problem with multiple apple remotes

pjwd

problem with multiple apple remotes
« on: 8 Sep 2015, 09:27 pm »
Hi - I am using the preamp in a HT system which includes apple TV as well as 3 other sources - the problem is the remote for each  activates some  commands  on the other devise and everything gets out of whack - has anyone else had this problem and found a solution - I have a geek pulse on the way and the mind boggles at 3 apple remotes !

Thanks,

Phil

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: problem with multiple apple remotes
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2015, 09:53 pm »
Hi - I am using the preamp in a HT system which includes apple TV as well as 3 other sources - the problem is the remote for each  activates some  commands  on the other devise and everything gets out of whack - has anyone else had this problem and found a solution - I have a geek pulse on the way and the mind boggles at 3 apple remotes !

Thanks,

Phil

I'm interested in understanding this better so I can figure out the best possible solution. Below is my understanding of the Apple remote.

Each Apple Remote has an ID number which can be anywhere between 0 and 255. The idea behind the ID number is to avoid the situation you are describing. When each remote has its own unique ID, there shouldn't be any conflict. The Tortuga Audio firmware only responds to the Apple remote with the ID number that has been paired with the Tortuga preamp. It will not respond to other Apple remotes unless just by chance those other remotes have the same ID (1 chance of 256 of this happening assuming Apple randomly assigns remote ID numbers).

The Apple remote ID can be changed by simultaneously pressing both the Menu and the Enter/Center key on the Apple Remote for 5+ seconds and then releasing. This will change the ID number to some new random value between 0 and 255. After changing the ID you will then have to pair that Apple remote with your Tortuga preamp (or some Apple product).

If, after changing the remote IDs such that each remote has its own unique ID number, each component should ("in theory") only respond to that Apple remote and not the others with a different ID.

Please let me know if that is not the case.

pjwd

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2015, 12:14 pm »
Thanks for the response - I am away at the current time but will have a look at this in a few weeks time when I am back - there does seem to be a limited crossover of controls but I will set them up again with new ID as you suggested and see if that solves the problem  - I was fiddling with  changing settings on preamp and looked up at the screen and saw I was one click away from buying a Justin Bieber  song on I tunes - very scary!
Cheers,

Phil

pjwd

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2015, 01:29 am »
finally got back and re paired both apple TV and preamp and it seems to be OK now - interestingly pre remote still causes apple TV to blink but does not seem to activate anything

Thanks for your help

now to get apple TV and HDMI switch to work with optical out on apple - it never ends ...

Cheers,

Phil

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2015, 06:04 pm »
finally got back and re paired both apple TV and preamp and it seems to be OK now - interestingly pre remote still causes apple TV to blink but does not seem to activate anything
Thanks for your help
now to get apple TV and HDMI switch to work with optical out on apple - it never ends ...
Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil,

Glad you got it worked out. Even though the Apple remote has 256 possible ID numbers (allowing pairing of different remotes with different devices) it appears that each Apple device still responds (at least minimally) to any Apple remote regardless of its ID number. Seems like a bad idea but I've received a few reports of this now so it appears to be an Apple "feature"....such as it is.

Best,
Morten