Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

vinyl_lady

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #840 on: 29 May 2011, 01:25 am »
U2 -- Invesco Field at Mile High, Denver CO May 21, 2011. As PeteG said, the stage is incredible. The sound was decent for a large stadium show from our seats. The screen at the top of the stage (pictures 2 & 4) extended down (pictures 1 & 3) and was the source of an incredible light show. The Fray opened and between bands the screen displayed some interesting factoids.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #841 on: 29 May 2011, 02:57 am »
 I know what you folks mean about the sound at stadium shows. The U2 extravaganza rolls through here real soon and I won't be there. If I want to experience a great big thing off in the distance making a loud unintelligible sound and flashing lights at me, I'll go hang out at the airport...

Saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings last weekend - outstanding ! Don't miss them if the chance comes up!

D.D.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #842 on: 29 May 2011, 04:37 am »
I know what you folks mean about the sound at stadium shows. The U2 extravaganza rolls through here real soon and I won't be there. If I want to experience a great big thing off in the distance making a loud unintelligible sound and flashing lights at me, I'll go hang out at the airport...

D.D.

It was a great show! Already the highest grossing show ever. Going again next Saturday in Seattle after seeing Buffalo Springfield in Oakland on the 2d. :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #843 on: 29 May 2011, 04:46 am »
Paul Simon at DAR Constitution Hall, Washington DC, May 25. I was there on business and scored a 7th row center orchestra seat on ticketzoom.com 30 minutes before the show started for $72. Both Paul and his band were terrific.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #844 on: 29 May 2011, 04:52 am »
It was a great show! Already the highest grossing show ever. Going again next Saturday in Seattle after seeing Buffalo Springfield in Oakland on the 2d. :thumb:

Hi :  Don't get me wrong - no disrespect intended towards either U2 or your appreciation thereof. I just don't like stadium concerts in general.

D.D

putz

« Reply #845 on: 29 May 2011, 05:02 am »

D.D.

I saw them last year at the New Meadowlands Stadium and it was just too over the top. It didn't seem like a concert, more like a staged event. If your sitting up close for around $250 a seat, it's probably decent sound and great visuals, but what about the other 60,000 who can't see squat and the sound is mehh.

I love U2 but how much $$ is enough?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #846 on: 29 May 2011, 05:09 am »
Hi :  Don't get me wrong - no disrespect intended towards either U2 or your appreciation thereof. I just don't like stadium concerts in general.

D.D

D.D. -- No offense taken. Stadium shows aren't my favorite either. I have seen U2 in much more intimate settings and prefer those venues. I missed out on the last Pink Foyd stadium show and wish I could do that one over. This was my first U2 stadium show. I have Pop Mart, Zoo TV and The Joshua Tree tour stadium shows on DVD and wanted to experience one live. The different light shows were mind boggling  8) plus the best thing about the evening was my two daughters flew in from out of town and I was able to treat my 3 adult children :lol: to the concert (my step son lives in the Denver area). :thumb: :thumb:

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #847 on: 3 Jun 2011, 05:17 pm »
Buffalo Springfield at the Fox Theater in Oakland CA, June 2, 2011. Terrific concert. It was clear that Neil, Richie and Steve were having a lot of fun playing together and playing Buffalo Springfield songs again. The final encore of Neil's Rockin in the Free World had a bunch of 50 and 60 year olds on their feet rockin like they were in their 20s again :lol:

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #848 on: 4 Jun 2011, 01:30 am »
Buffalo Springfield at the Fox Theater in Oakland CA, June 2, 2011. Terrific concert. It was clear that Neil, Richie and Steve were having a lot of fun playing together and playing Buffalo Springfield songs again. The final encore of Neil's Rockin in the Free World had a bunch of 50 and 60 year olds on their feet rockin like they were in their 20s again :lol:

Laura, I agree. After the show, Ben, my oldest son who's 22, made a comment about striking another item off his bucket list.

One of the cool unexpected things for me about the concert was an aspect of David Rawlings & Gillian Welch's guitar playing. On some songs, the guitar work and tone reminded me of a piano being played. She was playing the left hand and he the right.

mjosef

« Reply #849 on: 4 Jun 2011, 05:23 am »
From a couple weeks ago...

Colin Vallon Trio: Harlem in the Himalayas  at RMA May 20th.
Debut US tour for this Swiss trio to promote their latest album, Rruga, on ECM.
http://unveiledarts.com/event/collin-vallon-trio-harlem-in-the-himalayas
Great venue for purists, all acoustic, no amplified any-instrument.

A busy week ahead for music...Vision Festival starts Sunday, 6/5. And The Blue Note club is celebrating their 30th Anniversary with their very own Jazz Festival all June with concerts at various venues...I'm gonna be leaking money all month.  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #850 on: 4 Jun 2011, 05:52 am »
The final encore of Neil's Rockin in the Free World had a bunch of 50 and 60 year olds on their feet rockin like they were in their 20s again

It's got a nice beat..... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li077gNaW9s

vinyl_lady

« Reply #851 on: 4 Jun 2011, 04:48 pm »
One of the cool unexpected things for me about the concert was an aspect of David Rawlings & Gillian Welch's guitar playing. On some songs, the guitar work and tone reminded me of a piano being played. She was playing the left hand and he the right.

