ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

modwright

ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« on: 1 Jun 2008, 08:18 pm »
There has been so much debate and sharing on this subject, and I have been asked to create a 'sticky' thread that will remain at the top, so here it is!  Thanks to all of you who have supported us with our business and continued your support by sharing your experiences and discoveries with our new ModWright Modified Transporter.

Sincerely,

Dan Wright.
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2011, 09:57 pm by modwright »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2008, 10:21 pm »
Dan, any chance you can cut-n-paste some of the posts of lists/comments in the other threads?  If not, we'll start over here..no problem.

MarkR7

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2008, 10:38 pm »
Dan, do your tube rectifed power supplies (as in my modded 9000es) also support 274b (or a) rectifiers?  Some people use these instead of the 5u4g, I've read...

CometCKO

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:29 am »
Dan, any chance you can cut-n-paste some of the posts of lists/comments in the other threads?  If not, we'll start over here..no problem.

I'll try to add the ones I clipped...  Have to avoid the 1000 character post limit  :D

Mr P
I have a question regarding tubes.  Is the 6DJ8/6922/7308 family of tubes interchangeable with the 6N1P in the Transporter?  I ask because it is an acceptable change in my current pre-amp.  I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my modified Transporter.

Thanks,
Mark
--
Ted
No, it's not.  The other candidates include 6H30's (my least fave), 6CG7/6FQ7, 6BQ7 (my fave so far; gonna try Frank's 6H30 cryo idea, though) and the 6BK7 varieties.
--
Frank S
Ted- just remember the the 6H30s are the DR variety- not just any 6H30.  After several weeks I stand by my initial post that the GZ32 and the 6H30DRs are a killer combo together. YMMV.
--
Philistine
Tubes - I've now settled on the GZ32/6BQ7 combo, but still find the basic 6H30 at the bottom of the pile with regard to sonic performance, so again I'm interested in a few more data points on the cryoed super duper version before taking a listen.     
--
Rydenfan
So, over the last 5 days or so I switched out the stock tubes of the Transporter for a Cryo'd 5AS4 Rectifier and a cryo'd pair of 6BQ7's. I gave them a good 100 hours or so before truly analyzing them. I found them to have a little more refinement and detail over the stock tubes, but I would find my mind wandering while listening to music; something I had not experienced before. Somehow I was less engaged than before. Last night I but the stock tubes back in, and BAM, I was sucked right back in. I do miss a bit of the intricacy of the other set but I am much more involved in the music again. Anybody have any suggestions of what to try next?
--
rpf
I have tried a lot of rectifiers in both the LS36.5 and the Modwright Sony 9100. The best ones I've found are the Mullard GZ32 and GZ37 (black bases, if you can find them).
--
rydenfan
I did not really care for the 5AS4 as well. After a long conversation with another tube vendor today, I think I will be stepping up to a Mullard fat base 5AR4/GZ34 Rectifier and a nice matched pair of 6CG7/6FQ7 RCA cleartop for the signals
--
Ted
BTW, David (rydenfan) and I are comparing notes and coming up with the same conclusions:
We love the GZ32 and/or 5AR4 over the 5U4G(B) as a rectifier, and with the GZ32 find the Sovtek 6N1P's to be slightly forward in the midrange, and somewhat fatiguing vs. 6BQ7's (or David's fave the RCA clear top 6CG7's).  I have a couple pair of 6CG7's but had only tried the inexpensive Electro-Harmonix (good, not great).  Dan sent me long ago a set of used ugly-looking Zenith 6CG7's which I'll listen to tonight...but am ordering a pair of RCA clear tops ($48/matched pair) to mimic David's setup.  Will report back.
--
Philistine
I've settled on the GZ32/6BQ7 combo as my favourite, with the 5AR4/6N1P second.
The 6BQ7's are cryoed, as I haven't tried a non-cryoed pair I cannot comment on the value of cryoing or not.
Both 6FQ7's & 6H30's don't work for me in my system.
--
Rydenfan
As Ted indicates he and I have been discussing this as of late. I am currently using a 1950's Mullard fat base 5AR4 with the RCA Cleartop 6CQ7's. This is far and away my favorite combination. Once I established the 5AR4 as my favorite Recitifer for its clarity and dynamic headroom, I began comparing signal tubes. I first put in the 6BQ7's and they were not for me. I did a lot of A/B comparisons between the 6N1P's and the 6CQ7's. The 6N1P is a considerably louder tube so level matching help my evaluation.  The 6N1P has a very forward midrange which as first can be very compelling; however, I found it to be somewhat fatiguing and harsh. The 6CG7's have excellent detail and clarity and all instruments seemed more in their proper place. I also gained a more holographic imaging. For me, this the most detailed and transparent setup with amazing clarity. Of ocurse YMMV

