New tool!

Folsom

Re: New tool!
« Reply #40 on: 6 May 2015, 02:02 am »
This thing goes everywhere with me. I use it for work constantly; even when we don't think we'll need one but I bring it anyways!

JohnR

« Reply #41 on: 6 May 2015, 03:59 am »
Where did you find that tool?

Hi Ed, my local high-end tool store here in Sydney AU. Not sure if you get Protool there? I know you get Festool (thanks Salis!), their version might be available.

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 6 May 2015, 06:35 am »
Hi Ed, my local high-end tool store here in Sydney AU. Not sure if you get Protool there? I know you get Festool (thanks Salis!), their version might be available.

They don't sell the big 18 here yet for Festool, have to order from Europe. You can get the non-hammer T18 only. The C18 also not... The only Protool's brand stuff sold here is by Timberwolf Tools, timber framing stuff. I like to drool looking at Mafell stuff on their site.

JohnR

« Reply #43 on: 6 May 2015, 02:45 pm »
Have Festool got themselves into a state where they have two different (incompatible) 18V batteries? I can't tell from the pics. Surely not, but... I'm somewhat curious about the history of Protool, I've assumed they were a separate company bought by Festool but maybe not. The "big 18" drills were obviously not designed by anyone on the same planet as whoever designed the C18/CXS/etc. Nothing wrong with the latter I'm sure (altho I've never used myself).

Anyway I've decided to get the right angle head for my PDC 18, I'll try to remember to ask about the batteries when I'm there tomorrow.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #44 on: 6 May 2015, 04:25 pm »
I've thought about buying a cordless impact, but considering the impacts I already have,
it's hard to justify the expenditure in the name of "losing a cord" (or hose in my case).

1/4" drive, 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #45 on: 6 May 2015, 04:30 pm »
Uh, is the dealership running short of a few air tools, Bob?

Inquiring minds want to know….

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 6 May 2015, 04:46 pm »
Uhm..."no" .....  :duh:

The Snap-On truck was my "crack dealer" for far too many years.
"Impacts" are not shop tools in any shop I've ever heard of. Those are the techs personal tools without exception.

Folsom

« Reply #47 on: 6 May 2015, 11:48 pm »
Have Festool got themselves into a state where they have two different (incompatible) 18V batteries? I can't tell from the pics. Surely not, but... I'm somewhat curious about the history of Protool, I've assumed they were a separate company bought by Festool but maybe not. The "big 18" drills were obviously not designed by anyone on the same planet as whoever designed the C18/CXS/etc. Nothing wrong with the latter I'm sure (altho I've never used myself).

Anyway I've decided to get the right angle head for my PDC 18, I'll try to remember to ask about the batteries when I'm there tomorrow.

I'm sure they're compatible. They appear to be identical on the top. I'd never consider a PDC for 90-99% of the work I do. The CXS is more than powerful enough and is so light and easy to use! The 90* attachment gets used, a lot. It's my drill, driver, and 90* device. When it comes to auging out big holes I prefer AC drills, and with decking I prefer impacts short of AC. Some day I'll get a nice 18v/15v Festool I'm sure. The eccentric chuck is pretty damn cool!

Protool is the company making all of them I'm sure. They make several other things Festool has taken over. They were a separate company before, fairly sure.

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 12 May 2015, 09:22 am »
Update: I did ask, and I was wrong/confused, Festool do only have one 18V battery system. I think my confusion may have stemmed from before Festool took over the PDC/DRC 18 and only had 15V drill/drivers, which won't take the 18V batteries.

BISL: well it looks like you're set! I have no idea what air tools are like to use. I need the cordless impact up on the roof.

JohnR

« Reply #49 on: 20 May 2015, 02:57 pm »
Time for some more new tools.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 20 May 2015, 03:09 pm »
Neat! That little reciprocating saw looks handy.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 8 Jun 2015, 01:52 pm »
How about some manly man tool talk. Post your new tool here.
Ok John, here's a new one I just got.

Ran across a Jet JPS-10TS for $575 the other day. Seemed like a pretty good deal, as the new ones with cast iron wings are about $1400.
The guy had it five years and said he used it a handful of times the first year and put it in storage for the past four years.

The top was a bit rusted, so I used about 15 sheets of 120 grit on the orbital sander, then about 15 sheets of 320 grit. Then, I followed up with a scotch-brite pad on the orbital sander with WD-40 as the lube.
It's now slick as glass.

I was going to tune it up, but it's already true and square.
I've got the plywood on the right where I'm going to veneer a piece of steel sheet to it and use it for a router table.

I'm trying to figure out how to modify the back side of the fence as the fence for the router section.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #52 on: 8 Jun 2015, 01:55 pm »
How, when I saw the subject line, that I KNEW it had to be from BISL?     :shake:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 8 Jun 2015, 01:57 pm »
But in fact it was John that started it.  :wink:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #54 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:00 pm »
No, BISL, today's post.   :nono:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:12 pm »
Ahh gotcha.
One of these days I'll stop buying tools.  :wink:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #56 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:15 pm »
Let us know, as your audio gear will be up for sale about that time...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:18 pm »
 :lol:
Actually, I need to build more stuff for people in order to buy more tools.  :icon_twisted:

JohnR

« Reply #58 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:30 pm »
Ok John, here's a new one I just got.

Ran across a Jet JPS-10TS for $575 the other day. Seemed like a pretty good deal, as the new ones with cast iron wings are about $1400.
The guy had it five years and said he used it a handful of times the first year and put it in storage for the past four years.

Nice find! Those are $2000 here...!

Your shop seems to be getting full, you might need to build a new one  :green:

Neat! That little reciprocating saw looks handy.

It is! Cut some roof battens today (in situ, some needed repair/replacement), a lot easier with this than a hand saw (my old method) :duh:

bearman2

« Reply #59 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:34 pm »
BISL, I like your OB speakers in your shop. :)