ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

HumanMedia

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1200 on: 3 Jun 2009, 06:13 am »
Im so frustrated at losing a series of Ebay auctions for a single Philips Metal base GZ34.
Here in Australia the auctions always seem to end in the middle of the night for me.

Can anyone point me in the direction for an online store that would sell me one for a reasonable price?
Or if someone here is selling a spare, consider this fellow Modwright owner before Ebay?

Personal message me if anyone can help.

Philistine

« Reply #1201 on: 3 Jun 2009, 12:02 pm »
Im so frustrated at losing a series of Ebay auctions for a single Philips Metal base GZ34.
Here in Australia the auctions always seem to end in the middle of the night for me.

Can anyone point me in the direction for an online store that would sell me one for a reasonable price?
Or if someone here is selling a spare, consider this fellow Modwright owner before Ebay?

JG2 has one for sale:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68504.0

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1202 on: 3 Jun 2009, 01:15 pm »

I have one I can make available, shoot me a PM.

George

HumanMedia

« Reply #1203 on: 3 Jun 2009, 01:23 pm »
Im all sorted with a GZ34

Thank all you kind people for helping me out, and thanks for your tube "R&D" in this thread.

Actually maybe all the info here needs to be distilled into an FAQ?

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1204 on: 3 Jun 2009, 03:10 pm »

Actually maybe all the info here needs to be distilled into an FAQ?

Could be a good idea in some form, given that the thread is currently 60 pages. But a whole lot of what this thread is about is rather subjective observations based on manipulating the sound at the output stage via tube selection.  It seems also that opinions, in this regard, can be in flux as folks try different combinations, or go back to ones they've enjoyed previously.  I do wish there were some kind of go-to table that summed up these observations rather than having to navigate through 60 pages of posts.  Still, there are certainly FAQ's that could be listed. I've helped a few friends with their purchase and considerations of the MWTP and basically was asked many of the same questions by each already well-informed audiophile friend. Here's a few suggested topics for that list based on questions I've answered and what I've observed here, should it ever be implemented...

Why roll tubes in the MW Transporter - what can be achieved by this?

What are the functions of the two types of tubes used in the MW output stage (Rectifier and Signal Tubes)? Is one more important than the other and or does each affect specific aspects of sound?

How long do tubes last in the MW TP? 

What is a 'Hypermod'?

Which rectifier tubes can I use in my MW TP?

What is an 'Octal Adapter'?  Who makes them (where can I buy them)? Why use octal tubes in the 6SN7 family?  What about the 7N7 tubes (identical to the 6SN7?

What should I expect to pay for the various tube options?  Are there recommended resources for these tubes. 

What is a High Wycombe (HW) tube?

What does EML stand for and what is this tube?

Why are 6SN7's so expensive? 

Are expensive NOS options superior to currrent production tubes in the MWTP? Is this investment warranted - does it make a significant difference?

That's what I can come up with off the top of my head.  Perhaps Dan can work something up to post either here or on his own server/site.  It certainly can be a very rewarding aspect of MWTP ownership and, in answer to the last question on the list; results can be quite profound when comparing different options.

owenmd

« Reply #1205 on: 4 Jun 2009, 08:47 pm »
Hi guys,

I just placed an add for tubes that some of you may have an interest in:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68612.0

Please make comments on the add post.... not here.   :nono:  :)

Many thanks,

Mark

Rasta

« Reply #1206 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:19 am »
Greetings...

I will go into detail later, but for now I just wanted to say that the EML mesh plate I threw in the MWTP made a huge difference.  The most valued qualities of my system have been restored with this tube.  Plus, all the additional benefits of the MWTP.

Philistine

« Reply #1207 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:34 pm »
Greetings...

I will go into detail later, but for now I just wanted to say that the EML mesh plate I threw in the MWTP made a huge difference.  The most valued qualities of my system have been restored with this tube.  Plus, all the additional benefits of the MWTP.

That's great Rasta - the EML is a wonderful tube.
Look forward to your follow up comments.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1208 on: 7 Jun 2009, 12:25 pm »
Greetings...

Wow, I tried the EML briefly a few weeks ago for the first time and rockets didn't go off and the heavens didn't move - in fact, I think I still might prefer the 1970's BEL GZ34 (oh my god, did he really say that?)!   :o :o :o

I lent my EML tube to Ted so he could be a mad scientist for a few weeks, so it will be a little bit before I try the EML again.  However, I am pretty sure that in my system, the EML isn't going to trounce or be an obvious choice over my existing favorite.

