Bryston Loudspeakers

mrhyfy

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #560 on: 29 Jul 2012, 03:35 pm »
Ah,,,might we expect studio black vinyl??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #561 on: 29 Jul 2012, 03:40 pm »
Ah,,,might we expect studio black vinyl??

I will ask - I guess if it available we could do it.

James

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #562 on: 29 Jul 2012, 03:43 pm »
 Will that be a matt  or shiny finish James. To me a flatter look seems more austere and serious . :thumb:

adol290

« Reply #563 on: 29 Jul 2012, 03:48 pm »
James is it safe to assume.

The center speaker will have 2 x 8" woofer 2 x 5.5" mid and 2 x 1" tweeter and tri-wireable.

The surround 2 x 5.5" mid 2 x 1" tweeter and bi-wireable.

The surround is to be put on a speaker stand, or will it be wall mountable.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #564 on: 29 Jul 2012, 04:13 pm »
James is it safe to assume.

The center speaker will have 2 x 8" woofer 2 x 5.5" mid and 2 x 1" tweeter and tri-wireable.

The surround 2 x 5.5" mid 2 x 1" tweeter and bi-wireable.

The surround is to be put on a speaker stand, or will it be wall mountable.

The Center will be as you described.

The surrounds will be as you described and the in-wall version may as well - not sure on that - we may just go with 1 tweeter on the in-walls.

Also I am thinking of a 3-way (1-8 inch woofer, 1-5 inch mid and 1 tweeter) for the stand version of the surrounds to get more full range capability.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #565 on: 29 Jul 2012, 04:16 pm »
Will that be a matt  or shiny finish James. To me a flatter look seems more austere and serious . :thumb:

I agree - matt or satin looks better.

james

rmurray

« Reply #566 on: 30 Jul 2012, 05:19 pm »
  James what are the cone materials of the black drivers? :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #567 on: 30 Jul 2012, 05:31 pm »
  James what are the cone materials of the black drivers? :scratch:

A magnesium and aluminum mix. You are looking for a low resonance characteristics and light weight and stiffness.

James

tomsenko

« Reply #568 on: 31 Jul 2012, 07:50 am »
Hi all,

It seems that some companies do believe that speaker casing/finishing has significant effect on sound quality:
http://www.lessloss.com/kaiser-kawero-p-211.html

Of course it may be that it is just marketing BS in order to justify the hefty pricetag.

Does anyone have a view on this?

Toms

saveloy

« Reply #569 on: 31 Jul 2012, 11:16 am »
I had a chat last week with a builder friend.  His carpenter has just covered the bespoke wardrobes he has made with a gorgeous, high quality walnut veneer.  The veneer costs £1000 per square metre.
So it is absolutely no surprise how much speaker manufacturers demand for real wood.

Kyri

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #570 on: 31 Jul 2012, 02:47 pm »
 Going back to the 'seventies' era it was always believed that veneering both the outer and inner surfaces would have positive effects in enclosure resonance. How true remains a dubious factor. This was a time, of course that veneers were affordable . Perhaps this is a good topic for the "Enclosures" forum. :eyebrows:

sfraser

« Reply #571 on: 3 Aug 2012, 03:08 am »
I just seen a picture of thiel 3.7 "Burst" speakers....wow are they some gorgeous.

The cabinets were made at the Gibson guitar factory. Google them, they are something else.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #572 on: 3 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm »
I just seen a picture of thiel 3.7 "Burst" speakers....wow are they some gorgeous.

The cabinets were made at the Gibson guitar factory. Google them, they are something else.

Yes we have had them at a few shows where we shared a room with Thiel - they are terrific :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #573 on: 3 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm »
I would like piano black lacquer, please.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #574 on: 11 Aug 2012, 08:11 pm »
Hi Folks,

I decided to let a few people in the industry that I respect over to hear the new Bryston Model T loudspeakers. Got this today.

james

Sent: August-11-12 3:57 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Bryston Model T Loudspeaker

"Hi James,

Thanks for the invite to audition the new Bryston Model T loudspeaker.

So, as I look at this tower, with a million drivers in it, I think OK just another speaker, how boring is this gonna be?

What I was not prepared for, was what I heard.

Top to bottom coherence like no tomorrow. A tonal balance to die for. Not surprising being developed by JT, fantastic imaging and sound-staging, what a disappearing act.

I had the luxury of hearing both active and passive versions. The passive being one of the best values in audio, and the active maybe the best I have heard at any price.

Well done James."

Mark Jones
Whitby Audio Video.

Vipers

« Reply #575 on: 11 Aug 2012, 09:58 pm »
Excellent review James, you must be extremely happy but equally excited as the Model T begins it's journey out of your demo room into the great wide open.

Which begs the question, do you think there is any chance of the Model T showings it's drivers on this side of the pond? I'd love to hear the passives but it's the actives that really appeal, if they are not going to make it over here maybe it's time for a trip over for a Bryston factory tour to sneak a quick listen :wink:

adol290

« Reply #576 on: 12 Aug 2012, 03:23 am »

James,

What amps were you using on the active speakers, for the audition.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #577 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:22 am »
James,

What amps were you using on the active speakers, for the audition.

Hi,

Two 6B's with the new DSP Electronic crossover but I have also played with two 4B'sand two 7B's.

On the passive setup I was using the 28B's

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #578 on: 12 Aug 2012, 10:30 am »
Excellent review James, you must be extremely happy but equally excited as the Model T begins it's journey out of your demo room into the great wide open.

Which begs the question, do you think there is any chance of the Model T showings it's drivers on this side of the pond? I'd love to hear the passives but it's the actives that really appeal, if they are not going to make it over here maybe it's time for a trip over for a Bryston factory tour to sneak a quick listen :wink:

Hi Vipers

It will be up to the individual distributors as to whether they carry the speakers in their market. It will obviously be a difficult choice for some as many have other obligations to a speaker line.

I may just concentrate on North American for now because 'if you can make it in New York you can make it anywhere'  :lol:

James

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #579 on: 12 Aug 2012, 01:50 pm »
Hi Folks,

I decided to let a few people in the industry that I respect over to hear the new Bryston Model T loudspeakers. Got this today.

james

Sent: August-11-12 3:57 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Bryston Model T Loudspeaker

"Hi James,

Thanks for the invite to audition the new Bryston Model T loudspeaker.

So, as I look at this tower, with a million drivers in it, I think OK just another speaker, how boring is this gonna be?

What I was not prepared for, was what I heard.

Top to bottom coherence like no tomorrow. A tonal balance to die for. Not surprising being developed by JT, fantastic imaging and sound-staging, what a disappearing act.

I had the luxury of hearing both active and passive versions. The passive being one of the best values in audio, and the active maybe the best I have heard at any price.

Well done James."

Mark Jones
Whitby Audio Video.

James, based on what you've written about the Model T's development, the role of Axiom (and my experience with its M80), and your work on it, I'm not the least bit surprised by this reaction. My guess is that the Model T will cause quite a stir in the audio world.

Bryston seems to be on an incredible roll with its product introductions. The hits just keep on coming.

Dave