Takachi kit assembly feedback.

envydd and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 7838 times.

bavmike

• Facilitator
Re: Takachi kit assembly feedback.
« Reply #60 on: 19 Jan 2018, 04:38 pm »
Thanks brother love and micp,
The comments and solutions that owners of the kit are posting are helpful. IMO the issues you all encountered before correcting them will have a more obvious impact on the sound quality than selecting standard/premium cables/ connectors so I hope Mike will address the build quality internally for those of us that upgraded from kit to Purepower as well as those that ordered the SE. Clean layout/spacing, cable routing and good solder joints are more important than external cosmetics to me.

Actually the issue is only with the standard input cable. And it’s been eliminated.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #61 on: 19 Jan 2018, 04:44 pm »
I’ll also add that any of the folks who bought the kits can always trade up to completely assembled amps in the new cases. I will offer 100% original purchase price credit with the trade up. Also 10 year warranty.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #62 on: 19 Jan 2018, 05:05 pm »
I decided for all kit buyers who ordered the Mogami input cables, I’ll be sending you free Neotech copper input cables.

micp

« Reply #63 on: 19 Jan 2018, 05:50 pm »
I decided for all kit buyers who ordered the Mogami input cables, I’ll be sending you free Neotech copper input cables.

Great!!
Thanks a lot.

billc

« Reply #64 on: 19 Jan 2018, 06:07 pm »

Thank you +1

brother love

« Reply #65 on: 19 Jan 2018, 07:04 pm »

+2. Very cool gesture.  8)

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 19 Jan 2018, 07:46 pm »
No problem guys. If I was thinking more clearly in my rush to get them out the door,  I would have upgraded all to begin with like I did the speaker cables for free from Mogami to Neotech OCC copper.

TJHUB

« Reply #67 on: 19 Jan 2018, 08:23 pm »
Mike:  I applaud the lengths I’ve seen you go to make things right for your customers.  Very cool, and a level above expectations.   :thumb:

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 19 Jan 2018, 08:36 pm »
Mike:  I applaud the lengths I’ve seen you go to make things right for your customers.  Very cool, and a level above expectations.   :thumb:

Well if you want to have an successful business you need happy clients. This case design may be a bit cramped, but theres nothing wrong with it other than things are nested a bit tight. Put the connectors on the rear panel first, not after, and won't be an issue. Had I assembled all from the beginning, all folks would be commenting on is the case quality and the sound. Rather than the spacing of the connectors.

I hated those Mogami cables from the beginning. I shouldn't have ever used them. But I paid someone 5 days labor to cut, strip and terminate them. So didn't want to waste them. Looks like I'm tossing all pre-terminated Mogami speaker and input wires the trash. Does anyone want to buy some bulk Mogami speaker and balanced interconnect cable?

gregfisk

• Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #69 on: 19 Jan 2018, 10:04 pm »
Mike, what does the Mogami wire look like? I might be interested in both types, gauge too please.

Thanks Mike.

Greg

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 20 Jan 2018, 03:43 am »
Mike, what does the Mogami wire look like? I might be interested in both types, gauge too please.

Thanks Mike.

Greg

It's the 3082 speaker cable:

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/pure_sound/

And the 2534 star quad:

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Looks like this:

I'll only sell as all or nothing. Don't want to invest a bunch of time into getting rid of it.

debjit.g

« Reply #71 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:54 am »
Got my kit today - DHL delivered one business day before (supposed to be delivered on Monday) which is very very unusual with UPS or Fedex. So that's a big thumbs for choosing DHL  :thumb: I am using 2 amps in monoblock configuration. The first one took some time in understanding the layout, connections etc. The input cables are so delicate, some broke off from the XLR pins - a quick solder fixed it easily. The 2nd one was a breeze and took 30mins or so.

Assembly feedback:
1. the input cables are very delicate - be very careful.
2. attach the connector before screwing the back panel to the bottom
3. the speaker cables will twist one or two time. after that it becomes difficult and tight to get the connector plug into the amp - so don't try twisting it too much.

The Takachi black case really looks nice but I guess the newer ones will even look better. I had some buzz from one of the amp coming from the transformer but I will let it settle down first. When you play bass heavy music, the chassis vibrates very slightly when you put your hand on it - so a good vibration control is likely to help. Right now its burning in and I will leave feedback/initial impression on the other thread.

