"$80,000 per download"

SET Man

"$80,000 per download"
« on: 20 Jun 2009, 02:39 am »
Hey!

Came across this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tec_music_downloading;_ylt=AuwD.khJAQsd0pl9VDtGRbp0fNdF

And the worst part I think is that they are on low-res MP3 that sound like crap anyway  :duh:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: "$80,000 per download"
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2009, 04:46 am »
Hey!

Came across this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tec_music_downloading;_ylt=AuwD.khJAQsd0pl9VDtGRbp0fNdF

And the worst part I think is that they are on low-res MP3 that sound like crap anyway  :duh:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Yep, the RIAA does the Darth Vader thing. How endearing.  :roll:

I'd love to know the full playlist, though. For what this set cost, it just has to sound killer, doesn't it?  :icon_lol:

Have fun,
Jerry

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:20 am »
The recording industry has blamed online piracy for declines in music sales...

Yeah....right. :shake:

Might it just be the crappy music they put out now.... :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:29 am »

Might it just be the crappy music they put out now.... ;)

You wouldn't be trashin' rap w/ them baggy pants, now are ya Wolfy? Bet you're just missing them days when you were wearing them package-highlighting spandex pants while rockin' out. :rock: :guitar: :rotflmao:

Cheers,
Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:35 am »

You wouldn't be trashin' rap w/ them baggy pants, now are ya Wolfy? Bet you're just missing them days when you were wearing them package-highlighting spandex pants while rockin' out. :rock: :guitar: :rotflmao:

Cheers,
Robin

"White Punks On Dope..." :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:45 am »

Cheers,
Robin

"White Punks On Dope..." :lol:

You'll always have yur memories,,, some of them anywho. :jester:

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2009, 12:42 pm »
At 80 grand a song, she could have hired each of the bands and had them play in her back yard then still have plenty of money left over for a few kegs and some BBQ.

I wonder if she gets to keep the songs or if they wiped them off her hard drive.

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2009, 01:04 pm »
To be technically accurate, it wasn't $80,000 "per download", but $80,000 per song being served to the internet. 

There's no way she can keep the songs, because the hard drive containing them broke and they didn't find copies of the songs on her current hard drive. 

It's very surprising that such a large sum was awarded.  Even the record companies supposedly aren't happy about that because it makes them look vindictive.  A judgment for $1k-2k per song would have played in their favor better since it would have sounded reasonable, but been sufficiently higher than their typical settlement offers ($3k-5k) that people would still be motivated to settle. 

jermmd

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2009, 01:39 pm »
What's with juries in Minnesota? Trial by your peers? I'd like to think my peers would be a little more reasonable. Can you imagine being on the jury and the other jurors suggesting a $1,000,000 fine. :o

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2009, 02:43 pm »
At 80 'large', the fine for some of us would be enough to bail out a major car company if we got busted on Kazaa.    :lol:

Bob

Stu Pitt

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:01 am »

Might it just be the crappy music they put out now.... :wink:

I couldn't agree more.  Who's the last band or performer to revolutionize music and actually make it worth buying again?

Nirvana and Pearl Jam in the early 90's?  Tool a few years later?  (although they didn't have anywhere near the commercial success as Nirvana and PJ)  I haven't heard anything original in a very long time. 

I can't remember the last 'new' album I bought.  Most have been vinyl re-issues or Greatest Hits type CDs of some bands I think have a few good songs, but don't want to waste my money on buying their entire catalog.

I just remembered...  I think the last new CD I bought was Metallica's Death Magnetic, and Tool's 10,000 Days before that.  2 new CDs in about 3 years.  At least 10,000 Days' music quality and sound quality were good.