Dave's Cables by DaveC113

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Dave's Cables by DaveC113
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2013, 05:38 pm »
No worries, xsb. This is a very small, straightforward business. It's likely to stay that way too, everyone is going to get what they order.

I believe we can't correlate signal measurements to useful audible results in some cases, which makes things more difficult and provides a hiding place for unscrupulous vendors of questionable audio related items. Cables are certainly in this realm, which is why I'm taking this approach... You know exactly what's in my cables, and the price is very reasonable for what you get. I'd put my cables up against any out there regardless of price.  :green:

xsb7244

« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2013, 12:02 am »
You snooze you lose.  I knew nothing about upgraded RCA plugs.  Doing some digging, I found these:  Furutech, Neotech, Vampire, Xhadow, Eichmann, WBT, Cardas, Clearaudio.  Dave, did you experiment with  any of these?  Was Furutech the best choice for you?

xsb7244

« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2013, 12:44 am »
Dave, just saw this.  For the guy who must have everything, Furutech CF-102 R RCA connector $171.00 a pair.  Maybe you can experiment with this one.

xsb7244

« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2013, 11:07 pm »
DaveC113, when you make your power cord will you use Furutech male ac plugs connectors?  Furutech IEC Plugs?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2013, 01:25 am »
I've used Furutech, Vampire, Neotech and Eichmann RCAs on the high end. I really like Furutech connectors... I have seen the CF-102s, they are pricey! I may check them out sometime but I have a hard time believing they can be much better than the 101s which are reasonably priced for top of the line RCA plugs. I have not tried WBT because of the cost and I heard from a source I trust that they have a bright edge to them...

I have no plans to offer a power cord anytime soon... I have experimented with a only a half dozen or so and they sound good vs. a std PC but they are not at the level of my ICs and SCs. The ones I have made use Wattgate connectors, I have not stepped up to higher quality Furutech AC connectors yet, but that's what I'd use if I had the cash.

I am excited about getting 14 gauge Neotech EC-UPOCC wire to make speaker cables with. Currently, the largest gauge is 20g... the 14g will be my OEM product and I will be the only one that has it! I can choose the color too, considering black and white... the inverse color pattern of the 22g I use for my ICs. The 20g speaker cable is awesome, but limited to low power applications. I think the same cable made with 14g wire is going to be great for higher powered systems, and I can make cables with a double run to get down to 11g.

I am also looking into getting 22g Neotech EC-UPOCC silver wire... will have to see what the price ends up being, minimum orders of custom made wire are fairly large and silver isn't cheap these days...

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #25 on: 7 Jun 2013, 05:03 pm »
Just a FYI, I'm running a few auctions on ebay right now with prices starting a bit lower. One especially good deal is the IC cable made from Duelund 1.0 Silver/Silk signal wire, Neotech UPOCC copper ground wire and Furutech FP-101 RCAs starting at only $399, which is less than the retail cost of the parts used to make it... You can hit "see other items" for a full list of the auctions I am running.

I am especially happy to hear my basic IC cable ($140, but there's an auction starting at $115) compares favorably with a highly regarded IC that retails for $1k, the ASI Liveline...

"Dave,

cables came today - thanks so much. They are in place of my ASI Liveline ICs now and are sounding great.

I'll keep you up to date on my impressions,"

-N

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330936215467?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

dodger4

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2013, 06:43 pm »
amazing ICs & Speaker Cables  got some to use on my cary300sei  and my custom shop super6 omegas (by the one and only Louis ) my system now sounds  really superb ,dave cables outperformed my dnm and my now to be sold  $3000 overpriced and overhyped snake oil  garden hose speaker cables, system sounded excellent with the DNM but daves cables sent it to a new level ..soundstage and tonality wise...they are keepers for sure ,,dodger4

mdfoy

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2013, 01:47 am »
I had purchased a standard IC (Dave I) and was really taken by them.  I like the SQ of the OCC wire and already having an example in my system was intrigued by Dave's.  After some time on the Dave I,  I found the SQ exceeded another OCC cable that I had in place. I sent Dave a ping for another IC and Dave was nice enough the offer audition of the Dave II.

Dave I
The signature of the cable is clarity and image focus.  It is like the fuzz is removed from the edges.  On first listen I thought he bass was diminished, but it was in reality just tighter.  This became even more so after some time on the cables.  They just got cleaner and tighter.  Voice is presently nicely and pace an tone are right on.  Cassandra Wilson, James Taylor, Sade,  the tone and warmth of the mids and treble are very good and clear as a bell.  A caveat is I have monitor speakers that go pretty low for monitors, but they are monitors.  All of the bass is there, an example is Cassandra Wilson, Loverly, The Very Thought of you. If you don't have any Cassandra Wilson in your collection, you are really missing out.  Piano is done very well, no stridency or muddiness. Keith Jarrett, Kohln Concert is a beautiful thing. 

Dave II
Everything the Dave I does, the Dave II does better.  This is not night and day, but clearly better in every way.  The noise floor is lower and has even more clarity, liveliness, tone, note decay... Everything is just better. On Cassandra Wilson. Loverly, Dust My Broom, the lead in drum and transition to the bass, the guitar! Off the chain!. Another example, James Taylor, Nearness of You, Don't Let Me be Lonely Tonight. The warmth and tone of his voice is right on.