With all of that being said, I will be trying a few different things once some new tubes arrive. I will be taking the Mullard 5AR4 and putting into the 36.5 to replace the stock 5AR4. I will then place a Mullard GZ32 (very, very similar to the 5AR4/GZ34) into the TP. Also, I found an extremely rare pair of the original production (not the re-issues) 6H30 DR's. Ultimately these will replace the stock 6H30's in my 36.5, but I will first try them in the TP to see what I experience with them in comparison to the sound I have today.

CometCKO

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:30 am »
And more...

--
Ted
So here's my latest combo, although the changes I made last night were late into the session, so I got little time to listen, and little time for the tube to break in.  This is a new combo not tred before in my setup.

I had been using the nice (and cool looking) Philips GZ32 bottle-shaped rectiier tube with the past few signal tube changes.  Thos included the Sovtek 6N1P's (forward and initially impressive, but fatiguing after awhile, with the slightest grunge in the midrange), the RCA 6BQ7's (nice, my previous fave for overall balance) and the beat-up old Zenith/Viking 6CG7's (Dan sent me these awhile ago from his used collection; I was hesitant cuz the Elctro-Harmonix I had were lackluster at best)).  They have been my new fave, due to their detail, bass and overall smoothness.

Last night I decided to bring back my previous fave recitifier, the bottle-shaped Mullard (Sylvania, made in England) 5U4G (not GB) and mate it with the 6CG7's.  In a word...wow.  The depth of soundstage, and the air that I had felt had been missing lately was back in spades.  I'll let this combo settle in before any more changes, including a matched set of RCA Clear Top 6CG&7s whisking their way to me as we speak.
--
Rydenfan
Hmmm, very interesting. Accoring to Dan the Tung Sol 5U4's rock. I may have to look into trying one in a few weeks after I finish my current swapping. I will be really interested in what you think of botht he Rectifier and the 6CG7's
--
Mikel51
Today, I got around to trying some tube rolling.

My first shift was to use an old Mullard GZ37 from my stash.  I immediately noticed an increase in mellowness, a rounding off of the bass, and a reduction in the edge on the highs.  After about an hour of listening, I substituted in an old bottle shaped Tung-Sol 5U4G.  Wow.  I noticed an improvement in richness, improved bottom end and top end, a much richer midrange, an increased holography in the soundstage and a punchier livelier sound.  I did not put the Philco 5U4GB that Dan supplied back in to compare the two 5U4 variants.  I will have to do that one of these days, but am quite content with the Tung-Sol.

I listened to the Tung Sol-5U4G/6N1P combo for a while and was really enjoying the combo.  The only obvious flaw I could pick up was that when there were a lot of instruments playing, the sound could get congested and there was a lack of resolution.  The tonal balance was very good, but there was a boominess in the bottom end on some selections.

Then I inserted a pair of 6H30-DR tubes from my stash that I have had since 2004.  Wow.  These really got me close to perfection.  My first impression was that the 6H30 relaxed the sound, it was less "frantic."  There was a dramatic increase in midrange richness, a more holographic soundstage, and the sound had a better tonal balance from top to bottom.  It was noticeably less boomy on the bass than the 6N1P, but had plenty of bass for my system.  There was also a real increase in resolution, especially noticeable in passages with lots of loud instruments.  In summary, the sound was dramatically improved in all respects.
--
Ted
Mike,
Great first Transporter impressions post!!  The tube info is invaluable.  I too am a 5U4G (not B) fan.  It keeps getting put back even after listening to the nice GZ32.   I ordered a boatload of different 6CG7's this week, inclduing black plates Raytheons, RCA Clear tops and some black plates RCA's and Emerson's (RCA's).

There seems to be a little confusion over the 6H30-DR's, and since both you and Frank S are gaga over them in this application (and since the plain old Sovtek 6H30's are average-at-best in this application) could you explain what variety or telltale signs yours exhibit (i.e are they the newer Russian remakes that David talks about, and therefore a PArts Connexion grab at $125/pair?).

Anybody hear about this one:  in other applications some folks LOVE the Sylvania 1958 gray plate 6CG7's with green lettering.  But have stated that the piece-de-resistance is a Tung Sol 6SN7 with an octal-to-9 pin adapter.  Is this possible; to open up, with an adapter, a bunch of octal tubes to the Transporter tube rolling category?

Thanks again.  This thread is great.

Ted
--
rpf
Don't know if they even fit (another larger hole to cut Dan  ) but has anyone tried a Mullard "High Wycombe" (early "50s) big bottle GZ37 in a Transporter? These are a substantial improvement over the regular GZ37s although costly and getting more so ($200 and up) as they get rarer (only Tube World and KR Audio have them as far as I know). I like it best in the Modwright Sony 9100 although I prefer the GZ32 in the Modwright 36.5 (I've tried a bunch, though not all, 5U4G/GB, 5V4, 5AR4 variants in both pieces).
--
Rydenfan
I cheated a little last night and listened to the 6H30 DR's. I only listened for a few minutes as they had only been powered up for about 2 hours, but so far I like them. Very similar to the detail and clarity I have with the 6CG7's but a way more holographic and 3 dimensional sound, it was almost a little trippy (for lack of a better term). I will listen more tomorrow or Thursday."

I will say that the RCA Cleartops 6CG7's are a very, very good tube. at $48 for the pair they have been far and away may favorite thus far. What I heard last night mimicked all of the qualities of them but also added that extra dimension. I believe the 6H30 DR's are going to be a special tube, but I really want to wait till they have some more time on them to make any real decisions.

My guess right now is that the 6H30 DR's will go into my 36.5 and the 6CG7's will go into the TP, but it is still possible I may need another pair of the DR's so they can run in both the TP and 36.5
--
Rydenfan
I know feel confident in saying the 6H30 DR's best my previous favorite RCA Cleartop 6CG7's. As detailed and clear as the 6CG7's sounded to me, placing them back into my system after having the 6H30 DR's things quickly sounded muddy and congested. Actually, a little surprising to me how drastic the change was. For instance, I feel I can actually hear the location of each drum in the drummer's kit, that is how good the sense of detail and realness is.
--
Ted
I've been on a used and low-priced NOS tube buying spree lately.  All around the 6CG7 signal tube for the TP.  I've settled on the Mullard 5U4G as the rectifier so far (although the Philips GX32 keeps getting its turn at bat).  I've bought, for the signal side:
RCA Clear tops
Raytheon black plates (Made in USA ones, rather rare but inexpensive)
RCA black plates for the late 50's and early 60's
Sylvania gray plates from 1957-58, with green lettering
Sylvania gray plates, from early 60's, with yellow lettering

