Tempest/Stratos Mono Extremes w Magnepan 3 Series

beancounter1

Tempest/Stratos Mono Extremes w Magnepan 3 Series
« on: 22 Feb 2018, 09:16 pm »
Is any one in the world of Odyssey using the Tempest/Stratos combination with the Magnepan 3 series? If so what do you think?  :scratch:

aaron.luebke

Re: Tempest/Stratos Mono Extremes w Magnepan 3 Series
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2018, 07:29 pm »
I ran MMG's with that combo.  I understand that's quite a step below the 3's but it did work very well.

beancounter1

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2018, 09:56 pm »
Thanks for your input.

mclev

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2018, 06:36 pm »
I'm running a new pair of Khartago monos with Mangeplaner 3.3R series. The monos are still breaking in, but are improving daily. I would not say they are below the Maggies. I've heard the Maggies driven by quite a number of amps. The Khartago's are very good fit -- asuming you plan to get new Odyssey equipment. If you talk to the folks at Magneplaner, they will tell (as they did me) that you need a high current amp -- not necessarily a super high wattage amp. That's what the Odyssey is and why my Maggies like them.

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2018, 09:27 pm »
I'm running a new pair of Khartago monos with Mangeplaner 3.3R series. The monos are still breaking in, but are improving daily. I would not say they are below the Maggies. I've heard the Maggies driven by quite a number of amps. The Khartago's are very good fit -- asuming you plan to get new Odyssey equipment. If you talk to the folks at Magneplaner, they will tell (as they did me) that you need a high current amp -- not necessarily a super high wattage amp. That's what the Odyssey is and why my Maggies like them.

I had a custom made Stratos/Kismet made  last year(2017) with 850 VA transformer & 35 K SL caps  since I am selling my Maggies 1.7i but using the same amp for my new Daedalus Poseidon, they really sing , absolutely magic ! with high current,  very linear response.

beancounter1

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2018, 02:02 pm »
I already have the Stratos/Kismet mono amps and also a stereo Stratos/Kismet stereo amp with the Tempest Extreme. I had a pair of the mono Khartagos before I stole my Kappa 9s in an Ebay auction. They actually did a pretty good job at low volume levels powering the beasts. The Tempest/Stratos combination however sounds overly bright with the Infinity SEMIT and EMIT tweeters so I wondered if it would be the same with the Maggie 3.6s ribbon in particular. There is a pair for sale locally.

GentleBender

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 12:28 pm »
You may want to re bias the amps to match the speakers. You could call Klaus or ask for the instructions. Could solve your brightness issue.