Collected reviews of Von Schweikert speakers

Delacroix

Collected reviews of Von Schweikert speakers
« on: 17 Oct 2009, 05:43 pm »
I was trawling the web to pull together as many reviews of our favorite speakers as I could to provide a single resource here and then found the work had largely been done already:

http://search.ecoustics.com/editorial/reviews/von-schweikert-speakers/recent-date/all

This is a good collection, but am sure there are more out there. It might be ideal at some point to list the reviews individually here in case that page above disappears but for now, have fun.

I am making this topic sticky so it stays on the front page. Feel free to add new reviews here.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2009, 06:42 pm by Delacroix »

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Collected reviews of Von Schweikert speakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2009, 07:24 pm »
Thanks Delacroix.  I wish the VR11s were included.  Albert needs to send me a pair to audition and review so I can put it on the eCoustics list :thumb:

Jaco Pastorius

• On a sinkin ship,women and rythm section first!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2009, 05:29 pm »

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2009, 09:25 am »
Hi Gavin,

To complete the list.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63432.0

One year ago I was able to meet these masters.
They will never leave out of my mind.

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:41 pm »
Cor,

I'd forgotten about your post.  The most impressive...make that shocking, thing about that room is the use of VR5s as rear channel speakers.  We mere mortals have to practically kill to obtain them for 2CH use!  On another note, the VR11s nor the VR9s ever make Stereophile's or Absolute Sound's list of speakers to die for.  VSA speakers remain the best-kept secret in audio.

Gavin

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:37 pm »

Hi Gavin,

Don't be shocked about the VR 5 SE acting as rears.

The role of the rear VR 5 SE is as important as the VR 11 at front and the Visiun as Center.
The surround-sound-support of the VSA is very valuable to make Film & Video reproduction a real live experience.

The VR 5 SE is a perfect match to complete the 360 degree soundfield.

When we were enjoying the animation-movie 'Cars' there was a very realistic sound all over the room supporting us what we saw on the screen into a true story. Specially when that plane came over from left front to right rear there was a shock of fear by the realism. It looked and sounded like the plane disappeared into the VR 5 SE.

This combination is really fearing real.

Beware if you have the opportunity to join this combination once.

Regards,

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:55 pm »
Hi Cor,

I don't doubt you for a minute but I am very pleased with my Speakercraft in wall rears for a total investment of less than $500.  Call me crazy but the idea of investing over $20K in rear channel speakers seems a bit over the top.  Of course if you've got the $$ and an understanding wife, go for it! :lol:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:03 pm »
Hi Gavin,

The investment in serious rearspeakers is only valuable when you once have the experience of the result.

It feels like reality, it is the reality.

I know, until that you can enjoy any other level.

Cor

Steve

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:36 pm »
I have the opportunity to audition the VR-3s, on loan for several weeks, and wow they are very very nice sounding. I also have heard the VR-4s in my testing room, that were upgraded by the factory some years ago, and am also very very impressed. Simply stellar sounding. I can easily, highly recommend them.

Steve Sammet

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:31 am »
Lucky you Steve,

Now you have made us all very curious.

Hope they will be available soon.

Regards,

Cor

Steve

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:18 pm »
Lucky you Steve,

Now you have made us all very curious.

Hope they will be available soon.

Regards,

Cor

Hi Cor,

I am having trouble understanding what is available soon? Probably my limited understanding in some area. To my limited knowledge the VR-3s (mid 90s?) and 4s are older models that Bernie has and left with me to audition. Very very impressive speakers indeed. I like Albert's philosophy when designing.

Anyway, could you fill in my missing knowledge so I can catch up as I have not been that attentive?

Thanks Cor and have a great week.

Steve

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:29 pm »
A formal review perhaps?  :dunno:

JackD201

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:34 pm »
Hey Steve, there are rumors that a new 3 is in the works  :wink:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2010, 07:53 pm »
I bought my VR-4 GEN III HSE speakers from Paul Garner of VSA about five years ago. Still got them and I'm keeping them. But like all the speakers made in the whole wide world they sound much better with top notch electronics. I've tried a bunch of different pre's and amps over the years. All very good gear. Right now I have a Mac 220 pre and a Mac 352 amp running the show. The Vr-4's have never sounded so good. I'm one happy camper!! Just my two cents worth.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:38 pm »
Hi Steve,

I thought you were talking about the new model based on the VR 3 from the mid 90s.

