Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Poultrygeist

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #440 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:08 pm »
Yes, I bought the plug and play Sure TK2050 and Meanwell PS from PE ( under $100 ) and mounted them in a wood case with a plexi-glass cover and drilled holes over the fan. There are pictures in my gallery over at Audio Review.

The original 4 tube Miniwatt ( APPJ ) is still available on ebay for $199. Just search for world's smallest tube amp.

Sam-fi

« Reply #441 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:10 pm »
I have used both ss and tube amplification on my Omens. I used to think that I didn't like tube amplification. That bias has changed with the omens. I now believe that everything is based on system synergy. The omens just love tubes and that makes me love tubes    :thumb:

I think what zu was saying was that the sound would be fine with SS on the omen but that the Soul (because it is so finicky with your source etc. would be better if you just went tube).

One of the beautiful things about the Zu's is that you can pretty much make things as warm as you want but it wont make your system sound fuzzy or sloppy. I get nothing but lean, open, and solid images from the omens in my setup. And the tone is warm and liquid. To me - this is very satisfying.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #442 on: 9 Feb 2011, 09:21 pm »
Yes, I bought the plug and play Sure TK2050 and Meanwell PS from PE ( under $100 ) and mounted them in a wood case with a plexi-glass cover and drilled holes over the fan. There are pictures in my gallery over at Audio Review.

The original 4 tube Miniwatt ( APPJ ) is still available on ebay for $199. Just search for world's smallest tube amp.

Hope you don't mind

Poultrygeist

« Reply #443 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:00 pm »
Yep, that's my Sure amp and with a tube pre it's matches well with the Omens as well as my Tektons 4.5's.

I believe the Omens are rated at 97 dbs but in the real world I would say their efficiency is more like 93db which is the same as the Tekton Fostex driver. A handful of watts is all the Omens need but they seem to thrive on whatever you throw at them.

I would be interested to know how the standard Omens compare to the Omen Defs. How Zu managed to put two 10 inch FR drivers in the same box without them competing with each other seems amazing.

Sam-fi

« Reply #444 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:27 pm »
lol, I took a glance at the network a while back and it seems that they just wired the drivers in parallel and added more fiberglass. I have the Def. They sound absolutely great.

Bugs

« Reply #445 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:19 am »

Very cool.  I liked the pictures.  The Miniwatt must be a single ended pentode? triode?  What kind of power tube is that?  I think I'll be looking at PE this weekend.

Cheers

Eadron

« Reply #446 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:45 am »
Yep, and FedEx claims seems to take a lot of time.. :cry: Here's my case due to poor packaging:

Just heard FedEx has denied the claim!!??..I think I hadn't ever heard of that if I hadn't contacted Zu by myself - ok, they promised me to arrange a replacement pair but I should wait through the production process - but that shouldn't take very long.. :nono: I'm definitely not happy with this situation.. :cry:

jouni

Poultrygeist

« Reply #447 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:12 pm »
Miniwatt S1 same as APPJ PA0803A still sold new on ebay

two 6P1 power tubes ( triode single ended circuit )
two 6J1 pentode tubes

Giant killer tube upgrades: Russian 6P1p-EV and WE403B

morganc

« Reply #448 on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:39 am »
lol, I took a glance at the network a while back and it seems that they just wired the drivers in parallel and added more fiberglass. I have the Def. They sound absolutely great.

Here is an interesting article that describes the parallel drivers in the Dominance (I talked to Gerrit a few days ago at Zu and he said that the Def's are indeed in parallel just as is the Dominance).......
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/dominance/1.html

trackball02

« Reply #449 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:26 pm »
I’m curious to find out if there are any strong opinions when listening to the Omens on a carpeted floor. Is the bass improved if placed on a solid surface (tile, board, etc)?

I had a pair of Omens, returned them, and traded for walnut Superflys, been breaking in the Superflys for the past two weeks. Both are great speakers, the Superflys are even better.

sebrof

« Reply #450 on: 13 Feb 2011, 12:26 am »
I’m curious to find out if there are any strong opinions when listening to the Omens on a carpeted floor. Is the bass improved if placed on a solid surface (tile, board, etc)?

