Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: 23 Jun 2017, 02:00 am

Favorite Cheese

FireGuy

Re: Favorite Cheese
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2017, 05:37 pm »
While visiting Lorraine, France:

Munster-géromé

A little different texture and strength from what we have here,  but not over powering.   This along with a Fischer Traditional Amber, oh yeah I remember that evening.

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2017, 05:40 pm »

Have you tried eating some Italian Parmesan from a solid block? Yummy! It's not the stuff you shake out of plastic container.

I think you're misinterpreting what he said.  He basically listed several types of "Parmesan" from blocks:  Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino Romano. I think he meant "Parmesan" is a generic name for many different similar cheeses.  Like "Swiss" cheese, it's a meaningless moniker. 

There are a lot of great American cheeses (by this, I mean made in America), but they are made by small cheese manufacturers and are harder to find. 

soundbitten1

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:06 pm »
Havarti has become my fave lately.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:25 pm »
Mozzarella for everyday and Gorgonzola(not listed).

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2017, 01:34 am »
Far and away Parmigiano-Reggiano. It's even more delicious if you eat pieces of it while having barbecued tri-tip.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2017, 01:36 am »
Provel* on pizza seems to be a St. Louis "thing". (search for "Imo's Pizza"). Just awesome.

I like feta. So much, that I have a hard time keeping it out of my mouth while I'm using it on the food I'm serving.

Swiss is great. I'm always a fan.

Muenster is fantastic, as is Asiago.

The pedestrian Cheddar is always welcome in my house.

*Provel
So... I've eaten this for decades, but never searched for its meaning.
Here's what Google has to say about Provel:
"Provel is a white processed cheese particularly popular in St. Louis cuisine, that is a combination of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheeses, and tastes nothing like any of them."
Curious to hear the thoughts of those of you that have eaten Provel cheese.

galyons

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jun 2017, 04:28 am »

Have you tried eating some Italian Parmesan from a solid block? Yummy! It's not the stuff you shake out of plastic container.

Yep...Parmigiano-Reggiano,  Stravecchio,  Grana Padano, etc.  In Italy and the EU there is no generic parmesan.  The cheeses are protected by The DOP laws.  NOT SO in the US!!  Parmesan is used generically and bears little resemblance to the original or its production standards.  Even dried nonfat milk powder and chemicals are allowed in production.  Here is part of the US regulation relative to Parmesan:

(c)(1) For the purposes of this section, the word "milk" means cow's milk, which may be adjusted by separating part of the fat therefrom or by adding thereto one or more of the following: Cream, skim milk, concentrated skim milk, nonfat dry milk, water in a quantity sufficient to reconstitute any concentrated skim milk or nonfat dry milk used.

(2) Such milk may be bleached by the use of benzoyl peroxide or a mixture of benzoyl peroxide with potassium alum, calcium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate; but the weight of the benzoyl peroxide is not more than 0.002 percent of the weight of the milk bleached, and the weight of the potassium alum, calcium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate, singly or combined, is not more than six times the weight of the benzoyl peroxide used. If milk is bleached in this manner, sufficient vitamin A is added to the curd to compensate for the vitamin A or its precursors destroyed in the bleaching process, and artificial coloring is not used

Hence my rolling eyes when seeing parmesan!!!

Cheers,
Geary

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:00 am »
Yes, Parmigiano Reggiano is a true "King Cheese". It's been made in the same Region by the same recipe for over 800 years. If the rind doesn't say "Parmigiano Reggiano" in pin-sized dots, it isn't parmesan. :thumb:

weatherman1

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jun 2017, 05:24 am »
For those of us that don't live in cheese rich market cities but love to sample the taste, texture, and olfactory wonders of the world's artisanal products may I offer this web source http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/cheese.asp   They have much more than cheese. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2017, 12:56 pm »
MMmmm... I love me some bleached milk cheese.   :thumbdown:

Mag

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:41 pm »
Just got back from the grocer and thought I'd try Havarti- smoked and Havarti- garlic and my familiar Swiss.

Havarti- smoked has a softer texture than the Swiss similar to that of Valvetta cheese. The smoke flavour is mild. I give Havarti a 'pass' it's okay but not great tasting.