Cheap vinyl cleaning accessory

krustykat

Cheap vinyl cleaning accessory
« on: 22 Jul 2014, 06:34 pm »
I just recently discovered that my UV pet urine detecting light has a far more enjoyable use than looking for dried up puddles.  When you shine it on a record, it shows EVERY piece of dust, most of which you cannot see in ordinary light.  I thought my record cleaning process was good until I started using this.  In an effort to remove every piece of dust that I was now seeing, I had to change my cleaning procedure.  Now after the initial cleaning pass, I always do a R/O water rinse and Zerostat.  The light that I am using is called "Simple Solution Spot Spotter HD".  It can be picked up from Amazon for $15 with prime shipping. Trust me, you will be amazed when you try this.

Hear Clifford Brown

Re: Cheap vinyl cleaning accessory
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:37 pm »
I'm not sure I want to see that dust or not.  I'm already OCD enough about cleaning records.  But are you talking about the dust removal process after the record has been placed on the platter to play?  Because I think any fluid cleaning methodology used with a record cleaning machine like a VPI would remove all dust as well as much more stubborn grime.

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2014, 10:09 pm »
Love to see a photo if your camera will catch all the UV...

krustykat

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2014, 12:27 am »
Here's a video https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vb09teiccr2n9c/IMG_0231.mov that shows the difference.  Although the video quality is bad, you can see how the light makes the dust show up as white spots.  By checking each step of your cleaning process with this light, you can see if you have a problem and take the appropriate steps to fix it.  I use a vpi 16.5 cleaner with Mobile Fidelity Plus enzyme cleaner as my wash and then rinse with R/O water, followed by a zerostat antistatic treatment.   I insure my cleaning, rinse and and wand brushes are clean and dust free by brushing them with a toothbrush after each use.   That seems to keep the dust from showing up under the light.  8)