Up until this latest push I've been most pleased with the RCA 6BQ7's and to a lesser extent the Sovtek 6N1P's.  When I put the RCA Clear Tops in they sounded very bright, as NOS tubes sitting on a shelf for 40 yrs would sound.  After a few days they settled into very fine sounding tubes, the bes...so far.  But then, after reading about some folks liking the cheap USA-made Raytheon black plates I scored a pair for like $15, along with Emersons and the RCA black plates for similar pin money.  The past two days have had the Raytheons warming up, and they are now the benchmark.  The soundstage is deeper, the midranges sweeter, the highs a notch less tizzy than even before.  If David/Frank's feedback on the DR's are that good, I at least know I've got a few back ups for almost no money.  And some folks think the RCA black plates will do almost the same as the Raytheons, with the 1958 Sylvania green labels either a masterpiece  (and find of the year) or ho-hum.  Once Bob and gang leave this weekend the Sylvanias may go in the hotseats. --
--

CometCKO

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:31 am »
And some more...

--
Rydenfan
OK guys, I need to pick my jaw up off the floor a little bit

The last few weeks I have been totally consumed with doing all of my tube rolling in the Transporter, all the while keeping the stock 5AR4 and the 6H30's in my 36.5. After feeling very comfortable with how things sound, last night I replaced those stock tubes in the 36.5 with the Mullard 5AR4 and the 6H30 DR's that I had been evaluating in the TP. I placed a Mullard GZ32 and the RAC Cleartop 6CG7's in the TP so that I would know the difference in sound, if I heard any, was coming from the 36.5. OMG!! The 36.5 definitely responded well to the tube upgrade. The sound immediatly become more robust, very full with a whole new sense of authority and attack, the detail and imaging improved, as well as a pretty significant upgrade in bass depth and control. While I sat on my couch with a giant sh*t eatting grin on my face, I kind of laughed to myself that I had been so focused on evaluating tubes in the TP that I had not given the same attention to the 36.5. On top of that, the GZ32 I placed into the TP is brand new so I am confident I will see even more improvement tonight.

I know this post is not super relivent to the TP but I think there are some others who may enjoy and benefit from this post. As good as the Mullard 5AR4 & 6H30 DR's sounded in the TP, my opinion is that anyone with a 36.5 really NEEDS to hear these tubes.
--
Mikel51
I just inserted my new (actually old) Mazda 6CG7 tubes from Upscale Audio.  These sound very beautiful in combination with the Mullard 5U4G.  Initial impressions are that there is a more liquid midrange and a more ethereal quality than I remember the 6H30-DRs sounding last night.  Also a bit livelier sound.  Since these are brand new, and since I am about to depart for the weekend, I will let them play and break in for a few days and then I will come home and try to do an apples-apples comparison to the 6H30.

But the bottom line is that the Modwright Transporter is a fabulous digital source.
--
Philistine
David, I'm still nervous about blowing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on the 6H30 DR's - some say the latest 6H30's are pretty close to them, depends on the usage/equipment.  I originally blew away my new 6H30's as being to harsh and grainy, but let them run 3 days non-stop again.  They sound smoother now and I like their 3 dimensional holographic soundstage.  They clearly have a lower gain than other signal tubes I've tried and they are do sound bass light (or maybe they're less muddled/woolly).  My 6N1P's sound inferior, in terms of a more 2 dimensional sound and less articulation of individual instruments.  I'm still waiting for a volunteer to compare the 6H30 DR's against the latest (last few years not early 2000's) version.     
--
Ted
I've ordered DR's from Parts Connexion, and have a couple sets of the latest standard 6H30's from Dan, so I'll be able to compare too.
--
Bigfish
I have read through these 29 pages of posts many times but must admit to still being confused as to your favorite tubes in the Transporter.  As I would like to order some tubes would you please clarify for me what you have determined to be your favorite Driver and Rectifier Tubes?  Reading through the posts it would seem favorite driver tubes are the 6CG7 RCA Cleartops or 6H30DRs.  I am totally uncertain about the Rectifier but maybe a Mullard GZ32?
--
Rydenfan
Ken, right now I am using a Mullard GZ32 and the RCA Cleartop 6CG7's. I am very, very happy with this combo. I keep popping in a Tung Sol 5U4GB, but I keep returning to the GZ32. I moved my 6H30 DR's to the 36.5 and love them there.
--
Philistine
I've tried and like:
GZ32 (Mullard)
5U4G
With the 5U4G as the current favorite.
I used to like the 5AS4, but keep going back to the the others.
Next on my list is a 5AR4.