Len,

Bob, Millie & I were having a drink at the Moss Beach Distillery enjoying the ocean view when I read your post on my iPhone. All three of us whole heartedly agree that you described Gillian and David's playing perfectly. That was a real bonus treat to have them play.

It was great to see you and meet Ben & Gavin. I enjoyed the day in Santa Cruz. Thanks for the tour and your hospitality. Remind Ben to email me. Bob took me to Absolute vinyl in San Mateo on Friday. Great store and a great owner.

Laura

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #852 on: 4 Jun 2011, 07:20 pm »
Len,

Bob, Millie & I were having a drink at the Moss Beach Distillery enjoying the ocean view when I read your post on my iPhone. All three of us whole heartedly agree that you described Gillian and David's playing perfectly. That was a real bonus treat to have them play.

It was great to see you and meet Ben & Gavin. I enjoyed the day in Santa Cruz. Thanks for the tour and your hospitality. Remind Ben to email me. Bob took me to Absolute vinyl in San Mateo on Friday. Great store and a great owner.

Laura

Laura,

It was a lot of fun.

Len

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #853 on: 4 Jun 2011, 07:38 pm »
Last week for my b-day took in the Philly Symphony Orchestra presentation of Beethoven's 9th Symphony - powerful stuff.

They warmed up with a Schubert Choral piece that was mighty fine as well.

low.pfile

« Reply #854 on: 5 Jun 2011, 03:50 pm »
Sea of Bees and Stornoway at the remodeled Independent, SF. I learned of both bands only two weeks ago. Bought their albums...both debuts. Then saw them last night. Great night.

Sea of Bees is really just Jules, but had a guest last night on guitar/vocals. She is a real character. Very unique voice and quite a passion. And great song writing. I was a little mesmerized by the combo. http://vimeo.com/23416252

Stornoway, Brit pop meets folk. Very fun music. An electric saw? They did something, for a couple of songs, I've don't recall seeing at a show. Semi acoustic. Drop the vocal amplication and guitar plugs for just the single mic--they did that a few times. Likely very common, but I've never seen it before at a live rock show. The audience loved it.
sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiLO4qPkA64

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #855 on: 11 Jun 2011, 08:08 pm »
pete anderson and the swamp shakers, at the open-air pub "zelta filings" in old riga.  great rockabilly, in the baltics!   :thumb:  at 1100pm, it was still light outside...   :o

http://www.pitsandersons.lv/eng/band

doug s.

Eric

« Reply #856 on: 14 Jun 2011, 03:26 am »
Band of Heathens at Antones in TX

mjosef

« Reply #857 on: 17 Jun 2011, 04:06 am »
Sorta just happened to be riding home and heard music...
Hal Willner’s Freedom Rides Project
@ Brooklyn Prospect Park Bandshell
http://www.bricartsmedia.org/performing-arts/celebrate-brooklyn/2011-season
Music of the Civil Rights Movement
Featuring Geri Allen, Art Baron, Steve Bernstein, Steve Cardenas, James Carter, Rosanne Cash, Carla Cook, Helga Davis, Curtis Fowlkes, Brad Jones, Briggan Krauss, Eric Mingus, JD Parran, Toshi Reagon, Lou Reed, Todd Rundgren, Tao Seeger, James Staten, Jason Walker, Kenny Wollesen

Pulled up and hang out for just over an hour...heard Rosanne Cash, Toshi Reagon, the two Steves, and left when Lou Reed came on to sing 'a Change is gonna come'...sorry Lou but you sounded like you were just reading a script.

mjosef

« Reply #858 on: 18 Jun 2011, 03:14 am »
Caught another freebee concert on the way home tonight...Prospect Park Bandshell.
Junip
the band that predates Swedish-Argentine singer José González’s solo stardom, conjures an expansive and mesmerizing take on his songs in which “González’s classical guitar and weightless tenor float over soul jazz, Afrobeat, Ethiopian funk and krautrock.”
Very trippy music, I will be looking to purchase some of their albums.
http://www.myspace.com/junip

ltr317

« Reply #859 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:51 am »

Friday, June 17th at the Bell House, Brooklyn.

Dean Wareham playing songs from his first band, Galaxie 500.  Dean formed Galaxie 500 with two Harvard classmates: drummer Damon Krukowski and bassist Naomi Yang.  Damon even bought his drum set from another Harvard classmate: Conan O'Brien.  Yes, that Conan.  Dean left the group in 1991, and formed Luna which became my favorite NY band.  At the concert, Dean was joined by his wife Britta Phillips (former Luna bassist) and two other talented muscians.