OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!

dminches

Re: OPPO SONICA DAC MODS - UNIT ON THE WAY TO MWI NOW!!!
« Reply #60 on: 24 Mar 2017, 04:18 pm »
There is an amp builder on HeadFi, glenn2359, who may build you a 100% USA built converter. He has made me some allowing the use of 6F8G in place of 6SN7's and USAF 596 in place of 5U4.

He actually built me one to allow for a 6F8G instead of a 6CG7 in a Van Alstine DAC.

JG2

« Reply #61 on: 24 Mar 2017, 04:20 pm »
He actually built me one to allow for a 6F8G instead of a 6CG7 in a Van Alstine DAC.

AND Glenn's work is top notch!

Syrah

« Reply #62 on: 24 Mar 2017, 06:22 pm »
Thanks guys.  It looks like Woo Audio did these at one point too.

Syrah

« Reply #63 on: 31 Mar 2017, 01:46 am »
Can anyone PM me a contact for glenn2359?

modwright

« Reply #64 on: 31 Mar 2017, 02:02 am »
Finally some pictures...Just internals for now.

External power supply and umbilical not shown.  Same enclosure as PS 9.0, but revised voltage for Oppo. Same umbilical as our Truth mods.

Syrah

« Reply #65 on: 14 Apr 2017, 11:26 pm »
I'm looking forward to mine.

Dan - have you tried the 6H30PI in this?  I see that EH makes new ones.  Wondering if it's worth ordering some.

modwright

« Reply #66 on: 15 Apr 2017, 12:49 am »
I have and it operates the unit in a range of slightly higher distortion, but as you know with tubes, this is not always a bad thing.  The 6H30 tube can sound too SS-like, if it is run too hard IMHO.

I am partial so far to the 6922/7308 (DO NOT USE 6DJ8 TUBES - PLATE VOLTAGE IS TOO HIGH!!!).  I also like the sound of the 6CG7, but I think I prefer the 6922 sound.

Dan

Syrah

« Reply #67 on: 15 Apr 2017, 01:03 am »
Oh, glad I posted.  But you like 7dj8 right?  How about these - https://www.musicdirect.com/tubes/ifi-nos-5670-6922-vacuum-tubes-pr

modwright

« Reply #68 on: 15 Apr 2017, 01:53 am »
I do like the 7DJ8, but this is before I realized that this circuit operates at too high of a voltage.  The Elyse DAC uses a different circuit and much lower plate voltages.  I like the 7DJ8 in that and also the PH 150, but again, much lower plate voltages.

The 5670 would work fine.  I have not used this particular tube before however.

Thanks,

Dan

Syrah

« Reply #69 on: 19 Apr 2017, 03:12 pm »
Is this the right adapter to use a 6SN7 in place of the 6922?

https://tubedepot.com/products/6u8-to-7199-adapter

It looks like an 8 pin to 9 pin, I'm just not sure if the pinout is correct.

Thanks.

modwright

« Reply #70 on: 19 Apr 2017, 04:48 pm »
While it is a 9-pin to 8-pin adaptor, the tubes in question are VERY different than the 6SN7 or 6CG7.  I would say no.

JG2

« Reply #71 on: 23 Apr 2017, 05:27 pm »
While it is a 9-pin to 8-pin adaptor, the tubes in question are VERY different than the 6SN7 or 6CG7.  I would say no.

I use a 6SN7 to ECC8 adapter allowing 6SN7 to be used for the 6922 in a Garage 1217 amp. I have several adapters from this seller and they are all well made. Many of the 'exotic' dual tube adapters, used by HeadFi-ers, are also from this E-Bay seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6SN7-6n8p-CV181-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-CMC-ceramic-sock-/191226140400?hash=item2c85f756f0:g:hNwAAOSw6oBXEfjG
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2017, 06:40 pm by JG2 »

Syrah

« Reply #72 on: 24 Apr 2017, 11:53 pm »
Thanks JG2.  I might give this a shot.

modwright

Sonic DAC Mod made a BIG splash at Axpona Chicago last weekend!
« Reply #73 on: 25 Apr 2017, 10:32 pm »
The ModWright Oppo Sonica DAC Tube Mod made its debut in room 530 at Axpona Chicago last weekend.

We had the best show sound to date!  The Sonica DAC was our digital source, fed via WyWires Diamond USB from Mac Mini, streaming digital from Redbook, Hi-Rez to DSD. People were blown away!

The new Ulysses Apollo speaker with proprietary 10" Woofer also made its debut. Driven by 30W SE tube amps (Ambrose 30's), the entire presentation from digital was resolving, harmonically true, fast, dynamic and exciting. The 96dB efficient Apollos with their ultra-fast 10" custom woofer produced tight, deep and controlled bass, showing the ultimate potential of the Sonica DAC mod.

We played a wide variety of music from Jazz to rock, folk to classical and everything we played left people stunned.  The last track we played at 4:30 on Sunday, to a full room, was Hugh Masekela's 'Coal Train'. At the end of the song, everyone just shook their head in silent appreciation.  It was a very exciting show and I am pleased to say that the Oppo Sonica DAC tube mod met all of my expectations, in a system that was already improved in every way, from ModWright, Daedalus Audio and WyWires.

The phone has already started ringing today. If you are interested in tube mods for the Sonica DAC, please call us right away!

Thanks,

Dan

roscoeiii

« Reply #74 on: 26 Apr 2017, 03:51 pm »
Yeah, the Sonica sounded fantastic. Had a great time chatting with Dan and another interested audiophile, and learned a lot. Great stuff!

lancelock

« Reply #75 on: 29 Apr 2017, 01:45 am »
My show demo Sonica came today and what Dan said and then some. I'm happily surprised this unit sounds as good as it does. Its got a wow factor. I don't think Ive ever heard a sound stage this big in my listening room. I am liking this sound better than the DS DAC it is on top of.

Syrah

« Reply #76 on: 29 Apr 2017, 01:54 am »
Mine's on its way.  I'm pretty eager!

lancelock

« Reply #77 on: 1 May 2017, 12:55 am »
The Sonica is holding its own against my 6K DAC and it is so good I'm ordering the Modwright UDP-205 for my HT/2 channel system replacing the old 105. I couldnt wait I already put some of my primo tubes in. I just can't get enough of this sound. It amazes me how a $799 DAC/streamer gets turned into cost no object sounding source.

modwright

« Reply #78 on: 1 May 2017, 04:30 pm »
First of all, thank you Lancelock!  I really appreciate the feedback.

This mod is quite an undertaking in terms of the cost of materials used in the circuit and the R&D involved.  It is the product of years of experience of course, and also benefits from what I have learned from some of our other Remarkable products, including the $8K PH 150 phono, $7K Elyse DAC and the new Ambrose line The One balanced preamp (>$12K) that is heading toward production but has a little ways to go.

The mods allow me to do some pretty great things without as much regard to production costs.  First of all, it is a factor direct model, so our markup is less.  Secondly, if we pick the right products, we have an exceptional starting point, and can address the key weaknesses.  Also, we don't have the cost of a custom enclosure and all of the engineering that goes into that.  That leaves me with the task of picking the RIGHT products to modify, design the ideal circuit to address the products weaknesses and capitalize on its strengths.  Lastly, I have to figure out how to adapt our circuit electronically and physically into the existing product.

In the case of the Oppo Sonica DAC and UDP-205 - identical analog sage and DAC - the analog circuitry that we have designed is the same for both models.  For the 205 it is simply a matter of adapting the mechanical layout to the player and also see what other areas can be upgraded in the player itself.

The results we achieved and feedback we received from Axpona showed me that we had hit a Home Run with this one!

We are taking two Sonica's and one UDP-205 to the LA Audio Show (LAAS), the first week fo June.  I do sell all of my show demos, so if you are interested, please contact us right away.  I believe the player is already sold, but the DACs may still be available.

Thanks,

Dan Wright

Syrah

« Reply #79 on: 20 May 2017, 10:21 pm »
This might be more appropriate somewhere else, but I'm so close to hearing my Sonica it's killing me.

JRiver won't play.  When I go to Options, I can see OPPO USB AUDIO 2.0 ASIO Driver [ASIO].

But when I try to play it tells me "Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using the format '44.1kHz 2ch'...

When I try selecting other Audio Device, it looks like it's playing on JRiver, but no sound comes out.

Anyone?

Thanks.