speaker upgrade

2oldcranks

speaker upgrade
« on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:50 pm »
Ok so I am chasing my tail in circle so need some input.Had modded(still do ) Forte IIs,moved and they are too much for little room now in.Got dynaudio focus 160 and love them but miss the lower end of the klipsch.SOOO rethinking this and considering either focus 260s or diffrent format and switch to magnepan >7 /dwm or spatial M3/M4ts/tm
Room is 12x15x7 and using a 250WPC class D int.Has B&O ice250 module.
Have the 160s on stands I made,easy to place,sublime mid-treble and driver integration.Just a little less bottom end than the Klipschs.So the 260s seem a natural step up being by all acounts just "more" 160.
Problem is all ive ever owned is box/cone speakers and Ive been reading too much on net so curious about gettin outa box
Love to hear opinions about changeing speakers especially if youve moved on/up from focus series Dyns,Red M3Tss would seem to be keeping me up at night but also a local set of .7/dwm that are under my skin now
The maggies would be about 1000 cheaper than M3ts but dont know about yhe black monolith look.
Would spatials outclass/play the little maggies by a significant margin?
Appreciate all responses/opinions
Thanks

Phil A

Re: speaker upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2017, 05:50 pm »
Welcome- best thing to do is take some music and listen. Or you could be crazy like me and have multiple systems with different speakers.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2017, 06:20 pm »
  Fritz Carrera 7BE is a giant slayer. Will mate very well with your amp as well. Home demo available from Fritz.  I have been a planar guy for years audition Fritz and be very surprised as I was. The tweeter is just exceptional.
Or Rethm single driver Trishna I believe. www.rethm.com

charles

DSkip

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:24 pm »
Your room will be a tough one IMO to get great performance from anything but a coffin speaker.  Magnepans, planars, and open baffles usually require some good space behind and to the side of the speakers to overcome room interactions.  This would limit you to a near-field listening situation - not necessarily a bad thing, but something to be aware of.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:37 pm »
I always favor Dipole speakers as Magnepans, planars and OBs.
I feel bad hearing a enclosure that emits sound only forward, the soundstage and individual instruments image be greatly depleted.

Photon46

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2017, 09:30 pm »
I owned Maggie SMGAs and 1.6's for many years. I felt they were a mixed blessing in that they offered a lot of sonic potential for little money but they had two deficits that proved to be deal breakers for me. First, I feel they had subpar bass and I had to have a subwoofer to get a low end that made me happy. Second, I never heard a reasonably priced amplifier (lets say $3500 at the time I owned them, up to ten years ago or so) that made them perform at their best. Yes the speakers were relatively inexpensive, but they had an affinity for expensive power amps if you wanted to coax the best out of them. Maybe current generation Pascal, Hypex, or ICE amps have improved enough that a $2-3k pair of amps could be had now which would get the best out of a pair of 1.7's. Some owners seem to think so from comments one reads. They need room behind the speakers and to the sides, at least 3-4' to create the kind of sound field they excel at, cramped quarters don't serve them well. I don't think Maggies are for every owner or every room, but they can be great values in the right room with supportive ancillary equipment.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2017, 10:54 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC 2oldcranks  :thumb: