Forced to Update to W10?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Forced to Update to W10?
« on: 24 Jul 2016, 09:06 pm »
At 8/9 days to W10 free offer expire I got W7 corrupted.
Anyone W7 also had similar probs?

Don_S

Re: Forced to Update to W10?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2016, 09:14 pm »
I have W7 and no problems. Works great. 

I did elect to upgrade to W10 today but I don't think it is working.  I keep getting the message that one update failed to install.  My only options are to cancel or try again.  That just repeats the process.  Stuck in a "do loop".  :evil:

At least I think there was a cancel option.  Waiting for the merry-go-round to go-round again.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2016, 09:52 pm »
If Windows 7 is working for you then stay with it, support ends in 2020 which by then you will have a new computer with Win 10 anyway. Some software will no longer work with Windows 10 like old printer drivers for old HP printers.

Windows 10 may also fail to install if there in no updated driver for an onboard graphics chip. The workaround is to make an install disk with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134981.msg1536764#msg1536764

The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Install Disk also allows you to do a clean install of Windows 10, register with the license number on the back of your Windows 7 disk. Backup your date first of course.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:11 pm »
Iam repairing W7 currently, I will backup tomorrow,
GWX test say my apps and system are fully compatible.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:30 pm »
I have 7 Pro and no plans to do 10 on the main PC. I updated two music servers to 10. My main PC is almost5 years old and I will be getting a newer one in a couple of months.

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:36 am »
If Windows 7 is working for you then stay with it, support ends in 2020 which by then you will have a new computer with Win 10 anyway. Some software will no longer work with Windows 10 like old printer drivers for old HP printers.

Windows 10 may also fail to install if there in no updated driver for an onboard graphics chip. The workaround is to make an install disk with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134981.msg1536764#msg1536764

The Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Install Disk also allows you to do a clean install of Windows 10, register with the license number on the back of your Windows 7 disk. Backup your date first of course.

Thanks for this.  I will stay with 7 till 2020 or computer dies...whichever comes first  :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:56 pm »
As WGH mentions, making the install disc for Windows 10 works much better for the upgrade at this point than the online upgrade.

On thing I tried is telling it do not install updates at this time during the install process.  The install went smoothly.  It seems the update process is what is holding it up, as I see here with multiple tries.

Have done 2 machines with the Win10 install disc and no problems.  The machines will do the updates as needed online. 

The only real problem one was when one person was doing the upgrade and lost power.  That was not good.  Put the machines on battery backup if you can. 

mav52

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2016, 02:24 pm »
I have Win7 and have NO plans to upgrade to 10.   I few of my photography friends who noted it hosed up their Photoshop applications that are resident on their PC and not in the Adobe CC Cloud.  Like MaxCast noted " I will stay with 7 till 2020 or computer dies...whichever comes first "

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2016, 07:25 pm »
Seems microsoft dont want I fix my W7, they already give me 2 links failed to download the patch, the first link was incomplete:
https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/software-download/windows7
And the second link always abended in 2.7GB:
http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_Pro_SP1_BrazilianPortuguese_x64.iso?t=1a0d518c-e988-4820-8116-5aeeb92ea343&e=1469477411&h=dc77c0d5937e0d3f243d23a62deb0206

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2016, 08:09 pm »
I have W7 and no problems. Works great. 

I did elect to upgrade to W10 today but I don't think it is working.  I keep getting the message that one update failed to install.  My only options are to cancel or try again.  That just repeats the process.  Stuck in a "do loop".  :evil:

At least I think there was a cancel option.  Waiting for the merry-go-round to go-round again.

It was taking a very long time to repeatedly download the update and then failing.  I eventually decided to skip that update and finish downloading and installing W10. Everything seems to work fine without that allegedly "important" update. 

Steve (SRB) gave me some useful tips on installing W10.  Microsoft, like any clever magician, points you where it wants you too look meanwhile performing slight-of-hand.  At the bottom right of each setup page there is the tab to move forward and accept what Microsoft sets as defaults.  If you want something different look to the bottom left of the page.  In much smaller font there is an option provided.  e.g. accept or decline sharing and information gathering via easy customizing.  One page allows the user to select which apps load upon start up.  Another page allows the user to tell what's-her-face (can't remember Siri's evil twin's name) "not now".

I don't want Big Brother watching and I don't need Big Sister listening.  I selected "not now" and have not been bothered by recurring invitations.

