Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

sebrof

« Reply #380 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:09 pm »
It's certainly worth experimenting with the length of the Omen feet to get the right clearance from the floor to improve the bass.

When I used the stock feet and spikes I found the bass too boomy. Now that they are raised 2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear it's much better. I may try even longer 3/8 inch lag bolts to see how the Omens respond to even greater distances off the floor.

90% of my music is small group jazz and the Omens cover the double bass range well.
Since I last posted I played a little with the gap (bottom of speaker to floor). Aside from drastic room position changes, this altered the sound of the Omens more than anything else, including going from a 4 watt 2A3 SET to a vintage 150 watt Yamaha receiver. 1/4" to 1/2" changes. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with my room, it is small and cube-ish, and bass has always been an issue in here. I'll say that some of the posters who reported improvements when tilting the speakers were actually hearing the effect of changing the gap, not changing the tilt (but I'm only guessing).
Just my 2 cents.

morganc

« Reply #381 on: 4 Jan 2011, 06:38 pm »
I too noticed dramatic changes with very small changes in room placement and you may very well be correct that the big difference was the elevation off of the ground.  Also my bass did go from boomy to much more clear definition and a more rapid decay with the elevation and with small changes in placement.  I found the best placement for me to be around 3 feet or so off of the back wall.  I followed ZU's placement guidelines and found them to be very helpful. 

Since I last posted I played a little with the gap (bottom of speaker to floor). Aside from drastic room position changes, this altered the sound of the Omens more than anything else, including going from a 4 watt 2A3 SET to a vintage 150 watt Yamaha receiver. 1/4" to 1/2" changes. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with my room, it is small and cube-ish, and bass has always been an issue in here. I'll say that some of the posters who reported improvements when tilting the speakers were actually hearing the effect of changing the gap, not changing the tilt (but I'm only guessing).
Just my 2 cents.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #382 on: 4 Jan 2011, 07:46 pm »
For those with carpet, try putting a ceramic or stone tile underneath.  This will have a nice effect on the bass.

djbnh

« Reply #383 on: 4 Jan 2011, 10:49 pm »
Just my 2 cents.
I incrementally changed the gap, tilt, placement from rear walls, and placement from side walls incrementally, and think I have the Defs pretty much dialed in. My mono amps have had no issue with providing plenty of clean power, so that's not an issue.

FYI - I note the new Zu brochure lists the Omen Defs at $3,100, up from the Dec. price of $2,800.  :scratch: Guess that Nov. Black Friday sale might have been the lowest price point on these going forward.

djbnh

« Reply #384 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:59 am »
After more burn-in the Defs are sounding even better, much less congested for sure which tells me they still have a bit more burn-in to go. I also got the idea last night from my "fun-sized" spouse to lower the speakers by taking them off the granite slabs (she was using a large pillow to try to have her ears at about the same height as mine, and mentioned that perhaps I should try to use less thickness under the speakers.). I hit Home Depot on the way to work in the AM and picked up a couple 18" square stone tiles (about 1/4" height), installed when I got home, and kept the rest of the measurements the same. I've got even more focused images within a deeper and wider soundstage, and the bass seems a bit better (note: no Gabriel tonight, will try that tomorrow and see how much of that missing bass might have worked into the equation). The Defs play very nicely with an assortment of classical pieces, which is a treat.  :thumb:

When I used the stock feet and spikes I found the bass too boomy. Now that they are raised 2 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear it's much better. I may try even longer 3/8 inch lag bolts to see how the Omens respond to even greater distances off the floor.
I'm not sure how the above would work with the Defs, as they're a taller speaker than the Omens. If anyone with Defs tries this, I'd like to know how it turned out.

evsentry3

« Reply #385 on: 8 Jan 2011, 02:07 am »
Have you watched the video on the front page of the Zu site?  The making of the Omen Def.  Cool....love it!!  I'm gonna have to watch it again I think! 

