Ughh, I think I damaged my IR Receiver

ebag4

Ughh, I think I damaged my IR Receiver
« on: 16 Dec 2013, 01:31 am »
Hi Morten,
I received my new chip, plugged it in and everything was great.  I decided to put the unit in a more permanent housing, turned it on, nothing.  I noted I had my +5V and G connection reversed to the receiver.  I have checked evertying else and it appears to be correct.  What are the chances I have destroyed the IR receiver?  Is there something else I can check?  I have checked wiring continuity and voltages, everything appears to be correct, the unit will not turn on.

Thanks,
Ed

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Ughh, I think I damaged my IR Receiver
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:07 am »
Hi Morten,
I received my new chip, plugged it in and everything was great.  I decided to put the unit in a more permanent housing, turned it on, nothing.  I noted I had my +5V and G connection reversed to the receiver.  I have checked evertying else and it appears to be correct.  What are the chances I have destroyed the IR receiver?  Is there something else I can check?  I have checked wiring continuity and voltages, everything appears to be correct, the unit will not turn on.

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Yes, you bricked the little IR receiver.  :duh: They don't like it when the electrons try to run backwards. Happy to send out a replacement. Sent you an email.

Even though it can't respond to the remote, you can still turn the unit on by touching ES to ground (same as if you had an encoder with switch). A momentary pull to ground will start the unit. A pull to ground of between 3 but less than 5 seconds will subsequently turn it off. That way you check to make sure the unit works and it's just the IR receiver.... which is mostly likely the case.

Cheers,
Morten

ebag4

Re: Ughh, I think I damaged my IR Receiver
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:14 am »
Thanks for both replys Morten, much appreciated.  I sent you a reply via email.

Best,
Ed