As always, YMMV.

George

Rasta

« Reply #1209 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:59 am »
Ya, I guess I should put my enthusiasm in context.  I was previously listening to the rectifier tube supplied by Dan.  I believe it was an RCA and probably not the best of show.  So, I still had the stock driver tubes in and I replaced just the rectifier tube with the EML.

Really, what I love about my system (Shindo amp / Devore speakers) is the tonal quality.  The transparency and open, lively sound has always been there, but when I swapped the MWTP for my Bolder SB3/tube dac source, the tonal quality suffered just a bit.  I guess I'm very sensitive to tone and timbre. 

So, I was very excited to get it back with the EML.

Also, I wanted to thank everyone here for sharing their findings!  Tube Warriors  :)

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1210 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:21 am »

Wow, I tried the EML briefly a few weeks ago for the first time and rockets didn't go off and the heavens didn't move - in fact, I think I still might prefer the 1970's BEL GZ34 (oh my god, did he really say that?)!   :o :o :o

As always, YMMV.

George

Interesting....In my system I've tried a few different Mullard GZ34's and none of them grabbed me in any way whatsoever.  That said, they've been stellar performers in my preamp, and in previous amps.  I found the GZ34's I tried in the TP to lack dynamic snap'n'slam (hey, did I just coin some new audiophile verbiage?).  They just seemed a bit flat to me. This surprised me since they performed so well in other components.  Isn't the 70's BEL just a Phillips/Mullard tube made in India from English parts?  Have you compared this to an English-made Mullard?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1211 on: 9 Jun 2009, 01:27 am »

As always, YMMV.

George

Interesting....In my system I've tried a few different Mullard GZ34's and none of them grabbed me in any way whatsoever.  That said, they've been stellar performers in my preamp, and in previous amps.  I found the GZ34's I tried in the TP to lack dynamic snap'n'slam (hey, did I just coin some new audiophile verbiage?).  They just seemed a bit flat to me. This surprised me since they performed so well in other components.  Isn't the 70's BEL just a Phillips/Mullard tube made in India from English parts?  Have you compared this to an English-made Mullard?

Marco,

I have compared the BEL to the 1950's Phillips Miniwatt MB GZ34 and to my ears, the BEL doesn't have the mid-bass hump and is more balanced across the entire spectrum.  All of this without giving up the really great mid-range presence and body that the MB is known for.

George

Philistine

« Reply #1212 on: 9 Jun 2009, 03:18 am »

As always, YMMV.

George

Marco,
If you want to try one of these Mark has one for sale:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68612.0
Phil

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1213 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:32 am »

Marco,
If you want to try one of these Mark has one for sale:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68612.0
Phil

Not really, but thanks, Phil.  I'll have to go back and listen to a few of my own GZ34's, but I have to say I heard absolutely nothing that would make me want to pursue that avenue any further.  I will revisit it, but I'd have a hard time believing that anything in that tube-type would work well with my system and expectations.  It might be worth a go in my preamp, but I have plenty of good Blackburn 5AR4's to do that work.  I'm curious to try the EML in there to hear what kind of differences it makes. 

George - When you listened to the EML, how many hours did you give it before giving up?  Not that it really matters as I felt it sounded pretty astounding right away.  What was lacking in the EML for you, in your system?  I've not tried the metal based Phillips Minwatt, just brown and black based Mullards and relabled Mullards.  Some had already been broken in, and some were NOS. I've also tried GE copper plates (a sleeper favorite in my SET amps).  I just could not get the punch I got from even the RCA 5u4G that came with the TP.  Both 5U4's and GZ37's sounded better in my system, generally, than any 5AR4/gz34 tube I tried.   I will go back and try out the 5AR4's I have since I was NOT using 6SN7's at the time (are you, George?).  This could change a whole lot....or nothing at all.  All of the listening I did with 5AR4's were with RCA 6CG7 cleartops.  As you said, YMMV.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1214 on: 9 Jun 2009, 10:30 am »

George - When you listened to the EML, how many hours did you give it before giving up?  Not that it really matters as I felt it sounded pretty astounding right away.  What was lacking in the EML for you, in your system?  I've not tried the metal based Phillips Minwatt, just brown and black based Mullards and relabled Mullards.  Some had already been broken in, and some were NOS. I've also tried GE copper plates (a sleeper favorite in my SET amps).  I just could not get the punch I got from even the RCA 5u4G that came with the TP.  Both 5U4's and GZ37's sounded better in my system, generally, than any 5AR4/gz34 tube I tried.   I will go back and try out the 5AR4's I have since I was NOT using 6SN7's at the time (are you, George?).  This could change a whole lot....or nothing at all.  All of the listening I did with 5AR4's were with RCA 6CG7 cleartops.  As you said, YMMV.