Shows how serious they are about building nice speakers.  It wasn't there just the other day.

EV3

Gopher

« Reply #386 on: 8 Jan 2011, 02:22 am »

Anyone have any idea what the intro pricing of the Dominance will be?   :lol:

Pure secks

djbnh

Have you watched the video on the front page of the Zu site?  The making of the Omen Def.  Cool....love it!!  I'm gonna have to watch it again I think! 

Shows how serious they are about building nice speakers.  It wasn't there just the other day.

EV3
Nice find, thank you.

It's been three days after I removed the granite slabs from under the Omen Defs and it's been uphill since then, in some ways remarkable to me looking back at my earlier comments. Since I got the Defs I've been mostly burning them in 24/7, with assorted listening intervals of assorted music. Some of the changes for the better in the last three days include the end of the congestion, the appearance and settling in of very decent usable bass (I still think some might want to use a sub, but I am now vacillating regarding the cost/benefit of purchasing and using one). Detail and body on recordings is even more realistic & palpable, and compellingly draws you in to the music / gets the toes to tapping. Instrument and vocal placement has firmed up  more. There's noticeable increases in the soundstage area including the areas to the outside and rear of the speaker planes.

So yes - I've gone from questioner to believer. The Zu Omen Defs and Zu's Black Friday sale price of $1,800 is proving to be a sound investment for the spouse and I (counting that now I'd possibly like to change over my pre including to one with a remote; however, with the $ I saved that's more than possible). The fit and finish of Zu's product are more pluses (I've the natural maple and it works quite nicely in the music room).

Nits are really none at the $1,800 delivered-to-NH price. Sure, it'd be nice to have better spikes (need to order some), but that would have hiked the price. Getting more of the last octave of bass surely would have ticked the price up, too. And having Zu do the burn-in of the Omen Defs would have added even more $ (and I firmly believe they do need gobs of burn-in). I found speaker placement, height including angle front-to-rear, and toe-in critically important in setting the Omen Defs in my audio room, so you might want to grab a friend's ears to help with placement.

YMMV. Happy listening. Thanks to Zu, and to those forum members whose postings got me initially interested.  :beer:

Edit: it's been a few weeks now. Probably no need for a sub.  8)
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2011, 03:11 pm by djbnh »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #388 on: 8 Jan 2011, 04:25 am »
The weight of those heavy Zu motors in the front of the cabinet will offset the one inch back tilt even on taller feet. I'd have to make an concerted effort to topple my Omens.

I tried them on 12X12 vinyl wrapped concrete pavers but a better solution for my hardwood floors were ribbed industrial carpet mats from HD. I cut them into 4 12X12 squares, glued the rubber sides together and ran the ribbed carpeted sides parallel with the speaker fronts. They sound better, look good and the monsters can be moved ( slid ) without getting a hernia.

I like mine positioned 3 1/2 ft out from the room corners and toed in.

morganc

« Reply #389 on: 8 Jan 2011, 06:15 am »
[quote author=djbnh link=topic=86177.msg887119#msg887119 date=129428636

I raised my Omen Defs up by installing if I can remember correctly 2 3/4" in the front and 1.5" black bolts in the rear and I noticed a very nice improvement in bass.   I then glued felt on the bottom of each bolt and I can now easily re-position each speaker.   I agree you need a partner to facilitate the positioning as each small change produces a very easily identifiable improvement.    The bolts are perfectly stable, easily movable, and a relatively inexpensive tweak. 

I am glad to hear that you, dgbnh are feeling better about your purchase.   I agree the breakin period is quite long, the potential tweaks are extensive, and the improvements great.  What new integrated with remote are you looking at?  I have the Melody I2A3 and am looking to upgrade soon to the new one with remote or switch to separates so that I can get a pre with remote. 