I debated updating but I decided to do that since I tend to keep computers for a long time and the one I updated has an Intel i7 CPU and lots of RAM. I expect it to run for a long time. I won't call W10 an upgrade because I can't perceive any benefit to me other than longevity. But I am tired of computers that still work great other than being so dated in their OS they have to be sent to e-waste recycling. I think the main benefit of W10 is to Microsoft.  The more information they gather the more profitable it is to them for marketing and advertisement revenues. They are somewhat voracious.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2016, 01:16 am »
Seems microsoft dont want I fix my W7, they already give me 2 links failed to download the patch, the first link was incomplete:
https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/software-download/windows7
And the second link always abended in 2.7GB:
http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_Pro_SP1_BrazilianPortuguese_x64.iso?t=1a0d518c-e988-4820-8116-5aeeb92ea343&e=1469477411&h=dc77c0d5937e0d3f243d23a62deb0206

True story: A few years ago a friend was on a trip overseas. While he was gone his wife decided to surprise him with a new computer for his birthday. He arrives home to a warm welcome and a new computer, then asks his wife "where are all my photos?" that were on the old computer, she shrugs and says gone I guess.
The moral of the story is nothing on your computer is important. Loose it and life goes on - and you have a new computer.

Do you have anything on your computer you want to keep?
At this point I would kill Windows 7 and do a clean install of Windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool mentioned above.
Then move on and do something more fun.

martinr

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2016, 01:35 am »
My computer crashed hard when the Win 10 update started.  I lost everything.  Recommend you backup before you go any farther if you haven't already....I like WIn 10 now that I have it correctly installed but the crash was a pain....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2016, 10:57 am »
I made a bkup yesterday on DVD.
MS send me a new email w/a new bad link for W7, it abend near the end also the second link.((
http://software-download.microsoft.com/pr/Win7_Pro_SP1_BrazilianPortuguese_x64.iso?t=b722d144-b524-433d-89af-2e93c0dabd66&e=1469546302&h=6a9bd3550e05fa7437a12c40d4f8b359

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2016, 03:01 pm »
A download manager could help, both programs resumes broken/dead downloads caused by connection problem, power failure or session expiration.
I haven't used either program but both get 4 stars.

Xtreme Download Manager

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdman/

Free Download Manager
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2016, 03:36 pm »
1) - Download Macrium Reflect Free.
 - Do a ful image backup of your win 7 machine.

2) - Do the win10 upgrade.
- Now your machine has been authorized to use win 10.

3) - Go back to the image you made if you do not like win10.

This way you can try win10, get your free upgrade authorization for taht machine, and you can still go back to exactly the way your pc was before the win10 upgrade.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2016, 03:48 pm »
I upgraded to Win 10 last night and ended up deleting it because it made my computer run really slow.  I did make a back up of my Win 8.1 and reinstalled it.  I have the Win 10 key now and I will do a clean install of Win 10 eventually.  This is the best way to do it.  A lot of people are having problems with their computers running slow after installing Win 10 without a total clean install.

If you don't want to upgrade yet, you should download it and get the Win 10 key so you can upgrade for free in the future.

Don_S

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2016, 04:11 pm »
I upgraded to Win 10 last night and ended up deleting it because it made my computer run really slow.  I did make a back up of my Win 8.1 and reinstalled it.  I have the Win 10 key now and I will do a clean install of Win 10 eventually.  This is the best way to do it.  A lot of people are having problems with their computers running slow after installing Win 10 without a total clean install.

If you don't want to upgrade yet, you should download it and get the Win 10 key so you can upgrade for free in the future.

How do you download W10 and get the key for later?

*Scotty*

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2016, 04:31 pm »
Here is a online tutorial explaining what you need to do use windows 10 without a product key. Apparently Microsoft wants people to use Win 10, even if they don't activate it and pay.
http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
All you need to do is go to the Microsoft website and use the media creation tool to create a copy of Win 10 on a DVD or flash drive, which you can put on your machine at any time and activate if desired.
I used the media creation tool to put a copy on a flash drive to upgrade my MS-2 PC Music Server. Worked like a charm.
Scotty

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2016, 04:36 pm »
I really don't know if this helps, but my approach was to just buy a new W10 licence and install it on a "new" VM. W7 lives on in the "old" VM.

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 2016, 04:45 pm »
Here is a online tutorial explaining what you need to do use windows 10 without a product key. Apparently Microsoft wants people to use Win 10, even if they don't activate it and pay.
http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
All you need to do is go to the Microsoft website and use the media creation tool to create a copy of Win 10 on a DVD or flash drive, which you can put on your machine at any time and activate if desired.
I used the media creation tool to put a copy on a flash drive to upgrade my MS-2 PC Music Server. Worked like a charm.
Scotty

Thanks Scotty.  Any idea how big the file is?  I have some 1GB flash drives I am not using.  Might be handy to have a copy in case I have to do a clean install later.

For the record.  I updated two computers to W10 and both work fine.  One was W7-Home Edition and the other was W7-Pro.