Do you mean this model?

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vrline/VR-3M.HTM

Regards,

Cor

Steve

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2010, 11:53 pm »
Hey Steve, there are rumors that a new 3 is in the works  :wink:

Thanks Jack, good to hear as they are most definitely worth it. VR-3 is from mid 90s. ES347 here is what I found concerning the VR-3s Bernie loaned me. The VR-4s were some months ago so I cannot honestly make a valid comparison but it was really great.

The VR-3s have a beautiful midrange extremely close to single drivers. I had the back control set to approximately 6:15 for voices that sounded the most natural in my test area.  Adjusted too high and there was a slight edge to the voices due to higher harmonics being acentuated, but too low and the voices seemed rounded off. 6:15 or so seemed just right to me. I love the adjustment feature.

On the best recordings the voices were very realistic as if almost  being there in the studio. One has to experience it to really understand what I mean.

Mids/highs were really nice and accurate. Cymbals were clean and natural with a very nice shimmer. Depending upon the recording and mic placement, some bright sounding speakers give the impression of the cymbals being up front with snares farther back, creating the impression of  the drum set being in two places at the same time. Same if the tweeter were down a notch or two below what it should be, except the cymbals might be behind the snares. Not with the VR-3s. The cymbals were with the snares; one could see the kit together.

Bass is what I would call "tuneful" with minimal boxiness, bloat, and artifacts that I hear from most sealed or bass reflex types. I like it because it does not mask upper bass/midrange information and yet one can easily hear the strings being played, and yet the bass has plenty of ummph, just clean accurate bass. I have Pictures at the Exhibition on pipe organ (performed by Jean Guillou at the Great Organ of the Tonhalle, Zurich) which reaches 16hz in this recording, and it sounds clean without boxiness or bloat. Really an outstanding job of not letting any bass problems affect other portions of the music. No rattles or any cabinet problems either. 

Soundstage is excellent with music and voices easily extending beyond the wall behind the speakers. Using Stereophile CD3 track 10, Soundstage, the gent appears he is actually 30 - 50 feet behind the wall. He walks up to the piano/mic, and he is at the wall or more forward, so great front to back ratio/three dimensional sound as it should be.

Take 5 is a unique recording to test as the snares gradually move back over a few seconds (although artificially) as it is being played around the 2:35 second mark give or take. This is easily heard on the VR-3s. Females such as Charlotte Church and Norah Jones are so lifelike.

All and all this speaker is easily a winner and a new model VR-3 should do well if/when introduced, which I hope Albert does.

Cheers.

Steve

P.s. This is the first speaker I have tested that I have not had to tweek.

« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010, 06:36 pm by Steve »

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:34 am »
So Bernie is still hauling his equipment around eh?  Taking a pair of VSA speakers all the way up to northern IL for someone to audition is what I call one dedicated audiophile!  Bernie showed up here armed with cds, cables and even one of your preamps.  I was reluctant to tear things apart to hear the pre but now wish I had.  Glad you liked his VR3s.  If you ever find yourself in the general vicinity of Indy, you are more than welcome to stop by for 2-man rave. 

Gavin

Steve

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2010, 12:48 am »
So Bernie is still hauling his equipment around eh?  Taking a pair of VSA speakers all the way up to northern IL for someone to audition is what I call one dedicated audiophile!  Bernie showed up here armed with cds, cables and even one of your preamps.  I was reluctant to tear things apart to hear the pre but now wish I had.  Glad you liked his VR3s.  If you ever find yourself in the general vicinity of Indy, you are more than welcome to stop by for 2-man rave. 

Gavin

Thanks Gavin and yes, Bernie is a very dedicated audiophile. I really appreciated him loaning me the VRs to audition; it is a great experience. If I ever get that way I will look you up and visa versa Gavin.

Thanks again Gavin.

Steve
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010, 06:34 pm by Steve »

Delacroix

Review of the Uni 2
« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2010, 06:31 pm »

Antoine

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:26 pm »
Through Google I found a Polish review of the VR5 SE's here: http://www.vonschweikert.pl/pdf/audio032008vr5.pdf

Does anyone know if a translation into English exists? I tried some online translators but unfortunately they do a very poor job on translating this PDF.