Something new that sounds incredible

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #520 on: 17 Oct 2014, 02:15 pm »
I may be persuaded to offer finished crossovers and finished cabinets (not built but painted).  No veneer - I'm strictly paint.

Here are some examples of my work...

Skiing Ninja

I bet something can be worked out. I am not going to start veneering and finishing cabinets though.

ebag4

« Reply #521 on: 18 Oct 2014, 07:42 pm »
A little progress, one crossover complete, one to wire.  I decided to sand my speakers again, I hope I haven't made a mistake by sanding the topcoat on this two part paint.  I hope to repaint tomorrow.

ebag4

« Reply #522 on: 20 Oct 2014, 04:46 pm »
I finished my Wedges last night.  I was able to get the paint looking pretty good after figuring out that you had to lay the final top coat on as heavy as possible without running.

One thing I noticed when installing the drivers, the baffle I dry fit prior to painting did not have a chipping issue around the edge of the driver recess, the baffle I did not dry fit did.  I will have a bit of touch up to the one baffle.  My recommendation is to dry fit a driver into each recess prior to painting, the tolerances are very tight on this baffle.  I had a few other issues that I could have easily avoided, such as not letting hot solder fall on your paint, yes, both speakers  :duh:.  They look good overall, but have several imperfections, I will probably have the next project painted.

I let them play for about an hour before sitting down and listening.  I was only able to listen to two songs, but I realized while I was sitting there I had a big grin across my face, more later.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2014, 11:09 am by ebag4 »

rockdrummer

« Reply #523 on: 20 Oct 2014, 05:57 pm »
Looking forward to your review ebag4.

Also, I am wondering if you powered the wedges with your Bottlehead Stereomour.

Ben

Captainhemo

« Reply #524 on: 20 Oct 2014, 10:29 pm »
Congrats Ed  :beer:
Also looking  forward to hearing more

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #525 on: 21 Oct 2014, 01:10 am »
Good deal Ed. You have the good subs you can run with the Wedges as well don't you? 

How do the Wedges compare to other OB speakers? The Wedges are only the second OB speakers I have ever heard and the first ones I have been able to listen to for more than 15 minutes.

Mike 

ebag4

« Reply #526 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:54 am »
Thanks guys, I haven't had time for much listening yet but plan to set some time aside this weekend.  I am getting about 5 hrs a day on them so buy Saturday I should have 30 hrs or so.  So far they sound great, too early to get into any details, however filling my small room with 3.5 watts (yes Ben, the Stereomour) has not been an issue.  They don't seem to go quite as loud as the the V1s but the difference isn't great (going from memory, I listened to the V1s 2 days ago).  Here are a few pics, they are more red, almost maroon, compared to the orange tinge in the pics. Stands are temporary until I decide what I want to do for a base, right now I think they will remain separated from the bass section, no issues integrating the bass even with just a cursory setting.  Integration can only improve with careful setup.

« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2014, 11:08 am by ebag4 »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #527 on: 21 Oct 2014, 05:24 am »
Nicely done Ed, they look really nice. Really looking forward to your comparisons between your V1s and the Wedges.

Isn't it amazing what you can do with cheap concrete blocks? Someone needs to start a thread on "what have you used concrete blocks for"

Captainhemo

« Reply #528 on: 21 Oct 2014, 03:15 pm »
Cool pics Ed  8)
Love seeing that open Neo3  !

-jay

david45

« Reply #529 on: 21 Oct 2014, 03:31 pm »
Ed, those look great!!
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2014, 04:59 pm by david45 »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #530 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:58 pm »
Those look very interesting and attractive. Please give us a review and let us know what you think.

I really like the simplicity of design and finish..

Very nice...!

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #531 on: 21 Oct 2014, 09:54 pm »
Very Nice Ed!
They look fantastic... :thumb:

Am also looking forward to a comparison to your Vs

Perry

Keithh

« Reply #532 on: 23 Oct 2014, 12:35 am »
Danny - I am not a big fan of subs in music systems, although I have never heard a servo sub, I would be
quite happy with the bass from my X-statics combined with the Wedgies. How would your M series drivers
match up with the Wedgies in a cabinet like your best speaker stand ever?

Guy 13

« Reply #533 on: 23 Oct 2014, 02:37 am »
Hi Ed,
nice job, I like the color anything more or less red is good for me.
At one time you were looking for a pair of speakers for a family member,
did you find anything?

Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #534 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:16 am »
Danny - I am not a big fan of subs in music systems, although I have never heard a servo sub, I would be
quite happy with the bass from my X-statics combined with the Wedgies. How would your M series drivers

No problem.

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #535 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:11 pm »
I built Danny's "sandbox" servo sub and I find the sound quality to be fantastic.  Maybe you can get a demo from a local AC member.

ebag4

« Reply #536 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:39 pm »
Nicely done Ed, they look really nice. Really looking forward to your comparisons between your V1s and the Wedges.

Isn't it amazing what you can do with cheap concrete blocks? Someone needs to start a thread on "what have you used concrete blocks for"
Cool pics Ed  8)
Love seeing that open Neo3  !

-jay
Ed, those look great!!
Very Nice Ed!
They look fantastic... :thumb:

Am also looking forward to a comparison to your Vs

Perry
Hi Ed,
nice job, I like the color anything more or less red is good for me.
At one time you were looking for a pair of speakers for a family member,
did you find anything?

Guy 13

Thanks guys, other than the touchups I am going to have to do to the left speaker around the LGKs I am pretty happy with the way they turned out.

I have still only had time to listen to a handful of songs.  I was listening to Neil Young Live at Massey Hall last night, Helpless was playing; I was transported to Massey Hall, it was a bit eerie, a real "you are there" moment.  I hope to hear a lot more of that type of sound from these.  I have had speakers that have great soundstage and imaging, but I don't recall ever getting to that level of realism, very cool. :thumb:

BTW Guy13, I ended up setting my son up with a set of PSB Alphas and a sub, it turned out he doesn't have room for the Vs anyway.

Best,
Ed

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #537 on: 23 Oct 2014, 06:09 pm »
Yeah, that tweeter is freaking phenomenal. 

jparkhur

« Reply #538 on: 23 Oct 2014, 06:17 pm »
Yeah, that tweeter is freaking phenomenal. 

I agree, this is what i have been pushing for since LSAF in 13.  And putting so much of my time in to getting the neo 3 with these instead of a less expensive dome tweeter.

JP

ebag4

« Reply #539 on: 25 Oct 2014, 02:07 am »
Jon, thank you for your efforts leading to this speaker, they paid off, Danny has a winner.....  I was listening to Steve Miller Fly Like an Eagle, total immersion into the music, it was as if the music was coming from nothing, difficult to explain.  My wife walked by, I called her in to sit in my chair, she resisted, she has no interest in this stuff.  She relented, I played the same track, she started grinning, by the end she had a big smile on her face, I asked her where the music was coming from, she said, everywhere.  When I finally got my chair back  :lol: I moved from Steve Miller to Steely Dan Deacon Blues, same thing, amazing soundstage, enveloped by the music.

I have never heard anything quite like this.  It is still very early in the breakin of these speakers but they are really impressing me so far. 

With regard to volume, I am driving them with 3.5 watts of Bottlehead 2A3 goodness high passed at about 150 Hz.  In my small room they effortlessly go louder than I would listen typically and as loud I would go when really jamming.  I am looking forward to more listening.

I hope this doesn't come off as over the top, it is what I am hearing.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 02:18 am by ebag4 »