I had a pair of Omens, returned them, and traded for walnut Superflys, been breaking in the Superflys for the past two weeks. Both are great speakers, the Superflys are even better.
I'm on the 2nd floor of my house, and the bass of my Omens tightened up a bit when I placed them on boards. If you're on the first floor with carpet on concrete it would probably be a different story. I also placed the omens on 6" stands and it smoothed them out a little, I think because they're firing more directly at me, more on axis I guess.
What is better about the SFs vs the Omens?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #451 on: 13 Feb 2011, 12:37 pm »
The Omens share their 10 inch driver and super tweeter with the Super Flys. The difference in price is due to cabinet construction. I can't see the SF as a cost effective upgrade over the standard Omens.

I see that Zu has revised their comparison chart. Originally they rated the Omens best when connected to a tube amp's 16 ohm taps. Now it's with an 8 ohm tap. I tried the 16 ohm taps on several amps with the Omens and could tell no difference vs 8 ohm taps.

No doubt Zu is catering to the HT crowd when they list performance of their speakers when paired with receivers. But I would think most of us realize that HE full rangers and tubes make for a better marriage.

morganc

« Reply #452 on: 13 Feb 2011, 10:54 pm »
The Omens share their 10 inch driver and super tweeter with the Super Flys. The difference in price is due to cabinet construction. I can't see the SF as a cost effective upgrade over the standard Omens.

Actually the Superfly uses a more efficient driver, called the HO driver.  This is the same one in the Dominance line.  The Omen and Omen Defs use a less efficient driver.   I'm not sure if this was done for performance or to reach a price point as I've heard both and the HO driver is a bit more dynamic in the Superfly's.  I found it to be even more "live like" and engaging, though both are great in that capacity.

trackball02

« Reply #453 on: 13 Feb 2011, 11:32 pm »
Concerning the difference between the Omen and Superfly, I can’t do a direct comparison; however, the speaker placement is identical and I did not change the electronics and cables. The SF sounds a little more engaging, three dimensional and slightly more detailed. The most striking difference it the integration between the 2 drivers. With the Omens, I was able to tell that there are two distinct drivers, with the SFs I can’t tell. Just sounds more cohesive.  I do not think that it is due to the reverse placement of the two drivers. Right now I have about 200 hours on the SFs, still not broken in completely.   Do not get me wrong, the Omens are fantastic and a great value. I would have been quite happy with the Omens.

The speakers are on the second floor, I definitely will try a board underneath them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #454 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:57 am »
The 10 inch Zu's drivers are made by Eminence of Kentucky. Eminence also makes the 10 inch Tekton Lore drivers as well as Hawthorne's full range drivers. 

morganc

« Reply #455 on: 14 Feb 2011, 04:07 am »
So are the differences due to in house modifications then? 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #456 on: 14 Feb 2011, 12:03 pm »
Zu adds their own unique phase plugs to the stock whizzers that come from Eminence and heavily dope the cones.

Eminence is the largest speaker company in the world but most of their business is in the production of guitar speakers.

Guy 13

« Reply #457 on: 14 Feb 2011, 01:36 pm »
The 10 inch Zu's drivers are made by Eminence of Kentucky. Eminence also makes the 10 inch Tekton Lore drivers as well as Hawthorne's full range drivers.
Hi Poultrygeist and all Audio Circle members.
Tell me if I am wrong but all Eminence drivers are made in USA which is not the case for Dayton, whose drivers are mostly made in Asia ? ? ?
Guy 13

Poultrygeist

« Reply #458 on: 14 Feb 2011, 02:21 pm »
Zu machines their tweeters and builds their own cabinets on site. The drivers are made in Eminence, Kentucky population 3,000. Eminence is located half way between Lexington and Louisville in the heart of bourbon and horse country.

yukiginger

« Reply #459 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:37 am »
I have followed this thread intently and I am intrigued by the Omen and the full range driver speaker concept. Still I wonder if it's worth the gamble for me. I currently have a set of Tyler Acoustics floortstanding monitors that incorporate the SEAS excel drivers (one midbass and one tweeter). I love the detail and resolution they offer me over my previous speakers. They inhabit a 12'x15' or so area that opens on one side wall to the rest of my basement and the rear wall is back probably 25'. I use a Marantz receiver currently as my pre/pro and a Vincent 150 wpc amplifier drives the front speakers. It is a home theater and 2 channel listening setup for me.

My question is whether you think I should experiment with the Zu sound in this Omen speaker. At the price and the satisfaction guarantee it's a very affordable gamble, for sure.

Just seeking some advice and some comments about how happy (or not) owners are with the Omens.

Mark