Open Baffle GR Research Subs For Sale

faxer

Open Baffle GR Research Subs For Sale
« on: 6 May 2015, 12:34 pm »
If anyone needs to buy a set of servo subs we are offering them in either 2,3, or 6 per side configurations.
They can be painted any color to match your speakers, veneered or they can have a brushed aluminum finish (see Wilson Art's website for choices).
They can be auditioned in Massapequa NY. 

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
Re: Open Baffle GR Research Subs For Sale
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2015, 02:40 pm »
Good to see you here!

The 6 x 12" sub towers will be headed your way next week.

Best,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2015, 03:14 pm »
For those who've not seem them in my flat pack thread, this is how they look before finishing.

Ruben

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2015, 03:16 pm »
I wonder where the idea of a 6x12" H-Frame servo sub came from.   :thumb:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2015, 03:25 pm »
Post not relevant to the OP's thread. Deleted.

However, those 6 x 12" towers as well as the modular H-frame system they employ were conceptualized, designed and executed by yours truly. :wink:
Of course, the height, width and depth of each cavity were built adhering to Danny's recommended specifications.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2015, 09:05 pm by Outofthewoods »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2015, 03:34 pm »
« Last Edit: 6 May 2015, 05:56 pm by HAL »

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2015, 09:23 pm »

However, those 6 x 12" towers as well as the modular H-frame system they employ were conceptualized, designed and executed by yours truly. :wink:
Of course, the height, width and depth of each cavity were built adhering to Danny's recommended specifications.

Here's another one that may or may not be relevant, but I'm planning my next system upgrade. I just got Dennis Murphy's Affordable Accuracy Monitors (arriving Friday). I'd like to add open baffle subs, but my listening room (also my kitchen, office, practice room..) is small, but my budget is probably smaller. I think the ideal sub system would be 2x8"/side, but I'm planning to start with one 8". I'm so happy with the bass on my self-modded Pioneer's (Danny's or Frank VA's) simple DIY vifa/cap upgrade that I'm thinking that Dennis's mods should be just fine, but I do like the occasional slam (doubt I'm going to get kicked out over volume level, haven't yet) from my HSU STF2.

Does the single 8" for starters sound like a good SUBstitute (sorry, can't help it) for the HSU? I'm just guessing that it would shame the HSU (which I love)  and send it off whimpering into a corner (it's under my desk now).

Any thoughts or comments?

rak313

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2015, 10:15 pm »

Does the single 8" for starters sound like a good SUBstitute (sorry, can't help it) for the HSU? I'm just guessing that it would shame the HSU (which I love)  and send it off whimpering into a corner (it's under my desk now).

Any thoughts or comments?

You are talking single 8" OB - right?  I have the same question.  How good - (or loud) will a single 8" OB per side be good for?

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2015, 10:32 pm »
You are talking single 8" OB - right?  I have the same question.  How good - (or loud) will a single 8" OB per side be good for?

From everything I've read in this thread and others in the GR Research circle, one 8", while obviously not giving you the slam and extended lows of any of the multiple configurations, would be a real eye opener. Just speculating, but I think it would be an improvement over my HSU and a good starting point for building a multi-sub configuration. Even if it's NO improvement or a modest improvement (both of which I doubt), it's modular design concept is a strong enough selling point.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2015, 10:32 pm »
if I recall correctly, the OB 8" driver is   only available in a 16 ohm version so you need to do them in pairs or trilples

jay

nickd

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2015, 10:45 pm »
DL,
the single 8" servo woofer won't shame the HSU. GR servo subs are faster and will sound tighter and have more attack. But, the HSU woofers are amazing for the money. They play loud and low. It's more of an apples to oranges comparison. For music, I would take a single Servo 8 any day, for movies or head banging :rock: the HSU might be the budget champ. That's just my opinion. I have owned HSU 12" woofers and GR 12" OB subs among many others (PSB, REL, PBN, Audio Pro)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2015, 10:55 pm »
I wonder where the idea of a 6x12" H-Frame servo sub came from.   :thumb:
Clearly from the mind of some demented bassaholic.  I've heard lots of variations of the GR servo sub, but a stack of six???  Crazy.... I like it.  :drums:

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2015, 11:27 pm »
DL,
the single 8" servo woofer won't shame the HSU. GR servo subs are faster and will sound tighter and have more attack. But, the HSU woofers are amazing for the money. They play loud and low. It's more of an apples to oranges comparison. For music, I would take a single Servo 8 any day, for movies or head banging :rock: the HSU might be the budget champ. That's just my opinion. I have owned HSU 12" woofers and GR 12" OB subs among many others (PSB, REL, PBN, Audio Pro)

So the HSU STF2 is worth keeping for now until I can afford the GR dual 8s? Would that necessarily need to be 2x8" per side? I may be confusing the LGKs and bookshelf speakers with a lower bottom end from some of the information I've gleaned from my readings here. And I guess if I had the GR 2x8 per side I could use the HSU for HT slam. And given that I've fired up the HSU for more low end than I'm getting from the DIY Pioneer modded spkrs and heard no change, apparently there's less  low frequency material than I realized.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2015, 11:34 pm »
Clearly from the mind of some demented bassaholic.  I've heard lots of variations of the GR servo sub, but a stack of six???  Crazy.... I like it.  :drums:

Just the audio Mad Scientist at work!   :D

rak313

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2015, 11:59 pm »
if I recall correctly, the OB 8" driver is   only available in a 16 ohm version so you need to do them in pairs or trilples

jay

The amp will drive it, just at a (6dB) lower level (vs 2 drivers). Now is that going to be a deal breaker?  It seams to me it depends on how loud you want to play and how big your room is.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2015, 12:59 am »
dlParker,

Looks like you're getting the info you need to make the right decision for your system and budget.

Just to throw another option out there...I can design you sealed 8" enclosures with the capability of converting into modular H-frames. When you're ready to add another 8" per side you could simply convert the sealed subs into OB subs and add 2 new H-frame modules/subs.  You'd get the speed of the servo controlled system and more "slam" running a single pair off of one amp in a sealed configuration.

Best,

Ruben

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2015, 01:34 am »
dlParker,

Looks like you're getting the info you need to make the right decision for your system and budget.

Just to throw another option out there...I can design you sealed 8" enclosures with the capability of converting into modular H-frames. When you're ready to add another 8" per side you could simply convert the sealed subs into OB subs and add 2 new H-frame modules/subs.  You'd get the speed of the servo controlled system and more "slam" running a single pair off of one amp in a sealed configuration.

Best,

Ruben
Thanks, Ruben! I typically start researching the boards/circles before I start formulating a rudimentary plan, and sometimes it might take me a year or more before I'm able to progress to the ordering stage. For now I'm eager to find out how Dennis Murphy's pioneer mods match with my existing HSU STF2.

Captainhemo

« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2015, 01:47 am »
The amp will drive it, just at a (6dB) lower level (vs 2 drivers). Now is that going to be a deal breaker?  It seams to me it depends on how loud you want to play and how big your room is.

It amy drive a single  OB 8" but you really aren't going to get  a  lot of output from a single OB 8. I'd think the minimum  you'd want to go is pairs,  I think Danny  recenntly just   said the the  Wedgies required  3 8's per side  and they are   94 db  +/-

dlParker,

Best,

Ruben

Aren't the OB drives spec'd differentlly Ruben ?

jay

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2015, 01:49 am »
Thanks, Ruben! I typically start researching the boards/circles before I start formulating a rudimentary plan, and sometimes it might take me a year or more before I'm able to progress to the ordering stage. For now I'm eager to find out how Dennis Murphy's pioneer mods match with my existing HSU STF2.

Gotcha!

I'm sure the Dennis Murphy modded Pioneers and HSU combo will sound good together.  :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2015, 01:57 am »
Aren't the OB drives spec'd differentlly Ruben ?

Hi Jay,

Nope. You can run the SW-8-16FR sealed in .7 cubic feet of air space.

Ruben