Speakers (System?) For Large Hangar?

cloudbaseracer

Speakers (System?) For Large Hangar?
« on: 28 Aug 2016, 11:54 am »
Hey Guys,

Not really sure that this is the best circle but none of the others seemed to fit.

I am looking to find some speakers and a system to go into a large hangar space.  Figure a size of around 45'L x 45'W x 15'H.  I am not looking for this to be a "listening" room or give me audiophile results but if I am going to spend the money I may as well get something decent.

My main listening would be from something like an Ipod but I think it would also be good to have a way to listen to a football game or NPR on the radio.  I will not have internet service. There are options of a used receiver and home audio speakers OR I could go prosound with something like ... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1090922&gclid=CjwKEAjwl4q-BRDtzJmSk-uGunkSJACmCOY-drSEnL-1yQtlTcY-mq7cgDMHdxqCugacZ3AMTpCIlhoCjuHw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C52934714882%2C&Q=&A=details

I am not sure how to get the source into a prosound setup nor do I feel that an off the shelf home stereo system will be loud enough.  Not that I am looking to rock out by any means.  Maybe I don't need some massive amount of power and spl's?  Really just uncertain of the direction to focus my search.

These will more than likely be hung from the ceiling, possible in the corners.  I do not think I will try to use a subwoofer as that just complicates things even further.

I would like to stay under $500 if possible. What can you suggest?

Cheers,
James 

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Speakers (System?) For Large Hangar?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2016, 12:06 pm »
If they don't have to be pretty look for some used pro-audio loudspeakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2016, 12:12 pm »
If they don't have to be pretty look for some used pro-audio loudspeakers.

+1

For background listening think monophonic and invest in one better speaker.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2016, 12:13 pm »
Nope, no need to be pretty.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2016, 02:09 pm »
Are you guys talking about powered pro audio?

How do I get an Ipod or tuner to play through those?

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2016, 02:33 pm »
If you could find about a half dozen of these used you could daisy chain them together (via RCA outs).  It has in input that can be used for an iPod too - http://www.cnet.com/products/polk-audio-hitmaster-speaker-wired-series/specs/

or one could use things like:

https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/speakers/airmotiv-6s

and use an adapter from the iPod to the RCA inputs

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2016, 02:42 pm »
Would think you could get better answers in acoustics circle.

borism

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2016, 03:04 pm »
If you don't mind DIY there is a coaxial speaker on the DIY Sound Group site - the Volt 10lx that combined with a ported enclosure flat pack would be less than $500/pair.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/volt-10lx.html

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2016, 03:38 pm »
Looking for something already assembled.  DIY used would be ok but no work on my end. At least that is the current thought. 

nickd

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2016, 04:10 pm »
Peachtree audio Deepblue2 if you only have 500 bucks and you want to use your iPod or phone and keep it simple.

If you want to spend some time and perhaps a bit more cash, I would say pick up something with a 12" woofer (or bigger) and a horn top end from Altec, Klipsh or Cerwin Vega and a good used receiver or integrated amp with tone controls and have some real fun.

Sitting here listening to a pair of Altec model 14's I restored this summer, and I smile every time I play them. They just sound more like a live microphone feed than anything I have had before. They play loud too with out too much power.

You can have some real fun in a big space like that with a pair of Altec A7's VOTH. (Voice of The Hangar)   :thumb:

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2016, 04:12 pm »
I would check your local craigslist, there is always something big and cheap.

As an example the Tucson craigslist has a pair of Peavy speakers with an amp for $550 but people always take less.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/ele/5723045012.html

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2016, 05:27 pm »
Those Altec Model 14's would be pretty cool. I bet they would be loud enough for any use I would have.

I do think a horn in either home / consumer or powered pro audio is the way to go.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 29 Aug 2016, 12:37 pm »
When I think of affordably filling a large area with sound, and am a little less fussed about perfect sonics, I automatically think Cerwin Vega.

I had a set in the late 80's, and ran a LOT of parties at University off a Yamaha integrated.

Kijiji or Craigslist for the win!

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2016, 12:42 pm »
I suppose I'm not the only one curious as to what is actually IN this hangar? (aircraft-wise) ;)

yeldarb

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2016, 12:33 am »
That is a huge space for one pair of speakers.  Look for used Klipsh Heresy (4), or maybe some ElectroVoice PA speakers.  Don't expect killer deep bass.  The knockdown kit is a good idea.  You could use a knockdown box for a bass driver and top them with horns, ie. econowave.  Or maybe Eminence co-axial.  Parts Express has some boxes.  I have heard the Heresy used effectively in small clubs, upside down and swung on chains from the ceiling.

Tekton Design Lore 2.0 are nice speakers, but twice your price range. 

Some of the theater speakers on the DIY site linked have the output you will need.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2016, 12:37 am »
I'm curious too as to what's in the hangar - not this?

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2016, 01:06 am »
I'm curious too as to what's in the hangar - not this?

No, it's just Kevin's mother.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2016, 08:39 am »
Going with some pro audio gear is definitely the way to go. You should be able to find stuff on your local craiglist easily enough. Active/powered speakers would be simplest, but older ones may only have XLR inputs (easily remedied with a $25 mixer though).

Avoid Alto, Pyle and Behringer. They're cheap for a reason. Actually older non-powered Behringer speakers are ok, but their reliability with amps is questionable unless you know specifically which ones are ok.

Electro-Voice, Cerwin Vega, JBL, even Yamaha all have decent options. Peavey stuff is kinda middle of the road, but more importantly they have been very consistent in quality over the decades while other brands have wobbled up and down. There are tons of options, but I'm not quite as familiar with all the brands in the US.

If buying separate speakers and amps, then for amping you can't go wrong with Crown, QSC or some old Crest amps (assuming they aren't so old that they'll need recapping). You don't actually need to go crazy with the power. I've filled a space much larger than yours using only a pair of 60W amps to bi-amp a set of Yorkville U15 speakers.

Something to also keep in mind with these kind of setups and your speaker is that many of them have particularly strong "beaming" up close. Some speakers have a narrow dispersion pattern (50-60 degrees), while others are larger (90+).

What city are you in? Some of us here could browse through your local craiglist and point out some options for you.

If I had to put together a blind system and throw names around... get two cheap Peavey speakers (with a horn top and 15" woofers), a QSC amp (probably one of the USA##0 family), and a cheap Mackie mixer for miscellaneous connectivity. If there's money leftover, maybe a powered Behringer sub and a Furman power distribution unit.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2016, 03:31 pm by Armaegis »

ohenry

« Reply #18 on: 30 Aug 2016, 10:29 am »
12" pair with bluetooth, fm tuner, and stands.  The amp is mono for the two speakers.  They're cheap enough to buy two sets.  You'd need to split the ipod output and provide one channel to each pair for stereo.  In a hanger, who cares about mono/stereo when you get amps, input flexibility, tuners, remote controls and four speakers/stands for slightly under $500. :D

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RPG122K-12-inch-Speakers-Microphone/dp/B00M3LQLQQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1472551837&sr=8-4&keywords=powered+speakers

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2016, 01:55 am »
Bose 901  :lol: