VMPS Super Tower III SE for sale on Ebay

Brax

VMPS Super Tower III SE for sale on Ebay
« on: 22 Apr 2013, 01:48 am »
There is a set of VMPS Super Tower III SE on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Super-Tower-III-SE-large-tower-speakers-refurbished-/281096054846?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4172a1683e#ht_494wt_1172

I have no connection to this sale, just thought I'd let anyone that was interested know.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: VMPS Super Tower III SE for sale on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2013, 03:04 pm »
Second image with the woman shows they are stored in a basement.  Way over priced for cosmetic condition IMO and also the upgraded status.  The woman and her smile do nothing to compensate for unknown and unknowable storage time in likely damp basement, which portends very bad things for the cabinet and drivers too. 

If I wanted this model I'd pass on this sample and rather wait for much better sample and be willing to pay more than my estimated value for this sample, which I value about, well, sorry seller, zero, nothing.

When the seller portrays images like this in basement I translate this as: "I lost every possible interest in this pile of shite and and it now rots in my damp basement.  I have no shame in portraying image proving this is my position.  I added a smiling woman to fake stupid desperate shoppers which I hope you are one."     

This model has better bass than most every other VMPS model save for a very few select list.  Slam is just a notch below IRS III, but honestly, I thought I could hear the servo pump on the IIIs, while this VMPS of course has no servo.  I thought I heard the III's servo over-damp after huge dynamic whacks (Telarc Firebird Suite). 

If you buy such model with offset line source, site the line source on the inside except for only the absolutely tightest speaker spacing, like, a few feet. 

Sorry to be harsh on this seller, but he/she asked for it.  The asking price is full original MSRP, which is just plain stupid idiotic for this sample.  Maybe, and I mean extreme maybe, for 9 rated, not updated version where the domes were switched.

I used to love that WCF mid, but now think the best of the cone mids was Brian's own poly cone, which came just prior.  That would be the best cone mid of this VMPS era, which is one of their best overall eras. 

I'm happy to give free phone consultation to shoppers considering used VMPS purchase (no financial interest). 

As I posted elsewhere...if you like the Tower II, do not, I repeat, do not shop for the vertical array but rather shop for the funny looking arc array, which (very strangely) sound better.  Exception might be if you sit 20' away like in Brian's old sound room, but we all know how seldom that is the case.     

persisting1

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2013, 09:05 pm »
Not affiliated with the seller, but that looks like too much natural sunlight to be a basement. Also, Southern California homes are not know to have basements. I can be wrong, but it looks like they are stored in a garage. Not a perfect place for those speakers either.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2013, 09:08 pm »
Not affiliated with the seller, but that looks like too much natural sunlight to be a basement. Also, Southern California homes are not know to have basements. I can be wrong, but it looks like they are stored in a garage. Not a perfect place for those speakers either.

Changes nothing.  If he refused $500 he's an idiot.  How many human beings on this earth want 6'+ speakers regardless their performance, unless they have significant quantity PM?