The EML tube is fully broken in and I am using Tung Sol Round Plate 6SN7's.

I will post more thoughts after I get the EML tube back in the next few weeks and can listen more. 

George

Philistine

« Reply #1215 on: 9 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm »
I used to supply a European based spark plug manufacturer with operations in Germany and India, also Bangalore.  It was interesting that the Bangalore plugs had a superior test performance than the German made plugs but European regs required 'Made In India' to be stamped on the packaging.  This was the kiss of death as most consumers avoided buying them, and they had to be sold at a discount.  I would hazard a guess that the BEL tubes made in the 70's are also very well made, and potentially superior than the same tubes made in Europe.  At $60 the BEL is a good price.

Tubes produced today have considerable manufacturing advantages than those produced in the last century: cleaner metallurgy, superior glass technology, better design and improved vacuum application/sealing. 

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1216 on: 9 Jun 2009, 04:19 pm »

The EML tube is fully broken in and I am using Tung Sol Round Plate 6SN7's.

I will post more thoughts after I get the EML tube back in the next few weeks and can listen more. 

George

Look forward to hearing what you think, George.  All bets are off as far as comparing your impressions with my own: I was exclusively using 6cG7 cleartops at the time and never tried the GZ34's with 6SN7's as you have.  I'll give it a try and post my own impressions.  Thanks for the input.

owenmd

« Reply #1217 on: 9 Jun 2009, 06:25 pm »
Hi guys.... I said I would make a few comments on 7N7's.

I ordered 3 pairs from Vintage tube services:

Philco tall bottles
Sylvania red/green tops
RCA green dots

All of them are NOS mid 40's to early 50's tubes I am led to believe, costing $60-$70 for a matched and tested pair.  I also had a pair of non-identifiable 7N7's on loan from Phil which are probably some well used Sylvania's..... I believe that "most" of the 7N7's were re-branded Sylvania's...?  I used the Taiwanese adapters again borrowed from Phil.... 7N7 to 6cg7 type which I believe are currently still out of stock?  If someone knows another source for these, please let me know.  I use the EML rectifier.

I compared the 7N7's to a nice pair of twice the cost NOS green dot Sylvania 6SN7's.... I don't have a pair of TS round plates for comparison.

The Philco's were the first I tried and they sounded beautiful compared to the 6SN7's.... more detail, better imaging with very specific image placement and loads of bass and general body... image density.  A very sweet sounding tube.

The Sylvania's were next and actually sounded VERY similar to the Philco's but with an even slightly sweeter mid-range.  The rest of the spectrum was good, but didn't have that tiny extra little bit of magic the Philco's injected.... couldn't put my finger on it and would have been very pleased with them if I hadn't heard the Philco's first.

The RCA's sounded a little different.... bigger soundstage and a lighter, airyer presentation.  More detail than the previous tubes, but not so much weight, although very tight and precise bass.  Although there's a little more detail than the Philco's, the image placement isn't quite so specific.

All in all, I'm keeping the RCA's and the Philco tall bottles as they are different enough to be useful in different situations/music/systems.  The Philco's are great for rock and the RCA's good for acoustic and classical etc.

So.... my experience with the 7N7 tube, including Phil's unidentified 7N7's, is I prefer it to the good quality 6SN7 I had in comparison.... still don't know how they compare to the TS roundplates.  Andy at tube services believed the average 7N7 "may" sound better than the average 6SN7 because of better vacuum and a more direct pin connection...?  If the "Holy Grail" Tungsol roundplates are unavailable for whatever reason, the 7N7 may be a good budget substitute for some...?

Cheers,

Mark

Wayne1

« Reply #1218 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:49 pm »
FWIW, I have just ordered in some Loctal sockets to experiment with adapters. They can be built from a 9 pin male or an octal male.

I should be able to have a couple of prototypes ready in a week or two.

owenmd, I can send you a pair to evaluate is you will PM me your address.

There is also a pair of Bybee Octal adapters undergoing evaluation by one of the members of this board.

JG2

« Reply #1219 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:59 pm »
Here is a pair of 7N7's on E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220418937087

I have not tried this variant.