Crossover upgrades/mod(s) for newer MMG's

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
Re: Crossover upgrades/mod(s) for newer MMG's
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2012, 12:37 am »
Yessir, I saw Dawnrazor's sticky on MUG home. What did that mod do for you?

jk@home

« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2012, 12:46 am »
I did one speaker at a time, and could physically feel the reduction of vibration produced by the pole piece that had the stuff on it.

mike_p

• You Never Blow Your Trip Forever
« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:59 am »
And sonically?

jk@home

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2012, 11:35 am »
My feelings are the speakers can be played louder, with less distortion. My experience has been that my MMGs need to be played a certain level to sound best, but start to go over that level too much and things get ugly. The Razor mod has a similar effect as is said when reframing the speakers in wood, pushing that threshold up and cleaning up the sound.

On the subject of reframing the MMGs, whether or not you subscribe to the wood frame's ability to absorb unwanted vibrations (and how much), one fact became apparent when I did mine. The custom frames I built have the same width and depth as a pair of MG12s, but a shorter height. I did this to use a MG12 sock over them, if desired. When inquiring about the "nude" dimensions of the MG12 (who's driver is only slightly larger than the MMGs), I was surprised to find out the depth of that frame is over twice as thick. Made my OEM frames seem quite toyish. The new frames are much more substantial.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2012, 12:50 pm »
JK, that was very well stated.

I'll only add a curious observation that I made after framing my MMGs in hardwood. I can't say precisely what (the wood itself, the more secure mounting of the panels, I may have even slightly altered (changed their 'cupping') the geometry of the panels) did the trick, but my MMGs had a case of 'the slap' which re-framing cured. This was a surprise and I think it's just the other side of the 'cleaning up the sound' coin (but I could be wrong about that). It was a pronounced and easily repeatable (just put on 'Three Wishes' from Roger Water's 'Amused to Death') phenomenon prior to the surgery; afterwards, it simply didn't happen unless I really cranked the volume (even then, the behavior was different).

It sounds like you gathered lots of good ideas and then combined them in a way that suited your needs. That's a smart approach. :thumb:

jk@home

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:07 pm »
Hey Kevin (Wazoo), I'm johnvb at that other forum, so I know you are familiar with my stuff. (in a non-TSA kinda way)  :D