Cheers,
Morgan

morganc

« Reply #390 on: 8 Jan 2011, 06:38 am »

Pure secks

The price is $40,000!!!   Please
Invite me over when you get a pair:)

ton1313

« Reply #391 on: 8 Jan 2011, 12:41 pm »
Check out the new video that Zu posted on their website. It highlights the manufacturing process of the Omen Def's. Very neat, and interesting music.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #392 on: 8 Jan 2011, 01:27 pm »
I used shiny silver lag bolt feet which match all the bright silver trim work on my black Omens. With the lag bolts the threads are only about an inch long so they aren't visible and really look like custom feet.

Before switching to the bolt feet I tried the factory spikes but the weight of these puppies came close to punching holes through the oriental rugs they were resting on at the time.

For those who haven't seen the ghost black Omens in person they have these gorgeous smoke gray swirls that run throughout the grain. Don't think I've seen a sexier speaker.

djbnh

« Reply #393 on: 8 Jan 2011, 09:57 pm »

Check the information about these in audioreview's notes about the 2011 CES, scroll halfway down the page to see / read.

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
Re: Zu Omen Break-in & Evaluation
« Reply #394 on: 10 Jan 2011, 07:51 pm »
An update on my Omens:
It is still frustrating as I now have what must be "close to and perhaps over" the 400 hr mark.  The speakers are now placed on stands to get the tweeter at ear level for my particular listening postion.  Just as I think they are "settled in" and stable, they change again... :duh:

But to a more positive presentation... so I am continuing to see a moving target but thankfully moving to the more cohesive side and the bass is beginning to become better integrated.  Can't draw any conclusions yet as there may be even more to come.   

I am beginning to think that the 400 hour mark may be a little optimistic for the selection & grade of parts in these in my system. As always YMMV...I am rolling up fast on my 60 day trial date. I am glad it is moving in the right direction but man it is taking a lot of time :roll:

Mariusz, would you care to status us on your pair breaking in...Thanks and
Best Regards

Gopher

« Reply #395 on: 10 Jan 2011, 08:23 pm »
You aren't alone there.  I've heard of other Zu owners reporting hearing break in continuing throughout the first YEAR of ownership.  I don't recall how long my Soul Superflys took, but after the first couple months some variables started changing in the system and everything was continually improving...

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
Zu Omen - Break-in
« Reply #396 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:09 pm »
You aren't alone there.  I've heard of other Zu owners reporting hearing break in continuing throughout the first YEAR of ownership.  I don't recall how long my Soul Superflys took, but after the first couple months some variables started changing in the system and everything was continually improving...

I wonder if this is unique to Zu spec drivers / capacitors / wiring / hardware or do other Eminence based "fullrange drivers" have this similar curve... :roll:

Sam-fi

« Reply #397 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:14 pm »
I have heard an improvement in some of the congestion lifting around the 300 hour mark. I should be hitting the fabled 400 mark by this Friday. Great timing if you ask me?
Time to invite some friends over.    :thumb:

Gopher

Re: Zu Omen - Break-in
« Reply #398 on: 10 Jan 2011, 09:31 pm »
I wonder if this is unique to Zu spec drivers / capacitors / wiring / hardware or do other Eminence based "fullrange drivers" have this similar curve... :roll:

I'm not sure, but I noticed this too with other full range drivers I've owned including the Fostex drivers (both the near field and regular) for my Cain & Cain Abbys.

morganc

« Reply #399 on: 11 Jan 2011, 05:53 am »
What are you using beneath the bolts?  Do you have a photo?  What differences did you notice at different levels of elevation and tilting?
Thanks,
Morgan

I used shiny silver lag bolt feet which match all the bright silver trim work on my black Omens. With the lag bolts the threads are only about an inch long so they aren't visible and really look like custom feet.

Before switching to the bolt feet I tried the factory spikes but the weight of these puppies came close to punching holes through the oriental rugs they were resting on at the time.

For those who haven't seen the ghost black Omens in person they have these gorgeous smoke gray swirls that run throughout the grain. Don't think I've seen a sexier speaker.