm »
is there any difference going from bnc to coax vs rca to rca that anyone has noticed for sound quality.  My transport only has a coax out.

Hi!

I had my BDA-2 special ordered with RCA coax inputs instead of BNC. After much thought and Research I came to the conclusion difference would be marginal at best. There is hardly any difference between USB and AES and these are completely different interfaces so I don't see how RCA and BNC could sound any differently. BDA-2 is equipped with impedance-matching Devices on all it's SPDIF inputs to compensate for the variances in cables used.

I wouldn't give this a second thought.

Cheers!
Antun

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1089 on: 4 Apr 2016, 03:03 pm »

I have BDA-1, and I cannot hear a consistent diff between BNC and SPDIF. I still use BNC and AES into it, though. My AES seems to give a slightly better sense of "ease" and a fuller sound than SPDIF. But it could just be me.  :scratch:

R. Daneel

« Reply #1090 on: 4 Apr 2016, 05:45 pm »
I have BDA-1, and I cannot hear a consistent diff between BNC and SPDIF. I still use BNC and AES into it, though. My AES seems to give a slightly better sense of "ease" and a fuller sound than SPDIF. But it could just be me.  :scratch:

I agree. The differences might lie in the voltage since AES is a 3.3 V connection and S/PDIF is a 0.5 V connection. But even on the best of days, they are hardly of any relevance and a matter for an academic debate.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #1091 on: 4 Apr 2016, 07:28 pm »
Thank you guys greatly appreciated. 

jtinto

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #1092 on: 6 Apr 2016, 07:03 pm »
I'm still trying to decide between buying a used BDA-1 or a new BDA-2.
Anyone thinking about selling their BDA?

Funny, I just remembered my old post in this topic.
I just joined the BDA-3 club and still enjoying my Bryston gear!

werd

« Reply #1093 on: 6 Apr 2016, 07:12 pm »
Hi!

I had my BDA-2 special ordered with RCA coax inputs instead of BNC. After much thought and Research I came to the conclusion difference would be marginal at best. There is hardly any difference between USB and AES and these are completely different interfaces so I don't see how RCA and BNC could sound any differently. BDA-2 is equipped with impedance-matching Devices on all it's SPDIF inputs to compensate for the variances in cables used.

I wouldn't give this a second thought.

Cheers!
Antun

:o why would you do that? You could have easily picked up an adaptor into BNC.

srb

« Reply #1094 on: 6 Apr 2016, 08:16 pm »
:o why would you do that? You could have easily picked up an adaptor into BNC.

Yes, BNC has a very positive bayonet lock so the compact adapter snaps on securely and adds minimal length.  I would think it could slightly degrade a resale price not to mention the possible future acquisition of a source with a BNC output which would no longer have the option of a true 75 ohm connection.

Steve

Gerard

« Reply #1095 on: 15 Apr 2016, 09:05 pm »
A question about connecting my BDP-2/BDA-2 combo to a preamplifier. What is the preferred connection between BDA2- Constellation PreAmp1: balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA)? Is the BDA-2 a true balanced design or is a converter involved when using the XLR output of the BDA-2.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards, Gerard

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1096 on: 15 Apr 2016, 09:20 pm »
A question about connecting my BDP-2/BDA-2 combo to a preamplifier. What is the preferred connection between BDA2- Constellation PreAmp1: balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA)? Is the BDA-2 a true balanced design or is a converter involved when using the XLR output of the BDA-2.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards, Gerard

Hi Gerard

All Bryston balanced XLR connections are a true fully balanced differential circuit.

james

Gerard

« Reply #1097 on: 15 Apr 2016, 09:26 pm »
Thanks James for your quick reply! The balanced connect is then the preferred one!
Regards, Gerard

The Rang

« Reply #1098 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:34 am »
I'm sure this will seem like a dumb question to many but,

What is the point of jriver and these other programs, what is their purpose?
If I'm using physical media exclusively and feeding the output of my transport into the DAC, are these programs necessary (for me)?

audio.bill

« Reply #1099 on: 16 Apr 2016, 01:41 am »
The Rang - No dumb questions here as far as I'm concerned! JRiver and other similar software is for playing back digital files on a PC. Since you're using physical media and feeding your player's digital output to your DAC no such PC software is needed. Hope that this answers your question, good listening!