pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: P-Mans "Rock and Roll" Vinyl LP page
« Reply #5644 on: 2 Aug 2015, 02:21 am »

Spirit ~ Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5645 on: 2 Aug 2015, 03:49 pm »
Saw Jackson Browne Thursday night (great show). His lead guitar player is awesome. Caused me to go back and listen to lot of his music this weekend.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5646 on: 2 Aug 2015, 04:10 pm »
I have a new cartridge in the house. Bought it used on Audiogon from a very reputable seller, less than 200 hours. I am listening to some well-known favorites and I am blown away by how much more revealing this cartridge is than my Lyra Skala. Tight fast bass, excellent dynamics and great clarity and detail from top to bottom.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5647 on: 3 Aug 2015, 02:46 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5648 on: 3 Aug 2015, 02:50 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5649 on: 3 Aug 2015, 02:54 am »

brooklyn

« Reply #5650 on: 3 Aug 2015, 04:12 am »
Hi Laura, congrats on the new cartridge. I see by all your postings that your putting
it through it’s paces. It’s always wonderful to add a new piece of equipment into the
mix. Enjoy.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #5651 on: 3 Aug 2015, 04:23 pm »
Hi Laura, congrats on the new cartridge. I see by all your postings that your putting
it through it’s paces. It’s always wonderful to add a new piece of equipment into the
mix. Enjoy.

Thanks. It is a process getting used to a new cartridge that is more revealing than previous cartridges. Playing with different loads too. Right now I am perceiving a little brightness in the music, but that might be because it is so much more revealing than previous cartridges and not really "brighter." I definitely need more time to get used to it.

pconley2

« Reply #5652 on: 3 Aug 2015, 05:46 pm »
Hi Laura, nice to see the new cartridge, hope it works out well for you, I am thinking of updating my phono pre-amp since you guys (thank you all so much :!:) have gotten me to listen to my vinyl again.  I have thousands of records that I acquired over the years but moved on to digital a number of years ago.  thanks to this forum (mostly) and some of the other vinyl forums (fora?), I have started to replay much of the vinyl that I have.  some of it is fabulous, some of it sucks but there is a difference between Digital and Vinyl, although I won't say that vinyl is always better :nono:.

With regard to jackson Brown's guitarist, David Lyndley (of Kaleidoscope and El Rayo X fame) played for him for years, is he still traveling with Jackson, I have heard that Lindley has developed hearing problems and is not playing live as often--it would be interesting if Jackson had found someone as good as David is, because he is fabulous, going all the way back to "my Redneck Friend" from Jackson's 1973 album For Everyman.

Phil

ACHiPo

« Reply #5653 on: 4 Aug 2015, 02:53 am »
I have a new cartridge in the house. Bought it used on Audiogon from a very reputable seller, less than 200 hours. I am listening to some well-known favorites and I am blown away by how much more revealing this cartridge is than my Lyra Skala. Tight fast bass, excellent dynamics and great clarity and detail from top to bottom.

:green:

Just bought a used Kleos, but haven't gotten a chance to mount it yet.  I've heard nothing but raves about the Atlas (as you'd expect for an MSRP pushing $10k)

Congrats Laura!

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5654 on: 5 Aug 2015, 07:10 pm »

Jackson Browne: Standing in the Breach

Doc

pconley2

« Reply #5655 on: 6 Aug 2015, 03:31 am »
Since all of you (collectively) are responsible for my returning to my vinyl collection and for buying new vinyl (today I picked up the new 45 RPM version of Dylan's John Wesley Harding [#507]), I am curious about all of your opinions on getting vinyl versions of Digitally recorded music.  I bought a vinyl version of the Stones later album A Bigger Bang, which has one song, Laugh, I nearly died, that I use as a test for new equipment.  The original CD has very clean sound and the vinyl was absolutely no improvement over the CD (in fact it was muddier).  I wonder if I made a rookie mistake by buying a vinyl version of a digitally  recorded record.  Put differently, with all of your considerable knowledge of vinyl, to your ears do all albums sound better in vinyl or should I stick to trying to buy "Reference" versions of the music of my youth (50's/60's/7's).  Should I think about an all analog recording chain and limit myself to those?
Any opinions about this would be appreciated, and I apologize if this is not the proper use of this forum, but I have come to know much about many of you because of the wonderful taste you have shown with all of your choices (and stories).
Thanks,
Phil

Devil Doc

« Reply #5656 on: 6 Aug 2015, 01:59 pm »
All recordings are flawed. I don't care how much money you've got; you can't buy the perfect mike. And that's just the beginning of the chain. I personally don't worry much about it. It was giving me a rash.

Doc

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #5657 on: 6 Aug 2015, 11:14 pm »
Mick Fleetwood  ‎– The Visitor

brooklyn

« Reply #5658 on: 7 Aug 2015, 03:34 am »

Devil Doc