Overall, I like the kit very much and thanks to Mike for bringing it at such a great price  :thumb:

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 20 Jan 2018, 05:25 am »
Got my kit today - DHL delivered one business day before (supposed to be delivered on Monday) which is very very unusual with UPS or Fedex. So that's a big thumbs for choosing DHL  :thumb: I am using 2 amps in monoblock configuration. The first one took some time in understanding the layout, connections etc. The input cables are so delicate, some broke off from the XLR pins - a quick solder fixed it easily. The 2nd one was a breeze and took 30mins or so.

Assembly feedback:
1. the input cables are very delicate - be very careful.
2. attach the connector before screwing the back panel to the bottom
3. the speaker cables will twist one or two time. after that it becomes difficult and tight to get the connector plug into the amp - so don't try twisting it too much.

The Takachi black case really looks nice but I guess the newer ones will even look better. I had some buzz from one of the amp coming from the transformer but I will let it settle down first. When you play bass heavy music, the chassis vibrates very slightly when you put your hand on it - so a good vibration control is likely to help. Right now its burning in and I will leave feedback/initial impression on the other thread.

Overall, I like the kit very much and thanks to Mike for bringing it at such a great price  :thumb:

Thanks for the feedback dev. Yes the silver/gold input wires are very fragile. They break very easily. Much easier than copper. Another disadvantage with these kits if you don’t know how to solder. Break these delicate wire ends off and it’s no good. Luckily you know how to. Yes the Takachi case is attractive, but aluminum is thin and aluminum is soft so scratches easy. So no free lunch when choosing to save money.

micp

« Reply #73 on: 20 Jan 2018, 03:46 pm »
I have made some checks on the temperature of transfomer during opearation.
I put a thermocouple on the core, top plate on and left the amp run. It stabilizes in around 4 hours.
With 20°C ambient it reached around 51°C.
Looking for comments.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #74 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:00 pm »
MICP,

Nice Keithley bench meter  :thumb:

Per my colleague, T. Christiansen:

The maximum allowable heat sink temperature is the subject of some debate. I would consider 50 °C to be comfortable and 60 °C to be the limit for an external heat sink. 50 °C is definitely hot to the touch, but I can touch the heat sink continuously for a few seconds before I have to remove my hand. 60 °C is hot enough that I can only touch the heat sink for a brief moment (maybe half a second) at a time. It’s definitely hot but not hot enough to leave blisters on brief contact. One can also draw some inspiration from the standards used for kitchen appliances. For example, according to ANSI/UL 858 and ANSI Z21.1, exterior metal surfaces are allowed to reach 66 °C – metal handles and knobs, 55 °C. For an internal heat sink, i.e. a heat sink that is inside a closed enclosure, higher temperatures may be considered reasonable, as long as there is ample ventilation in the chassis and the user cannot access the heat sink through the ventilation holes.

That’s the standard I use for all my builds. And it is good to review ANSI standards as well and how they relate to us as humans in the real world. Safety first!

51 deg C is 123 deg F.

Best,
Anand.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:37 pm »
I put a thermocouple on the core, top plate on and left the amp run. It stabilizes in around 4 hours.
Looking for comments.

Yes transformers in amplifiers get warm. It’s normal. Even when the module is sitting in the open air it gets warm. However I’ve found this module is much cooler on the top side than the older Ice amps.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:38 pm »
MICP,

Nice Keithley bench meter  :thumb:

Per my colleague, T. Christiansen:

That’s the standard I use for all my builds. And it is good to review ANSI standards as well and how they relate to us as humans in the real world. Safety first!

51 deg C is 123 deg F.

Best,
Anand.

Don’t confuse the heatsink with the transformer.

bavmike

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 20 Jan 2018, 04:59 pm »
When we consider that the total amplifier module is rated to even operate in ambient air temperatures of 50C, I don’t think we should be alarmed to see an internal transformer core temp of 51C.

micp

« Reply #78 on: 20 Jan 2018, 05:17 pm »
When we consider that the total amplifier module is rated to even operate in ambient air temperatures of 50C, I don’t think we should be alarmed to see an internal transformer core temp of 51C.

I agree with you. Looking at the datasheet I have discovered that there is a Temp warning ouput which operates on both power supply and amplifier output. The warning for the PSu is 85°C.

back2back

« Reply #79 on: 20 Jan 2018, 05:45 pm »
Looking for comments.

Any idea how hot a Coffee/Espresso is when you put it to your mouth just after it's been poured?