LDR for Cherry Integrated?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
LDR for Cherry Integrated?
« on: 8 Jun 2017, 04:50 pm »
We are considering an LDR solution for volume control, possibly in conjunction with our new MEGAschino amplifier series.  I'd like to know what AC members think of the idea and if there are any pointers that might help us decide on a configuration.  We've heard lots of good things about Tortuga!  Thanks.

-Tommy O

our circle:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174

dburna

Re: LDR for Cherry Integrated?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2017, 04:53 pm »
I may have been one of the folks to weigh in on this.  I think a Cherry amp + Tortuga LDR would be killer.  Tortuga has the best volume control I have found hands-down.  Any/all pots need not apply.  I think a standard model LDR would be fine.  I don't think full balanced would be possible if you want to maintain a small footprint amp.....but that's just my $0.02.

-dB

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2017, 07:43 pm »
I may have been one of the folks to weigh in on this.  I think a Cherry amp + Tortuga LDR would be killer.  Tortuga has the best volume control I have found hands-down.  Any/all pots need not apply.  I think a standard model LDR would be fine.  I don't think full balanced would be possible if you want to maintain a small footprint amp.....but that's just my $0.02.

-dB
Thanks for your feedback.  Let's keep this going....

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2017, 08:08 pm »
+1 for Tortuga - within 10 seconds of hearing one the first time I knew this was something special.  And Morten is great. I am sure he could get you one set up as a perfect match for one of your amps.

kernelbob

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2017, 11:27 pm »
I have a Tortuga LDR, actually two.  It performs far above its price point and has trounced every preamp/controller comparison (and that includes some well known "high end" preamps).

I'd suggest an arrangement where the power amp manufacturer and Tortuga can work out a non-exclusive discount on the price of the Tortuga in exchange for including the Tortuga in a combined poweramp/preamp package.

One point.  If the poweramp accepts balanced input, you'd be crazy not to include a combo package with the Tortuga LDRxB that includes absolute phase/polarity switching capability.  Once you hear how important that capability is, you'll never own a system without it.  The Tortuga handles that by a single click from the remote control.  The Tortuga is so clean and revealing that it makes the difference between correct and incorrect absolute phase very obvious.

Best,
Robert
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2017, 03:28 am by kernelbob »

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2017, 01:38 am »
My buddy Rex is using a LDR-3 with  a DAC SMT and loves it. He is using this with Audience Clarinet 1+1's, Decware DIY DNA Horns, and  Omega 3HO speakers.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2017, 02:35 pm »
Hi Tommy,
Happy discuss our LDR attenuator/controller and things you'd have to consider in integrating within an amp.
morten@tortugaaudio.com
Best,
Morten
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2017, 05:22 pm by tortugaranger »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2017, 05:16 pm »
I have a Tortuga LDR, actually two.  It performs far above its price point and has trounced every preamp/controller comparison (and that includes some well known "high end" preamps).

I'd suggest an arrangement where the power amp manufacturer and Tortuga can work out a non-exclusive discount on the price of the Tortuga in exchange for including the Tortuga in a combined poweramp/preamp package.

One point.  If the poweramp accepts balanced input, you'd be crazy not to include a combo package with the Tortuga LDRxB that includes absolute phase/polarity switching capability.  Once you hear how important that capability is, you'll never own a system without it.  The Tortuga handles that by a single click from the remote control.  The Tortuga is so clean and revealing that it makes the difference between correct and incorrect absolute phase very obvious.

Best,
Robert
I'm thinking that combined with Cherry's DC coupling and high bandwidth....  Sounds like a winner, especially for the MEGAschino.   Nice!   Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2017, 05:20 pm »
Hi Tommy,
Happy discuss our LDR attenuator/controller and things you'd have to consider in integrating within an amp.
morten@tortuaaudio.com
Best,
Morten
Sent a regular email, but is there a missing "g" in the address?  Thanks for the info.  Let's talk!

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2017, 05:24 pm »
Sent a regular email, but is there a missing "g" in the address?  Thanks for the info.  Let's talk!

Yes indeed. I write this address so often I stop looking at what I type.  morten@tortuGaaudio.com

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2017, 05:38 pm »
Yes indeed. I write this address so often I stop looking at what I type.  morten@tortuGaaudio.com
Ok, resent....

Gerry E.

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2017, 06:23 pm »
Hi:

I'm a bit late to this thread but I think it's a great idea!  Matter of fact, I had suggested exacty this to Vinnie Rossi for his LIO but he ended up going in other directions.

I don't know why other manufacturers don't consider this approach to volume control.  If you end up pursuing this, best of luck!

Gerry   

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2017, 06:46 pm »
Hi:

I'm a bit late to this thread but I think it's a great idea!  Matter of fact, I had suggested exacty this to Vinnie Rossi for his LIO but he ended up going in other directions.

I don't know why other manufacturers don't consider this approach to volume control.  If you end up pursuing this, best of luck!

Gerry
Thanks for your kind post.  We are waiting for a reply on getting started.  We're interested in innovative solutions that the big guys won't touch.  We put care and love into our products that big business just doesn't get from their spreadsheets and accounting charts.  I think there's a real difference in attitude between a hand built custom manufacturer that sells direct and the well known brands with their huge markups that have essentially become packaging, marketing, sales operations.  We understand and truly appreciate the PEOPLE that are our beloved customers ---- the source of the food on our tables.  We consider them our friends and it's our pleasure to go where the big guys don't, and more efficiently to offer hardware for your hard earned cash as opposed to a marketing campaign (:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2017, 07:15 pm »
Thanks for your kind post.  We are waiting for a reply on getting started.  We're interested in innovative solutions that the big guys won't touch.  We put care and love into our products that big business just doesn't get from their spreadsheets and accounting charts.  I think there's a real difference in attitude between a hand built custom manufacturer that sells direct and the well known brands with their huge markups that have essentially become packaging, marketing, sales operations.  We understand and truly appreciate the PEOPLE that are our beloved customers ---- the source of the food on our tables.  We consider them our friends and it's our pleasure to go where the big guys don't, and more efficiently to offer hardware for your hard earned cash as opposed to a marketing campaign (:

Well said indeed Tommy!
Sent you an email earlier today and look forward to having a chat soon.

Cheers,
Morten