Pictures of Custom Super 7 Omni Monitors

Louis O

Pictures of Custom Super 7 Omni Monitors
« on: 23 Sep 2016, 10:35 pm »
Hi All,

Pictures of a Custom Super 7 Omni Monitor. They are finished in level 2 Teak.

Thanks,
Louis

ryanmartinson

Re: Pictures of Custom Super 7 Omni Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2016, 10:47 pm »
Beautiful!!

tucsonjohn

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2016, 08:42 pm »
They look beautiful. I am very interested in omni speakers. How do they sound?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2016, 09:17 pm »
They have really nice dimensions like the Super 3i, only bigger, and that beautiful Teak makes them look almost vintage.

BearCityUSA

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2016, 09:18 pm »
Those look great. What is the price if you don't mind me asking?
I'm also curious about mixing drivers in the omni monitor configuration. Maybe a CAM w/RS5 or the Super 7 w/RS5. Have you done these before? This may be more of a phone conversatioon than a reply post. Anyway, thanks Louis for the beautiful things you are creating.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2016, 10:41 pm »
I don't see any info on the Omega site. Are these new?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm »
Enclosure litrage are 40L?

ryanmartinson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2016, 01:23 am »
tucsonjohn, I owned these exact speakers in white ash for a few days. The veneer didn't match our decor like I had imagined so I returned them to Louis and had him make the Teak ones instead (yes, these will be mine soon!) They are replacing some Blumenstein single-driver speakers which I liked very much. All I can say is wow...the sound that came out of them was so good. In comparison the Omegas were smoother, purer, more real, and incredibly dimensional. The music came alive. A different level all together than the well regarded Blumenstein's that was immediately noticeable and made my wife and I laugh out loud. I can't wait to get these back in my house!

One additional note - I also tried them in my office that has an 8 foot ceiling. They sounded great there too, but they were really special in my living room that has a vaulted ceiling. I think that allowed them to shine and convey music in an open, spacious way that I don't think a normal non-omni speaker could accomplish.

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2016, 10:30 pm »
Several months ago, I took delivery of  Omega RS5 "Omni's" in a floorstanding design. Despite the negative rap omni's get, I've found them to present music more in the way I hear it live. Also, a well designed omni disappears in the listening room better than any monitor type I've tried.  And FWIW, I've never had a speaker work better in a small listening room than an omni design. This would include both the Omega RS5 and Ohm 1000. As always YMMV, but don't overlook this design approach.

roscoe65

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2016, 01:54 pm »
tucsonjohn, I owned these exact speakers in white ash for a few days. The veneer didn't match our decor like I had imagined so I returned them to Louis and had him make the Teak ones instead (yes, these will be mine soon!) They are replacing some Blumenstein single-driver speakers which I liked very much. All I can say is wow...the sound that came out of them was so good. In comparison the Omegas were smoother, purer, more real, and incredibly dimensional. The music came alive. A different level all together than the well regarded Blumenstein's that was immediately noticeable and made my wife and I laugh out loud. I can't wait to get these back in my house!

One additional note - I also tried them in my office that has an 8 foot ceiling. They sounded great there too, but they were really special in my living room that has a vaulted ceiling. I think that allowed them to shine and convey music in an open, spacious way that I don't think a normal non-omni speaker could accomplish.

It is possible that the improvement you are hearing with the higher ceiling may be the increased delay from the upward-firing driver.  This agrees with Jim Romeyn's application of Late Ceiling Splash (LCS).  Jim states:

"For ideal ambiance effects, a leading loudspeaker engineer specified ideal delay window or “10ms to 20ms” for reverberant field.  LCS ambiance delay achieves the 10ms target even in a ceiling only 7.6’ (91”) tall and even with the Effects Speaker sited flush with the front wall.

Listeners first hear direct output from the MS which is low in distortion, high in resolution, and high in linearity, pitch accuracy, and pitch stability. There is minimal MS radiation from floor, ceiling, and adjacent sidewall. Primary center fill increases with MS toe-in axis about 12” IFO a centered listener at the sweet spot.

10ms after MS direct line-of-sight output, listeners hear high-intensity ES output reflected off the ceiling. The ear/brain mechanism would perceive earlier arriving energy as distortion. The ceiling increases the height of images and the height of music energy in the room.  There is no other method to reproduce the resulting effect.  ES output creates a deep sense of pleasurable immersion ala MBL onmi-pole.  MBL omni-pole imaging is extremely dense, but outlines are less clear and image size is bloated. LCS approaches MBL image density, but with natural size and outline."

The LCS configuration has the upward facing drivers mounted near the floor level.  This may explain the greater success with higher ceilings in your application.  An alternative configuration would be to mimic the LCS configuration with two Omega speakers.  The primary speaker (stand or floor mount) contains the single forward-firing main driver.  The second speaker should be a monitor speaker placed on its back behind the main speaker firing upward.  If the monitor has a rear port, it should be spaced from the floor to vary floor coupling.

In addition to the increased delay for the ambience driver, we can also expect some additional bass reinforcement due to the floor loading.  I own two pair of Omega Speakers (Super Alnico Monitors and original Super 3 Monitors retrofitted with RS5 drivers).  As soon as I finish with some home improvements I hope to experiment with the this configuration in a small dedicated listening room.

R

ryanmartinson

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2016, 04:41 pm »
It is possible that the improvement you are hearing with the higher ceiling may be the increased delay from the upward-firing driver.  This agrees with Jim Romeyn's application of Late Ceiling Splash (LCS). 

I think that's exactly it. I'd like to try to recreate this in my 8' office as well. Please do report back if you get a chance to experiment!

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2016, 09:27 pm »
I think I would like to try a combo with an alnico and a RS5 at one point. It was mentioned a while back and would like to give it a try.

Thanks,
Louis