Signal tubes:
I have a pair of 6CG7 RCA Cleartops, but prefer my cryoed RCA 6FQ7's from tube world.
I'm on hold on the 6H30's until Ted compares the new ones against the DR's, I find the new ones to be very 3 dimensional but severely lacking in bass.
--
Ted
My fave rectifiers are identical to Philistine:
Mullard (Sylvania) 5U4G (not B)
Philips GZ32
Mullard 5AR4 (distant third but nice midrange)

Signals:
First tier, in descending order, but all very nice, and order depends on mood     :
Raytheon 6CG7 black plates
Sylvania 1958 6CG7 gray plates (green lettering)
RCA 6CG7 Clear tops
RCA 6CG7 black plates
RCA 6BQ7's
Zenith 6CG7's (I think these are RCA)

Second tier:
Sovtek 6N1P

Didn't like:
Sovtek 6H30's

Waiting on:
Reflektor 6H30-DR's (supposedly wayyy better, and Rydenfan LOVES them in the LS 36.5, so a no-brainer for me)
--
Ted (in response to my query)
Frank,
The 6H30's as stock tubes (the Sovtek Ep or PI versions) were a poor to fair tube in the TP but a nice stock tube in the LS 36.5 preamp.  Well......the Reflektor DR's I bought from Parts Connexion arrived last week and I let them settle in on the TP for about 48-72 hrs.  Then I gave them a listen (with the Philips GZ32 rectifier).  Holy Sh$t....what an incredible difference.  Night and day, really, compared to the regular 6H30's, and easily (yes, easily) the best signal tubes I've yet to hear in the TP.  The dynamics, 3d soundstage and the bass, my gosh the bass!  I listened for two straight nights and couldn't believe how a pair of signal tubes could make such a difference.  But I remembered that some folks like David (rydenfan) liked them even more as the 6H30 replacements in the LS 36.5.  So the next night in the went, and another 24 hrs of settling.  Well......drum roll pelase....they lose NOTHING in that position, and gain the flexibility of adding/rolling different tubes in the TP.   I've settled on my Raytheon Black plate 6CG7's in the TP, with the DR's in the pre.  It's a wonderful sound and one that I could live with forever.  Of course, i'm gonna continue to tweak, but the DR's aren't moving.  They stay in the pre!  Forever.

Net/net, run out and buy them, either for the TP or the 36.5 (and yes, I'm tempted to buy another pair and do both, but something tells me it will be a case of less is more).  They are like steroids, and I'm not sure a double dose is called for.

CometCKO

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:37 am »
And a little more fresh input...

I recently found an early set of Tung-Sol 6CG7's with shields -- not 6FQ7's -- and I'm really liking them a lot.  They have a richer, fuller sound than the RCA clear-tops I tried (which I thought worked well with the GZ32 rectifier, but not as well with my fave Tung-Sol 5U4G).  With all Tung-Sol, at them moment I've got the best sound I've had so far.  Deeper bass, good detail without over-highlighting any instruments, maybe a touch less air, but a midrange to die for.

Ted, I took your advice and ordered a set of 6H30-DR's (beating the deadline for Parts Connexion's 15% sale).  I'll let you know how they work in my system.

Best,

Frank

Philistine

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2008, 02:36 am »
Frank,

Thanks for doing the cut and paste.
More data points:
I found the new 6H30's to have a combination of positives and negatives, for me the negatives outweighed the positives. When I started to read the glowing reviews of the DR version I was very skeptical, it couldn't be night and and day between the DR's and the new version could it?  Well I just had to get a pair to try - and, so far, they are exceptional  :drool:.  Huge 3D holographic soundstage, bags of detail, tight/deep/articulate bass and very smooth.  So far I've just stuck with a GZ32.  Only downside is future availability  :cry:.