I really like the Dave I, but the Dave II is in another league.  Benz and AMG, both good, but....

I thank Dave for the opportunity to audition the Dave II IC, which I have purchased.  I definitely want give a listen to the higher power speaker cables when available.  The cost to performance ratio of his offerings is way off the scale.

My system
Amp             Odyssey Khartago mono's ++
Pre              Response Audio Bella-Max(Purity One prototype)
DAC             NorthStar M192
Transport    NorthStar M192
Speaker      Salk HT1   
Phono         Heed Quasar
TT               Thorens TD-125 MKII

IC                Source to pre - Soundstring
IC                Pre to amp - Dave II - replacing Dave I
IC                Phono to pre - Clarity Cable - Harvest
SP               Coz bi-wire
Music
Cassandra Wilson, Loverly
Michael Brecker, Nearness of You
Sade, Lovers Rock
Keith Jarrett, Kohln Concert
Tord Guvstavsen, The Ground

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2013, 02:05 am »
Great review, mdfoy!!! :thumb:

You should definitely post a link to it in the Cable Reviews section, if not move it there entirely. 

Other than that, did someone say 'cable tour'?  :wink:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:21 pm »
dodger4 and mdfoy, I really appreciate your reviews, thank you!  :thumb:

I am very happy everyone likes these cables, the response has exceeded my expectations.  :D

JerryM, yes I will do a cable tour. I am considering waiting until I get the 14 gauge EC-UPOCC wire in from Neotech so I can make 14 gauge speaker cables. It will be here in about a month... but maybe I should do ICs and SCs as separate tours?

ZLS

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:46 pm »
    Yes, do the IC's as a separate tour. 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2013, 08:57 pm »
OK, I will start a thread for an IC tour as soon as I catch up with building cables!  :D

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #32 on: 8 Jul 2013, 09:44 pm »
Tour is posted here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118081.0

Also, I did some updates to my website...  :)

xsb7244

« Reply #33 on: 9 Jul 2013, 09:26 pm »
After doing some reading, it seems that Furutech is the way to go which is why Dave uses Furutech.  For example BigE a diy guy switched over to Furutech FP903(G) RCA jack.  He said do not underestimate the effect of good RCA jacks.  Also Furutech makes good IEC inlets.

xsb7244

« Reply #34 on: 9 Jul 2013, 09:39 pm »
I forgot to mention the Furutech binding post.  Some believe this is the best and makes a big difference.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:58 pm »
Hi xsb,

I agree that good connectors and jacks make a fairly large difference in sound, especially if your gear uses steel wiring connectors and large, cheap binding posts. It is worth it to go through your equipment and replace the signal wiring and connectors with high quality parts.

I am impressed with Furutech's design and sound quality, I think they make the best connectors on the market. They do make some parts that are outrageously expensive, but the parts I choose to use in my cables are a great value.

xsb7244

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2013, 06:29 pm »
Again from my research , it is a safe bet to use Furutech.  When it comes to wall outlet/receptacle and wall plate/cover everybody has a different opinion.  One of these days I will get rid of my cheap one that came with the house.  What do you guys like?

borism

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jul 2013, 06:48 pm »
I replaced the wall outlet with a Hubbell 5362 cryo-treated one (~ $30) and found a great improvement. There is a thread in the PLR circle I started on this topic. However, opinions vary on this subject.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 16 Jul 2013, 05:23 pm »
I have not tried out many different electric receptacles, but I currently use a Leviton MRI82-T, which is hospital grade and specified for MRI rooms as it does not have any magnetic parts:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=MRI82-T&section=42416&minisite=10251

I have my amp and a SurgeX SX1115-RT plugged directly into the receptacle, with everything else plugged into the SurgeX. The receptacle made a noticeable improvement in sound quality in my system, and I plan on replacing the receptacles in the Surge X with the Leviton MRI receptacles in the near future.

It would be nice to try out some "audiophile" receptacles made by Furutech and others sometime as well... I do wonder how much of an improvement they might make over the Leviton.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #39 on: 17 Jul 2013, 04:03 pm »
I have detailed pricing on the 14 gauge wire and speaker cable now.

The 14 gauge Neotech EC-UPOCC copper wire will sell for $8.59/ft.

I am going to make it available in bulk as well as finished speaker cable so people can use it for internal speaker wiring, crossovers, hook up wire inside amps, etc.

One caveat is that tinning the ends will require a solder pot, but a high wattage soldering iron with a large tip may work as well.

I will have an introductory price on speaker cable, the deal will be you get a finished set of speaker cables for the price of parts!

So an 8' set of SCs costs $275 without connectors. The connector prices are listed below, I can also do half spades and half bananas of course.

The "FP" and "FT" type connectors come with either Gold or Rhodium plating, prices are listed for both in G/R format.

Add $96/$172 for Furutech FP-200B(G/R) Bananas
Add $290/350 for Furutech FT-212(G/R) Bananas
Add $900 for Furutech CF-202(R) Bananas

Add $140/180 for Furutech FP-201(G/R) Spades
Add $250/280 for Furutech FT-211(G/R) Spades
Add $725 for Furutech CF-201(R) Spades

I think the best bang for your buck is with the FP-201(G) spades, an 8 foot set would cost $415. With half FP spades and half FP bananas the price would be $393.

In the future I do plan on actually charging for cable construction, but for now I would like to get as many cables out there as I can  :thumb: