Abbe's Honduras Medical Mission Fundraiser planning meeting Sunday April 23

daves

It is almost that  time of year again, and Abbe and Francis are having their medical mission organizational meeting this week, so I figured it would be good for us to have a low key planning meeting ourselves on either March 11, 12, or 19th. We have again volunteered to host it at our house in south county. Last year we had a lot of people open their hearts and wallets to help the less fortunate in Honduras, and I would love to make this year's fundraiser even bigger, better, and more fun!
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2017, 01:43 pm by daves »

JohnH12

• John H
Re: Abbe's Honduras Medical Mission Fundraiser planning meeting
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2017, 12:42 am »
I should have another pair of speakers to donate.

daves

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2017, 08:40 pm »
We will have the meeting on Sunday, April 23, at 2pm. There may be a couple interesting top notch mono systems to listen to, as well as the planning session.

daves

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2017, 03:51 pm »
Here is one of the mono amps to be featured.

Baumli

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2017, 06:26 pm »
Dave,

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but someone stole the transformers off your Fairchild amp, and set a pair of old refrigerators they found in a dump there to disguise the fact that the transformers are missing.

I just thought I should let you know, so you can get them replaced in time!

Best,

Francis

Baumli

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2017, 07:56 am »
Dear GAS members,

A close look at that Fairchild would suggest that there is something bad wrong with it. And indeed there is.

See that empty tube socket? When Dave went to remove its tube, that tube broke. It was a 1955 Mullard EL-34. They cost about $600 on eBay. (And, I might add, their sound is worth every penny.)

Since Dave didn't commit suicide, should we send him flowers? Or take up a collection to buy him another 1955 Mullard EL-34? I think I'm too jealous to choose the latter. Any opinions, more benevolent than mine, would be welcome.

Grimly,

Francis Baumli

daves

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2017, 10:27 am »
Francis, that is a noble thought, but Mike already had a pair of EH EL34s that I procured for slightly less. We will run this with the 10" RCA full ranger from 1954. :-)

Baumli

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2017, 03:40 am »
Dear folks,

Just a reminder: April 23 @ 2 P.M. is our planning meeting at Dave's, for the June 4th fundraiser. I am going with Kent Johnson; others are planning to be there. Dave is going to play show'n'tell with some of his gear, and watch our faces as he gloats.

Meanwhile, I just had a tooth pulled, so if you see a chipmunk walk through the door, don't take down your shotguns.

I'll see you then. Please put up with my mumbling.

All the best,

Francis Baumli

Baumli

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2017, 03:55 am »
A message for JohnH12,

Just to let you know, those speakers you donated last year are well broken in. They have received much play. They're mated with a small sub, but the sound is really excellent, and I still love the design. So if you are considering donating another set, then I shall eagerly look forward to beholding them, but won't stand in the way of someone else purchasing them!

Thank you for being your generosity, but I shall just as much look forward to your company!

All the best,

Francis Baumli

Baumli

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2017, 03:59 am »
A footnote,

Since, after all, I do work with words, I am embarrassed by that glitch in my last post. I meant to write, "Thank you for your generosity."

On a side note: I told Abbe the other night, when she was (as usual) holding forth, that she is like an open baffle speaker. She didn't understand. I didn't explain. I have learned to parse my words wisely.

All the best,

Francis

popthinker

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2017, 11:29 pm »
On a side note: I told Abbe the other night, when she was (as usual) holding forth, that she is like an open baffle speaker. She didn't understand. I didn't explain. I have learned to parse my words wisely.
Francis, that one baffled me. [rolls eyes while the rest of you groan]

daves

In this case, I would conjecture that Francis was implying that Abbe was speaking with great clarity, impact, and decisiveness, qualities open baffle speakers are noted for providing.

JohnH12

• John H
After consulting with my wife/ manager I have two options available.  A full dipole speaker in purple, and a custom remake of Parts Express speaker kit BR-1

Here are the pictures.  You guys can choose. These would be considered a budget build in my world.  Either will certainly sound better than many commercial offerings.  Someone will get a good deal.

daves

These both look delectable, John!

daves

The testing is done, and the mono amp lineup probably will be four amps that no one has ever heard. We have either the Fairchild 260 or 275, the Acrosound UltraLinear II, the RCA MI 12191, and the Radio Craftsman C500a, run from the Fairchild 245 preamp, with all predating 1960. This is quite a set of vintage amplifiers, if you are old enough to have receding hair, bad hearing, cataracts, and holes in your socks!

Baumli

This is a message for JOHNH12,

Actually, this message was posted last night, but then it disappeared. (Not the first time this has happened.)

John, I extend my thanks both for your generosity and for your imaginative choice. I shall say more about my motives for choosing later.

Meanwhile, the choice would be easier if we had an idea as to the size of that open-baffle proffering. If  you told us the size of the woofers, we then could more or less figure out the overall size. If they're 4-inch, that's a very different choice from what is taken into consideration if they're 15-inch.

Looking forward to this information, and eager regardless, I thank you again.

Francis Baumli

mjmsound

Hey Dave,
I see the Fairchild 275, but where is the 260? :lol: :rotflmao:

daves

Mike, with all this excitement, I have forgotten where it is...hmmm

mjmsound

It sounds very nice! 8) :thumb: