BRYSTON PHILOSOPHY

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON PHILOSOPHY
« Reply #40 on: 28 Dec 2015, 12:47 pm »
Dear James

This is babu from singapore , I finally sold my 4b SST2 here in singapore because of the issue with the board twice,  But now i am using (   Temporary)  Musical Fidelity M6 i

I really miss the Bryston , ...... The  Warmth and the  no fatigue sound from my Bryston 4B SST2 .    I was thinking of Buying the Merril Audio  Class D or the  ATSAH  Class D  Power amp , 

They say the future now is with Class D ,  Because it runs cool ,    So  Can i seek your opinion on the comment about Class D.  kindly let me know your opinion.

Thanks

Hi

We do have some Class D amplifiers but mainly for Zone applications. We still feel Class AB designs are superior to Class D designs but many will disagree.

james

doveman

« Reply #41 on: 29 Dec 2015, 10:56 pm »
The only people I hear about touting D class as the next big thing are the manufacturers trying to sell them.

If you are worried about heat generation or power consumption then D is probably the way to go, otherwise as James says A or more likely AB is a better bet.

I think D is like wanting a sports car but then worrying about fuel consumption so getting a small engine.

Samurai7595

« Reply #42 on: 30 Dec 2015, 03:06 pm »
I think D is like wanting a sports car but then worrying about fuel consumption so getting a small engine.

If you want Class D with "balls" and amazing sound, have a look at the Devialet integrated amps.

These units are absolutely amazing!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

doveman

« Reply #43 on: 31 Dec 2015, 05:21 am »
If you want Class D with "balls" and amazing sound, have a look at the Devialet integrated amps.

Sorry, my analogy probably wasn't the easiest to follow, I was trying to point out suitability rather than power. Perhaps a better one would be wanting a sports car and then buying one with a diesel engine rather than petrol. 

I'm not sure that Devialet is for me, they are class D and use switchmode power supplies.

With what I do know about electronics these are both compromises, this is why I like Bryston, class AB, toroidal transformers, handmade, and attention to quality.

Xinon

« Reply #44 on: 31 Dec 2015, 12:20 pm »

Ive had Devialet 240, in fact I had two.
Bryston is more to my liking soundwise, Devialet is kind of a boring sound imho, but it looks nice  8)

Samurai7595

« Reply #45 on: 31 Dec 2015, 03:38 pm »
Ive had Devialet 240, in fact I had two.
Bryston is more to my liking soundwise, Devialet is kind of a boring sound imho, but it looks nice  8)

Interesting, I went from BP26/4BSST2/BDA2 to Devialet 200 and find the Devialet to be better on all parameters: faster, more dynamic, better defined bass/mid/highs and bigger sound stage.

Having said that, I've kept my BCD-1 and BDP-2!   :thumb:

That's the beauty of this industry...

Xinon

« Reply #46 on: 31 Dec 2015, 04:55 pm »
Interesting, I went from BP26/4BSST2/BDA2 to Devialet 200 and find the Devialet to be better on all parameters: faster, more dynamic, better defined bass/mid/highs and bigger sound stage.

Having said that, I've kept my BCD-1 and BDP-2!   :thumb:

That's the beauty of this industry...

Sure it depends on speaker etc  :thumb:
I also play mostly rock and Blues, Bryston in my system have better rytm and deeper more pronounced bass  8) Devialet became a little thin and fatiguing.
I also kept my Bdp2. never got the AIR Play to work 100%, what I loved was the look, its the best looking high end out there  :D

tulysses

« Reply #47 on: 31 Dec 2015, 07:53 pm »
Just wanted to mention the outstanding support I received from Gary Dayton when a newly purchased BUC1 didn't work in my system (into a BDA1) out of the box. Ultimately I needed some changes to my music player software, but Gary went above and beyond in updating the BUC1 software and insuring it was properly set up. He is a very knowledgeable guy and also really cares. If the world had more like him it would be a better place.

Rod_S

« Reply #48 on: 3 Jan 2016, 02:50 pm »
I suppose this in no surprise given the subject but there is a lot of talk about how great the new Theta Digital class D amps are over on AVS in the Theta thread. The amps being discussed are the Dreadnaught D and Prometheus. I feel there might be a bit to much fanboyism going on to keep all objectivity in check there but it does cause one to raise an eyebrow as it were and take notice. I see NAD amps getting mentioned occasionally as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:05 pm »
Sorry wrong post

james

scirica

« Reply #50 on: 22 Jan 2016, 03:10 pm »
Just wanted to mention the outstanding support I received from Gary Dayton when a newly purchased BUC1 didn't work in my system (into a BDA1) out of the box. Ultimately I needed some changes to my music player software, but Gary went above and beyond in updating the BUC1 software and insuring it was properly set up. He is a very knowledgeable guy and also really cares. If the world had more like him it would be a better place.

Gary has been a great help to me as well!  As a matter of fact, my first pair of Model T's ended up at his house when they had a little finish issue. He came to my home (with James) and boxed up the old speakers then proceeded to set up my new T's! How's that for service??

Mbain

« Reply #51 on: 24 Mar 2016, 10:36 pm »
James,
     Several years ago I purchased a bdp-1 and have been very satisfied with my purchase.  Recently I have been considering upgrading to the bdp-2 for a variety of reasons, chief among them is the new audio card currently used in the bdp-2.  The problem is that although I could afford to make the purchase if I stretched my budget, I can' t help but feel that I am the victim of built in obsolescence.  It would be nice if Bryston would consider the implementation of an upgrade policy that would offer a trade in of older products toward the purchase of upgraded new products.  I know a few audio companies do have this type of policy in place.  It would be wonderful if Bryston offered the same to go along with their industry leading product support.  Food for thought perhaps.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #52 on: 25 Mar 2016, 03:52 am »
To their credit, they do offer upgrades, such as the previous SST-2 series amps to S3. I believe James also mentioned they were using a socketed DAC chip in the BDA-3 to support possible future upgrades for current owners.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be able to trade in my BDA-2 for a BDA-3, but you can always sell an older model and upgrade to a newer one that way too.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 25 Mar 2016, 10:25 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes sadly there comes a point where the technology changes so rapidly (Digital) that there is no cost effective way to modify or upgrade current units. We do try as best we can when designing new products but sometimes it is just not possible and selling the older unit to purchase the newer unit is the better cost effective option for the customer.

Also as a company we do not make large margins so it really is impossible for us to 'take back' previously sold product as a trade in etc.

james

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #54 on: 25 Mar 2016, 03:21 pm »
To their credit, they do offer upgrades, such as the previous SST-2 series amps to S3.

really !?  :o
where / when was that upgrade announced?
I remember to have read about it, but as possible future development.

Not that I'm in a rush, my 4B-SST² is far from Ontario.
But good to know I may have the chance.

Fernando.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #55 on: 25 Mar 2016, 10:15 pm »
I'm jumping a bit. Last I read, engineering at Bryston is working out what seem to be final details for the upgrades. I believe James is hoping to have something formal out relatively soon. Sorry if I overstated.

Fernando

« Reply #56 on: 9 Apr 2016, 02:42 am »
James, these could be understood as a couple of philosophical questions, but why not feasible?:

1- I think the BP-26 (the BP-25 too) could offer an optional LED in the volume pot, so to tell in low light where the up-down attenuation actually is. And to know where to grasp it quickly in low light conditions. Same for the BHA-1. I must use a small lamplight to perform these checks, and the lamplight tends to disappear in my dimly lit listening room.

2- As for the BHA-1, I cannot think of a good reason why its volume control is not remote controllable - I think its potentiometer could be offered with a remote control as an optional feature. And a LED just like the proposed option for the BP-26.

Wish you could have a couple of minutes to read and consider this-

Fernando

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 9 Apr 2016, 10:12 am »
James, these could be understood as a couple of philosophical questions, but why not feasible?:

1- I think the BP-26 (the BP-25 too) could offer an optional LED in the volume pot, so to tell in low light where the up-down attenuation actually is. And to know where to grasp it quickly in low light conditions. Same for the BHA-1. I must use a small lamplight to perform these checks, and the lamplight tends to disappear in my dimly lit listening room.

2- As for the BHA-1, I cannot think of a good reason why its volume control is not remote controllable - I think its potentiometer could be offered with a remote control as an optional feature. And a LED just like the proposed option for the BP-26.

Wish you could have a couple of minutes to read and consider this-

Fernando

Hi Fernando

Yes we could add those features but it would be a redesign - for example the BP26 would also need a remote receiver design as well as a different volume control with some kind of lighting etc.  The BP26 was designed many years ago and remote control was not all that common back then.  The BP-17 preamp which is a newer design does have remote volume and full remote source control as well. A lot of it is a timing issue.

The BHA being a headphone amp was design with the assumption that the headphone listener would be in close proximity to the unit (due to headphone cable) but in hindsight when we added the preamp out feature it would have helped to offer a remote volume but that again would involve a redesign as well.

james

Fernando

« Reply #58 on: 9 Apr 2016, 06:59 pm »
Hi Fernando

Yes we could add those features but it would be a redesign - for example the BP26 would also need a remote receiver design as well as a different volume control with some kind of lighting etc.  The BP26 was designed many years ago and remote control was not all that common back then.  The BP-17 preamp which is a newer design does have remote volume and full remote source control as well. A lot of it is a timing issue.

The BHA being a headphone amp was design with the assumption that the headphone listener would be in close proximity to the unit (due to headphone cable) but in hindsight when we added the preamp out feature it would have helped to offer a remote volume but that again would involve a redesign as well.

james

James,

AFAIK, the BP26 does have a remote receiver, and so does the BP25.
Neither of these, nor the BP17, offer a LED on the volume knob.
Personally, I don't care about other remote controllable features other than volume pot. - with a LED on it. The BP-17 doesn't seem to have a LED there.

And I much prefer the BP26/25 design.

The BHA1 would benefit of a remote receiver and a LED on its volume pot. - because a 3 meter headphone cable _is_ far away, when I'm lying in the dimly lit whereabouts, very properly immersed in music and only my right thumb may push something.
Let alone when the preamp out was implemented.

I hope I can wait for the redesigns ...  :)

Fernando.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #59 on: 9 Apr 2016, 08:18 pm »
Don't hold your breath for the redesigns. Nit-pickin', imo.

Better priorities like lowering distortion. Not that there's much dist. to begin with.