Just to confuse the issue I'm also playing with a HiFi Tuning fuse - more about this later.

Phil

« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2008, 02:49 am by Philistine »

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2008, 02:42 am »
Nice job. Thanks.

modwright

274a or 274b
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2008, 05:19 am »
RE the 274a or 274b, I am really not familiar with this tube and don't know.  Assuming that it is an equivalent to the 5U4G or 5U4GB, then it should be compatible.  The key is the voltage drop across the rectifier and also the max operating voltage.  The rectifier will see as much as 600VAC.

Thanks to all for contributing here and I hope that these individual threads help.

Take care,

Dan

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jun 2008, 01:53 pm »
Frank,
Thanks for this.  The cut-n-paste is priceless.

Phil,
By "new" 6H30's you mean stock (EP or PI designation)?  I find it totally confusing and amazing that the DR tubes are 6H30's yet exhibit NONE of their stock counterparts sonics......they are state of the art, their stock counterparts are run of the mill.

Dan,
Thanks for the sticky.  This should be a large thread.   :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jun 2008, 03:00 pm »

Phil,
By "new" 6H30's you mean stock (EP or PI designation)?  I find it totally confusing and amazing that the DR tubes are 6H30's yet exhibit NONE of their stock counterparts sonics......they are state of the art, their stock counterparts are run of the mill.

Exactly - stock means EP or PI, and your state of the art vs run of the mill analogy captures the difference.

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jun 2008, 09:23 pm »
Dan, do your tube rectifed power supplies (as in my modded 9000es) also support 274b (or a) rectifiers?  Some people use these instead of the 5u4g, I've read...

The 274B is a direct heating tube, and likes to see a first stage capacitor of around 10 microfarads, preferrably less. Otherwise you could see a short life-span from the tube itself. It is a wonderful sounding rectifier, and I'd love to run it in the Transporter as well. The tube is capable of handling 90 mA's.

Maybe Dan can check and see if this would be kosher or not?

rydenfan

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2008, 03:06 pm »
Damn, I guess I need to go away for a weekend more often. Dan has a new website and we have our sticky  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2008, 04:15 pm »
I have found that life is much more efficient since I gave up sleep  :o.  Just kidding....

We are always rolling forward though!

Dan

CometCKO

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2008, 01:52 am »
The saga continues.  I've been playing music from singers I've seen in person this year.  This has forced me to conclude that the presentation of my Modwright Transporter with the Tung-Sol 6CG7's is too romantic.  These singers (Vienna Teng, Lyle Lovett, Joan Osborne, The Duhks) are a bit brasher sounding in real life.  Also, what at first was a little shortage of air on top is now become stuffiness.  The RCA Clear-tops don't suffer this problem, altho I did find them a trifle too bright.  But on balance, I still prefer them to the Tung-Sols.  Cello's sound magnificent with the Tung-Sols, but I do think that's the romance talking too.   And piano definitely sounds reticent.  (sigh) :cry:

I'm still waiting for my 6H30-DR's.  I have great hopes for them!

Time for some Beethoven...   bye!

Frank

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2008, 02:31 am »
The saga continues.  I've been playing music from singers I've seen in person this year.  This has forced me to conclude that the presentation of my Modwright Transporter with the Tung-Sol 6CG7's is too romantic.  These singers (Vienna Teng, Lyle Lovett, Joan Osborne, The Duhks) are a bit brasher sounding in real life.  Also, what at first was a little shortage of air on top is now become stuffiness.  The RCA Clear-tops don't suffer this problem, altho I did find them a trifle too bright.  But on balance, I still prefer them to the Tung-Sols.  Cello's sound magnificent with the Tung-Sols, but I do think that's the romance talking too.   And piano definitely sounds reticent.  (sigh) :cry:

I'm still waiting for my 6H30-DR's.  I have great hopes for them!

Time for some Beethoven...   bye!

Frank

What rectifier is this conclusion with?  If it's the Tung Sol 5U4GB's then I would either do RCA 6BQ7's or find some early 6CG7 black plates (Raytheon, etc.).  However, the DR's will surely give you a new sound...I think they're great with the T-S GB's !!   Due to your earlier comments I have a G version on its way from Ebay.

cAsE sEnSiTiVe

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2008, 02:59 pm »
Comet...

You will absolutely love the DR's, especially if you're wanting to gain a bit of neutrality. I am running the DR Supertube in the TP with a 1958 Mullard GZ34 black base rectifier right now...which is a bit on the fat side of things, but have a 1955 metal base Philips miniwatt GZ34 coming. That should tell the tale.

CometCKO

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2008, 04:24 pm »
Comet...

You will absolutely love the DR's, especially if you're wanting to gain a bit of neutrality. I am running the DR Supertube in the TP with a 1958 Mullard GZ34 black base rectifier right now...which is a bit on the fat side of things, but have a 1955 metal base Philips miniwatt GZ34 coming. That should tell the tale.

Thanks for these thoughts!  I played around with a few GZ34's, but I found all of them slow things down too much.  I did not try the Philips you have, but I did try an early Mullard (1950's, brown base), a later Mullard (late 60's, I think, black base), and a Siemens.  But interaction effects are important, as I've discovered, so maybe I'll end up revisiting the GZ34's when my DR's arrive.  I appreciate the suggestion!

Ted, yes, I'm using the Tung-Sol 6CG7's with the Tung-Sol 5U4GB rectifier.  As I said earlier, I DID like the RCA clear-tops with the 5U4 G Tung-Sol more than  I do with the 5U4GB, where I find them somewhat shrill.  Of course, my speakers are electrostats, so they are somewhat brightish to begin with, or at least extremely revealing on the highs.  On your system, YMMV.  I have a set of RCA black plates, but I've determined that they are marginal in quality, so I can't say much about them yet until I get a new set.  I was totally unimpressed with Raytheon/Japan 6CG7's, and I only have one black plate Raytheon, so I need another to try them.  I kinda have a love/hate thing with the Tung-Sol 6CG7's, they're too pretty, but it's sorta nice too.

Looking at some tube data sheets (Duncan amp tube locator links), the 6N1P-EB has a lot more gain than the 6CG7 or the 6H30, and the internal capacitance numbers are similar, but different enough for audible impact.  I wonder if any of the original manufacturer's tube data sheets would provide enough information for us to track down the tube characteristics that are audibly positive/negative?  Need to brush up on my tube lore (learned from Bruce Rosenblit's excellent book on designing tube amplifiers).
For the 6N1P-EB http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/HiFiAudio/6n1p.html
For the 6CG7 http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6CG7
For the 6H30 http://www.triodeel.com/6h30.html

I'll post as I gain more experience.  Off to enjoy the music!

Frank

Philistine

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2008, 05:11 pm »
6H30 DR
I've tried the following rectifier tubes:
5U4GB (Tung Sol)
5U4G (Emerson)
5AS4 (Super Radiotron)
GZ32 (Philips/Mullard)

So far I prefer the GZ32 in my system, but would love to try a 5AR4.
RCA Cleartop 6CG7, sound OK but I have a pair of Cryoed RCA 6BQ7A that out perform them - the 5U4G is the best rectifier match in my system with this family.

6N1P's - best sounding 'modern' low cost tubes, but blown away by the 6H30DR's.  Is there a 'DR' equivalent of the 6N1P's, or maybe get a pair cryoed? 

I have stopped my signal tube search with the 6H30's - only quest now is GZ32 vs 5AR4, and potential to cryo.